Behmor bit the temporary dust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behmor bit the temporary dust!

Cleaned my Behmor the other day (opened it up, swept and vacuumed out the insides), tried a roast the other day... and strangely the heat elements both went really really bright (noticeably so), and then shut off. My temp monitoring was ALL over the shop, alternating between the positive and negative in the hundreds!!! Now the roaster won't heat up at all..

Did a systems test and everything works except the heat elements (and the afterburner strangely, but it works when I hit 'Cool'). Have lodged an enquiry with Behmor and they said it's possible damage was done while cleaning, and to check the connections to the elements, which all look fine. So HOPING it's just the quartz elements that need replacing and not the side circuit board as well (wouldn't know how to know whether the circuit board was damaged!).

There is also some strange white globs of something on the inside board (2 to be precise) almost like a harder blu-tac, unsure if that's normal haha. Don't know my electronics!

Will keep ya posted, thought I'd put this in case anyone else needed help with this happening too.

Oh and had it for 7 years with 210 roasts done on it, pretty good run without anything major happening!

Comment

I guess it is possible that it is only the circuit board that is fault (particularly given your description of the afterburner diagnosis). Changing the circuit board is definitely a life-enriching experience. I'd recommend it to most people who like swearing and throwing tools at the cat. Interesting to see what it turns out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by simonsk8r View Post
        Oh and had it for 7 years with 210 roasts done on it, pretty good run without anything major happening!
        Hi Simon, sorry to hear about your issues.
        Just for some perspective, how many kgs of green beans do you reckon you've put through it?
        Cheers
        Mal

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
          I guess it is possible that it is only the circuit board that is fault (particularly given your description of the afterburner diagnosis). Changing the circuit board is definitely a life-enriching experience. I'd recommend it to most people who like swearing and throwing tools at the cat. Interesting to see what it turns out to be.
          Yeah true... ugh that'd be interesting changing that over haha.. Although I did read that apparently the afterburner not lighting up in the test was a minor bug in earlier models... it works fine otherwise. But hmmm will see. The elements actually have like really white smatterings on both of them, but unsure if that's normal
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brewster View Post
            Hi Simon, sorry to hear about your issues. Just for some perspective, how many kgs of green beans do you reckon you've put through it? Cheers Mal
            Yeah it was annoying at the time but nothing lasts forever, hoping it's a simple fix. Hmmm I could only estimate... 210 roasts at about 300-350g per roast brings to between 63-73.5kg that I've roasted in it.

Comment

• Brewster
              Brewster commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the info Simon.

Yeah true... ugh that'd be interesting changing that over haha.. Although I did read that apparently the afterburner not lighting up in the test was a minor bug in earlier models... it works fine otherwise. But hmmm will see. The elements actually have like really white smatterings on both of them, but unsure if that's normal
            My elements have a little of that smattering on them (maybe not so much as yours). I figured it was probably Simple Green that escaped, or Colgate.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry O'Speedwagon View Post
              My elements have a little of that smattering on them (maybe not so much as yours). I figured it was probably Simple Green that escaped, or Colgate.
              Ah yep, I'm fairly certain Simple Green has unintentionally made its way on there :s. I know the manual strongly suggests to nooot to do that haha, I've tried to be careful but yeah it happens...

Comment

• Barry O'Speedwagon
                Barry O'Speedwagon commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeh I've not pointed the Simple Green anywhere near the elements, but I suspect it creates a little bit of an aerosol effect in the roasting chamber and some ends out landing on them anyway.

Own a multimeter?
              (with the roaster unplugged - because 230V can kill but you knew that)

Remove both side panels and see what the resistance of each element is.

Getting a multimeter probe to the right side is tricky but doable, left side is easy.

Out of more than 3500 roasters I've only seen a few crook elements and a couple of those were broken during cleaning with a brick or a hammer I guess. Elements typically work forever even with white burnt chaff stains on the glass cover

There is also some strange white globs of something on the inside board (2 to be precise) almost like a harder blu-tac, unsure if that's normal haha
              Picture?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                Own a multimeter?

Getting a multimeter probe to the right side is tricky but doable, left side is easy.

Out of more than 3500 roasters I've only seen a few crook elements and a couple of those were broken during cleaning with a brick or a hammer I guess. Elements typically work forever even with white burnt chaff stains on the glass cover

Picture?
                Thanks Andy, no I don't own a multimeter unfortunately.

And yeah it's had a bit of mileage but have looked after it.

Ahhh that's what those stains are! That makes perfect sense haha, chaff burns

Yeah have uploaded pics below. I'm sure it's some bonding that I haven't a clue about, but could be something else. So it's the two white blobby things on either side of the black thing (my electronics knowledge coming in there!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_160623.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	837364 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_160607.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	837365 Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_155308.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	837366

Comment

• saeco_user
                  saeco_user commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks like some sort of potting compound. Possibly covering something that needs protection.

Oh and some more fun. Here's what my Heatsnob recorded as it happened, was a wild scene man!
                Attached Files

Comment

I don't own a multimeter unfortunately.
                  Choose "phone a friend"
                  ...shouldn't be too hard to find someone with one that you can borrow for half an hour.
                  Or you can grab one for about $30 from Jaycar. Useful thing to own.

it's the two white blobby things on either side of the black thing
                  Entirely normal on that era circuit board..

Heatsnob recorded as it happened
                  Thermocouples work with tiny voltages, noisy electrical devices (like dying components on a circuit board) will transmit "noise" and disturb the voltage signals.

In manual mode, do you get an audible click in the right side of the roaster when you go from P1 manual (elements off) to P5 manual (elements on)?

Comment

Choose "phone a friend"
                    ...shouldn't be too hard to find someone with one that you can borrow for half an hour.
                    Or you can grab one for about $30 from Jaycar. Useful thing to own.

Entirely normal on that era circuit board..

Thermocouples work with tiny voltages, noisy electrical devices (like dying components on a circuit board) will transmit "noise" and disturb the voltage signals.

In manual mode, do you get an audible click in the right side of the roaster when you go from P1 manual (elements off) to P5 manual (elements on)?
                    Sorry for the delay, I tried a bunch of different times, going from P1 (manual) to each of the heat settings. Yep I get that audible click every time, but seconds after, I would get the "off" click on its own (or that click noise it would usually make when you go BACK to P1 manual, or 0%).

It sounds like it switches on then off! And funnily enough, as I left it, it kept clicking on and off indefinitely at certain intervals (all except the P5 manual, that only did the initial click). But at no point do the elements heat up at all still.

The time before that second "off" click varied:

P2 5s
                    P3 10s
                    P4 14s
                    P5 only was the initial click but no "off" click

Ah okay, would you say it's best to get a multimeter and test that, would that be the way to figure this out?

Got a reply from Behmor and they've given me instructions on how to replace the elements and side circuit board, but that it's hard to say which one it is. With the elements, if one goes out,the other will not function, as they do work in a series.

And said maybe run this by Coffeesnobs (Andy Freeman) for a 2nd opinion on what to order. If email is easier to figure this out that's fine haha, good that others can see the process though if it happens to theirs!

Thanks a bunch for all assistance

Comment

good that others can see the process though if it happens to theirs!
                      I don't agree, 3500 roasters not doing this, 1 roaster is.
                      Plastering this in public creates confusion when someone has a problem vaguely similar, far better to do this off-line.

We always publish clear solutions to problems that others might have to avoid threads like this,

I specifically said:
                      when you go from P1 manual (elements off) to P5 manual (elements on)?
                      I didn't say go to P2, P3, P4 just P5. Just like I didn't say lick it and see if there is voltage there!

If you want to free-wheel go for it, if you want my help with an well out of warranty roaster please follow simple instructions to save us all time, hassle and importantly, potential danger.

Q: Ah okay, would you say it's best to get a multimeter and test that, would that be the way to figure this out?

That was answered previously:

Own a multimeter?

Comment

I don't agree, 3500 roasters not doing this, 1 roaster is.
                        Plastering this in public creates confusion when someone has a problem vaguely similar, far better to do this off-line.

We always publish clear solutions to problems that others might have to avoid threads like this,
                        That's totally fair enough, understood.

.. as to the rest I have emailed you, thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X