LA - Vegas - Anaheim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA - Vegas - Anaheim

My wife and son are off to LA soon, can anyone give me some places for them to get their fix in LA (wherever the shops are), On the strip in Vegas, and Anaheim (Disney that is).

Much appreciated   They are not as obsessed as me and wont be taking an Aeropress, Zassenhaus and Beans  ;D

Cheers

Chris

Re: LA - Vegas - Anaheim

Intelligentsia would be my recommendation for anything in L.A...just put their name into Google...itll take you to their web site and give you their location.

Comment

Cheers SG, it made me wish I was going :-[

Thanks anyway ;D

Comment

http://lacoffee.com/cafes.html

Groundwork had Esmeralda Special available from their Clover downtown when I used to go there, but I left a year ago and so may have run out. I found this place during SCAA Long Beach and it was packed with regional finalists just hanging out. Over time it seemed to slowly deteriorate and Im not sure whether they were able to check that trend, but would certainly be worth a look.

Pete

Comment

Much appreciated Pete !

Comment

Intelligentsia came up trumps according to my wife and son. I had given them a list of things I needed (as you do) and they were sat down and waited on hand and foot including sending staff to fill the order whilst the tourists were served their coffees, which they even didnt charge for by the way.
            Find out more about the coffees on their return but well done on the service

By the way "Groundwork" was almost undrinkable :-[

Chris

Comment

Just spent a few weeks in sunny Californias south. The hotel I stayed at only provides filter bag coffee in the room and drip filtered coffee in the hotel. Initially I really didnt like it but, as we all know, when youre desperate enough, anything will do. I must admit, going cold turkey from two doubles a day really played havoc with my head.

Naturally I was keen to try the local specialty shops, yes even Starbucks. Well that was straight out of a super-auto, so never went back. Next was a place on Pine Ave in Longbeach, marginally better, but they clearly dont understand how to texture milk, basically warm it up. After a few goes ( you have to pick a quiet moment so you have time to explain what you want, slowly, several times), I gave up, I think they were starting to get it, but the coffee grind was too course and they wouldnt adjust the grind to decrease the flow.

The little family cafe closest to our accommodation, Rexs in San Pedro ground fresh coffee for their filter coffee, which I was drinking black by the time I left, and bought pre ground in a tin for their espresso machine. They said they do a bigger trade in filter coffee and wasnt worth the effort. Another guy (not a coffee snob) enjoyed their snow cone cappuccinos, and Im talking roadhouse froth.

The last place I tried is called Sacred Grounds on 6th St in San Pedro. Reviews placed it a 5/10. I would give it a 3/10. The shop itself is somewhat run down, the booths seats are coming apart, vinyl torn etc. They have one double group machine which was filthy. They have bench space for a dozen vacuum pots for pre made drip coffee. The guy did a great job of making my request, but it tasted of cigarettes in the first mouth full, milk was scalded, no thermometer.

We do it better, and you can really tell the difference in training standards, keep it up AUSSIEs.

Comment

Working...
              X