Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellington NZ

Posted on behalf of Slowcoffee

Wellington (despite the wild weather ) is well worth exploring when next in NZ. I left my heart behind back in January, when my husband brought me kicking and screaming back to Oz after a brilliant 2yr stay. Could write a book about all thats amazing over in Wellington (and NZ), but will stick to the cafe culture, as thats what this forum is meant to be about!

Astoria - 159 Lambton Quay - the only coffee (latte) Ive ever gone up to thank/congratulate the barista for :-*! Also great food (shoestring fries with mayo to die for - though make sure you try the coffee first)!

Caffe LAffare - 27 College St - full of character in a somewhat grungy part of town. Great coffee and thankfully also welcoming of those with small children (already being instilled with the joys of hanging out in cafes).

Mojo Coffee Cartel - 182 Wakefield St (and various other locations) - have been mail-ordering their coffee beans (Dr Mojos Medecine) since my return to Oz. Feel a little guilty though :-[, as I should be sourcing beans locally to cut down on those food miles!

Cafe Villa - 61 Ottawa Rd, Ngaio - my old local, though mostly for take-away lattes on my way to or from kindy/school. Great coffee, interesting food, but somehow a little lacking in friendliness/warmth from the staff :-/.

There are a number of others that stand out for their amazing location (more than for their amazing coffee), but will leave that for next time.

Re: Wellington NZ

Definately agree with the first 3 from what friends in Wellington have said. Dont know the 4th one.
    Have a friend who used to order roasted beans from Cafe Laffare until after I had sampled some I mentioned there was no roasting date. She emailed them and now they send her fresh !
    Well done CLF.

Comment

Did you notice the wee plaques all over the place that said "this used to be the shoreline before the big earthquake of XXXX)" I cant remember the year.

I was a wee bit shocked and told OG, erm havent you kiwis heard of "what comes up must go down...."   ;D

Comment

I can usually get a pretty good coffee from Astoria. I was there a few weeks ago though and ordered a long black and was met with "Would you like milk in that?"

:-?

Um. No, thanks.

Anyway, it was a good coffee. I also enjoy sitting in and admiring the roaster they have up against one of the walls.

As for other places in Wellington, I had an excellent espresso from Superfino - 76 Ghuznee St. If you get the right barista Fuel coffee can be an exceptional brew. Laffare is also a good one to try, both at their cafe and using their beans at home.

Comment

Just had lunch at Cafe LAffare.

Had an espresso and a flat white, pulled on their 4grp Wega Nova and Robur with custom cooling fan. Watching the pours (both double basket & naked pf), they were increadibly slow, literally juuust oozing and dripping for the duration of the poor. As a result the body and mouthfeel where huge, the crema seemingly coating my lips for 20-30 sec after each sip. The huge body/mouthfeel was at the expense of a great depth of flavours, not too much sweetness and a decidedly savoury profile. There was a slight hint of bitterness, which was most likely due to the tight poor again, though this wasnt enough to detract too much from the overall cup.

The cafe itself has a great relaxing atmosphere, warm with a bohemian influence offset (nicely!) by the Aston Martin Vantage in the loading dock. The roasting area is open at the back of the building, next to a nicely kitted out training room.

Overall a great place to relax and while away some time with a coffee in hand. I will definately be making another visit when Im next in Wellington.

Another place that looked good, though I didnt have time to check it out, was Mojo Coffee on Kent / Cambridge Tce. Great looking Faema E61 on the front counter. Next Time!!!

Cheers,

Michael

Comment

Well just had a quick trip to Wellington to attend my first cupping session at Coffee Supreme , 35 Hopper St.
            I also tried a few coffee spots along the way and have some pictures from Cafe Laffare and also the roasting area and cupping room at Coffee Supreme. Will add later.
            Mojo Coffee Cartel (Wellington Airport) : Over extracted triple shot flat white in small cup. Probably would of tasted fine but I got to watch it pour  ;D.  Great equipment though.
            Cafe Laffare: Very average flat white and a hard to swallow short black, but if you like bitter. Cool place though  :.
            Coffee Supreme: Plunger, good standard for a cafe but then I just wanted to try something different, SO by the way  
            Any way got to spend an hour or so with Fraser at Coffee Supreme while he was roasting. A very unassuming guy with a wealth of experience and knowledge it was a privilege indeed.
            The best bit of course was the cupping.....guess what?  Fraser had 8 samples from Nicaragua in fact the top 8 from the COE competition he was judging at. Oh well what can one do, least to say there was nothing nasty there.
            So next time in Wellington be sure to check out Coffee Supreme and if it’s the first Wed of the month then join the guys for an awesome learning experience.

Chris

Comment

Cupping room

Comment

Roasting

Comment

Check this out

Comment

Back to the action

Comment

more

Comment

more

Comment

That is awesome - we are hading over to NZ in a couple of weeks and i have already added Supreme to my list of Must Visits.

Comment

Re: Wellington NZ Oct Update

Just returned from Wellington and no joy if your looking for great coffee :-[
                            Very dissapointing lots of bling but nothing even close to good in the cup. :-[

The last time I was there Coffee Supreme (Hopper St) was good but I didnt get there this time.

Chris

Comment

Hi all

Im just about to leave for Wellington this Sunday for the Linux Conference http://www.lca2010.org.nz/
                              Mojo coffee will apparently have a coffee cart there and I have a nice list of coffee places to try from here and from Googling. The later brings up lots on Wellington coffee culture and reviews of places. Seems like they like their coffee :-)

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X