USA, California, Santa Monica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA, California, Santa Monica

Having a day spare in the greater LA region before the 2010 SCAA (Specialty Coffee Association of America) Conference I thought I would head out and see what coffee I could find.

SCAA produced a list of some of their members well known coffee establishments in the region so armed with a printout, a hire car and a GPS I headed off.

Caffe Luxxe
    925 Montana Ave
    Santa Monica
    California, 90403

I managed to get a metered street car park nearby and wandered over to the cafe.  Its a neat looking cafe from the outside, next door to a vacant shop and a coin laundry.  

Walking into the cafe I spotted a 3 group Synesso using naked handles behind the counter.  Greeted with a smile I ordered a double espresso and then had a look around.

Its an 20 odd seat cafe with a mix of tables and benches and with a dozen people in the cafe all drinking coffee without food... thats a good sign I thought to myself.  Most of the art around the cafe is framed pictures of good espresso pours, latte art and milk pouring.  These are also really good indicators of good coffee potential in a cafe.

My drink arrived.  I ordered a double espresso but the volume was more like a ristretto.  This also happens in Melbourne and other places around the world, a trend to pull tighter and shorter than what was ordered.  In the cup was a low acidity, big bodied shot full of cocoa with a sweet finish and in a word, STUNNING

I had a chat with the owner (Mark) who tells me the coffee was roasted by a roaster in Seattle, its a blend of African, South American and Indonesia that arrives to the cafe within 3 days of being roasted.  This gives the cafe control over the rest time and typically this blend hits the grinders within the first 7 days.

Cafe Luxxe have two venues in the area with a third one being built and rumour of a roaster in the pipeline.

This is my second visit to the USA and I can honestly say this was the best coffee I have had in America to date.  Stunning coffee, a nice venue, good people, a pretty town on the coast and Ill be back for sure.

pics:
    Good cheap street parking in the area.
    Easy to miss from the street, but worth finding.
    3 Group Synesso with naked handles, a good sign

Re: USA, California, Santa Monica

Caffe Luxxe - Santa monica.

pics:
    Ristretto
    Coffee Art
    Work area
    Looking towards the front.

Comment

Those handles on the Synesso are a tad too far past 6 oclock. time for new seals I think.

Comment

Oh David! Your forgetting one thing! Its America, everything is on the opposite side! Thats 4 oclock! ;D

Comment

Working...
        X