A good cup of coffee in Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good cup of coffee in Singapore

Ill be going back to Singapore in September, well the coffee scene is well dominated by the Starbucks, Coffeebeans, Spinelli etc and of course butter roasted (according to a friend) coffee. I dont remember a good cup of coffee there.

Anyone tried a good one there?

the sad thing is I can find good coffee roasters.... and Ive yet to put my hands on roasting :-/

Re: A good cup of coffee in Singapore

Unfortunately no Joerg

I was there in February and the way I managed was to drink instant for the first week <ugh!>. That way the Starbucks I had there in the second week didnt taste too bad. In other words I was forced to lower my standards. I went to a p-lace called Clark Quay where there was a couple of streets with an international themeMIGHT have a place that serves drinkable coffee.

You could also try one of the 6 star hotels there - have a high tea. They may serve a decent coffee but it might cost you $10 or more. My wife and I went to the Fullerton which is the old GPO refurbished. Worth a visit anyway.

Comment

hey Joerg. I havent been to Singapore for a while, but I do know that there was a long thread on coffeegeek about this subject.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/worldregional/australasia/310510

and a more recent one

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/worldregional/australasia/57728

personally, Ive always gone for kopi when in Singapore, Malaysia or Indonesia. Mind you, that was before i developed a serious problem with espresso!

Comment

Originally posted by hazchem link=1215607795/0#2 date=1215609104
        personally, Ive always gone for kopi when in Singapore, Malaysia or Indonesia. Mind you, that was before i developed a serious problem with espresso!
        I agree, go the cultural route. I did manage to get a good espresso at ... Coffee Bean (?) but that was pure luck.

Comment

Hey Flynnaus & Hazchem,
          Thanks for the information. Just to quote Taoster on Coffeegreek:
          "I think Kopi is made using 100% robusta bean lol, very strong burnt flavoured beans. What you need to ask for are:

Kopi ; with condensed milk
          kopi-o ; with sugar but black
          kopi-c ; with condensed milk and sugar
          kopi-gosong ; just black no sugar.
          Those coffee (kopi) cost about $A0.70 (can you believe it?). It is made from a hot coffee made by dipping ground coffee contained in a cloth strainer in hot water. This method is often found in this region.

Well, I had a dream- that a CSer would run a cafe there, and solves all the hassles!

Comment

I was there recently.

Check out Highlander Cafe. They are doing the right things with coffee. It is away from the shopping areas and malls, but so worth the trip. Passionate owners & staff. A taxi from orchard rd is about S$7, bus available too.

Whitebait & Kale, Peaberry & Pretzel & Geek Terminal should be looked at too.

It is possible to get decent shots from some of the Spinelli outlets, if one of their better baristas are behind the machine. It is too random though... like russian roulette with 5 out of 6 chambers filled with bullets!

Before I found Highlander, my coffee in singapore was from Bakerzin (Illy) or the local kopi sweetened with condensed milk (developed a taste when working there years ago).

My first trip there and I spent half the day drinking espresso, using their free internet and talking with staff & the geeks that came in.

Comment

Originally posted by joerg link=1215607795/0#4 date=1215646569
              Hey Flynnaus & Hazchem,
              Thanks for the information. Just to quote Taoster on Coffeegreek:
              "I think Kopi is made using 100% robusta bean lol, very strong burnt flavoured beans. What you need to ask for are:

Kopi ; with condensed milk
              kopi-o ; with sugar but black
              kopi-c ; with condensed milk and sugar
              kopi-gosong ; just black no sugar.
              Hehe. The last one literally means burnt coffee.

Comment

Hi all,

Ill second the Highlander recommendation. Just had 5 cups there tonight and Im bouncing off the ceiling... keep it coming though.

www.highlandercoffee.com

Cheers!

Comment

Travel to Singapore regularly - stay near Suntec and dont have the time to travel far - surrounded by the usual starbucks and others that cant make a good coffee. Did find one that have a proper machine, used real milk (many use UHT which gives it that unusual taste), made microfoam and generally knew what they were doing - it was the Gloria Geans in one of the large shopping centres around Suntec. Was significantly better than anything else in the area.
                  Cant remember the name of the shopping centre - will see if I can hunt down a receipt.

Comment

Singapore - where to get great coffee?

Im going to Singapore in a few weeks, and as I cant lug my VBM across without going over the airline weight limit , Id like to know if anyone knows of a great coffee spot for my morning fix (where I wont be inclined to jump behind the counter and make my own ).

Ill be staying at the Fairmont, 80 BrasBasah Road, Singapore.

Thanks. Heres hoping...

EDIT: thanks Mal for moving my post here: looks like Ill be cabbing my way down the street each morning to Highlander!

Comment

The shopping centre was probably either Millenia Walk, Marina Square or Raffles City.

Yes, Highlander is definitely the best place in Singapore to have espresso coffee. Will vouch for them myself. In fact it is also the cheapest place to have a decent coffee in Singapore. Near Outram MRT station, opposite the Singapore General Hospital.

They roast their own beans as well as sell domestic machines.

Comment

It was marina square....
                        not GREAT coffee, but GOOD for Singapore, and drinkable (esp for that first cup in the morning)

Comment

Hey Intellidepth,
                          Heres some information:
                          Highlander is opened Mon to Sat 9am to 6pm
                          Closed on Sun and Public Holidays
                          49 Kampong Bahru Road, Singapore 169362
                          Coffee Bar Tel: +65 6223 7102

John Ting (Spore 2008 Barista Championship top 3) works in Spinelli Coffee
                          One Raffles Quay (North Tower) #B2-01
                          1 Raffles Quay (S)048583

Keith (Spore 2008 Barista Championship top 3) works at Whitebait & Kale
                          #01-01, 1 Orchard Boulevard, Camden Medical Centre
                          Singapore 248649
                          Tel: 6563338697

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more information.

Comment

1. Highlander Cafe

2. Leos Espresso Bar @ Raffles Place

3. Dimbulah @ Raffles Place (not sure if they are still there)

4. Superfamous @ Raffles Place

Quality on the second one depends. The third one used to be rather good but I havent tasted their coffee in a while.

I cant find any good coffee around the City Hall area! Any one has got any recommendation on that?

Comment

Saw this Sooma Coffeehouse, located along the shophouses besides Great Eastern Centre. They allow their customers to scribble on their walls, and seems that lots of Aussies left their mark. Most sang praises, claiming the coffeehouse serves the best Flat White in Singapore. Tried the Cappuccino, and must say its the best foamed milk Id in Singapore thus far.

Sooma Coffeehouse
                              3 Pickering Street #01-04
                              Singapore 048660

Tel: 62242559

Comment

Working...
                              X