No announcement yet.

Paris France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone spotted any good cafes in Paris lately? Going over there early next year.

Comment

Originally posted by summercrema View Post
      anyone spotted any good cafes in Paris lately? Going over there early next year.
      When I was living in that neck of the woods a few years ago, La Caféothèque in the 4th was decent. They roast beans on site (all single origins). Not sure if it's changed over the last few years though.

Comment

Was at La Caféothèque a few months ago, best I could find in Paris.

Comment

So, another year or so on - anyone with any other recommendations? I'm here for another week and have never seen bubbles in microfoam so big or coffee served so hot!

I did chance across one good tiny cafe though - Terres de Cafe near Aligre markets. Looks like the man (who also spoke impeccable English) runs a Rocket of some description but I'll have a proper look tomorrow. It's a half hour walk from where I'm staying but I'll do that every morning if nothing else turns up!

Comment

Hi all,

I was just sent a PM by bjjoh3 who hadn't enough posts to post on this thread but looks like he did some fairly thorough research before he came. He contributed the following:

"
            I was in Paris this time last year and did some research before I arrived. I was able to find good coffee at:
            - Loustic (40 Rue Chapon, 75003 Paris, France)
            - Coutume Café (47 Rue de Babylone, 75007 Paris, France, if you check their website I think they have a few locations)

I only had a few days (I was there for Le Tour) so they were the only cafes I was able to visit. Other cafes from my research were: Richer, Blackburn Coffee, Holybelly, Cafe Craft, Foundation Cafe & Honor.
            "

I'll give my thoughts on any I manage to get to.

Thanks bjjoh3!

Comment

Well I tried to check out a few of the places as has been suggested but during August a lot of places were on holiday I did go to Cafeotheque and they were awesome! Although first time there my girlfriend accidentally ordered a gigantic latte (must have been about 350ml!).

For any snobbers heading to Paris I made a map of all the suggested places - see below. Hopefully you can find one next to you. I was jet-lagged one morning and woke up at 4am and decided this was a good use of time .

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BR...pw&usp=sharing

Comment

Foundation Coffee Marias Area. Run by a Sydney sider- lovely coffee and they understand your order....

Comment

Originally posted by brettreaby View Post
                  Foundation Coffee Marias Area. Run by a Sydney sider- lovely coffee and they understand your order....
                  It's not only lovely coffee, it was the best coffee that we found in Paris. I was in Paris a month ago and tried a few of the mentioned cafes but ended going back to Fondation Cafe.

Comment

Big big recommendation for Terres de Cafe. Had an hour long chat with the barista Rue des Blancs Manteaux who visibly jumped when I mentioned I was roasting some Hartmann (let alone honey process) - he's a big fan of the estate. He was runner up in the French championships (the cup is prominently displayed) and travels regularly to the origin to source his beans. His chocolate recommendation (Pierre Marcolini) was the best chocolate I've had in Paris, beating several Meilleurs Ouvriers de France. He thinks the French coffee scene is catching up with the Aussies despite the latter's domination of international competitions. More V60 less espresso oriented, though, even if he's a fan of espresso and is a bit sad that some tourists complain that he's charging 2.20 EUR vs the usual 1 EUR for the overexpressed watery robusta horrors you get when asking for a "cafe" most other places.

Went back 4 times including once to the Rue Rambuteau shop and everybody who works there has proven competent (and a good conversationalist). Many customers are English speakers. A new coffee is served every day - I've had, so far, an Ethiopian I cannot remember, a Kenyan I also cannot remember (bitter orange peel finish though) and a Colombian Esperanza honey process which had a very long finish despite being quite acidic. Before serving the Kenyan, he insisted on tasting it as we were the first customers to have it.

I think this was the first time I was in a French cafe where the spirit equalled what the country does on the food side of things.

Comment

OK, so I was in Paris last week and loved it - great food of course, but managed to find a couple of decent cafes. Best one was KB Coffee Roasters on Avenue Trudaine in the 9th arrondissement - went there many times! Near that one was La Compagnie due Cafe on Rue Notre Dame de Lorette which was a nice cafe and they had a decent roaster going and pulled a good shot. The other one that was pretty good was Honor on Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré in the 8th - hidden away behind some fancy shops, it's a great little spot where you can get a good coffee. Other than that, it was generally not great coffee but you don't really go there for that. I was just glad I could find some decent places, hope this helps you out when you head there next...

Comment

Working...
                      X