Another new roaster...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new roaster...

Hi everyone, Starting ofc roasting here in a popcorn popper. I have 2 poppers from the local op shops A breville crazy popper and a treat factory popper. From what ive ready the crazy popper is the way to go and using a soup can as a chimney. Can anyone suggest the correct bean weight for this machine? Bean i have to use is Colombia Popayan Reserve. If this all goes well may look at the corretto setup
    Last edited by Minitombo; 1 week ago.

From my experience with a popper - roughly 50g works well. Basically any more and they go ballistic at first crack.

Honestly you are better off going straight to a correto

Comment

Originally posted by WhatEverBeansNecessary View Post
      From my experience with a popper - roughly 50g works well. Basically any more and they go ballistic at first crack.

Honestly you are better off going straight to a correto
      I agree, 50 grams is just not worth the effort, @ 18 grams per shot not even 3 cups of coffee.

PS, a Coretto is pretty straight forward, inexpensive and easy to set up MT, plenty of advice available on this forum.
      Last edited by Yelta; 1 week ago. Reason: Afterthought.

Comment

The thing to be aware of, is that roasting time decreases as weight of beans increases - which seems counter intuitive at first. I've found I can roast up to 70g of certain bean types and get 7-8 min roast but that is really pushing it and the margin for error is small. So keeping to ~50g allows for more control and larger margin for error in stopping the roast around second crack.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I had read the breville crazy popper was best at 100 -150g with a chimney. I know i am going to waste a few roast ad part of the learning process. But will be trying to keep this to a minimum Will be building a corretto but in the mean time will use the popper.

Comment

• WhatEverBeansNecessary
            WhatEverBeansNecessary commented
            Editing a comment
            The problem with a popper is it puts out too much heat most of the time. So when you get to first crack and you want to lower the heat input you can't. That being said you might be able to get slightly larger batch sizes. But even at 100-150g you are still only getting a few coffees.

A coretto you can build in an afternoon easy peasy. But you are also best getting a thermo couple so you can log the heat. CoffeeSnobs sells one called 'heat snob'- highly recommend as that is what I have.

The 2 popcorn makers

Comment

Working...
          X