Coffee in Vienna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee in Vienna

I tried many places during my 12 days in Vienna. Viennese cafes are old, well respected institutions. Most serve excellent cakes, about the best I have ever tried. The quality of coffee is generally poor. Beware the prices, you will need to spend about 4EUR for a dodgy cappucino. Many cafes are touristic attractions. You can expect to wait at the entrance and be treated nastily by slow, arrogant waiter. But still, Wien nur du allein!

I had some the best coffee at:

-The Cafe at the Albertina Museum, next to the Opera.
    -Cafe Schwartzenberg, Kartner Ring 17. The coffees came with unrequested cream, but they were ok and went well with the wonderful cafe.

I agree with what u said it is difficult to find our kind of coffee in Vienna, it is my 2nd day in old city, been to 4 cafes already, it is their local traditional type of coffee just have to learn to drink it. Cafe Central is 220 years old they must know a thing or two about coffee. Keyboard layout is different.

Comment

This is the place to go:

Café Hawelka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Café Leopold Hawelka

Dorotheergasse 6 - Google Maps

Comment

After few hours of walking around city, I found a coffee machines reseller, after couple of minutes of chatting he made me few cups of espresso from a ECM hx machine free of charge and it tasted much more like the coffee we have in Oz, here is the address,
        Taste It
        Wollzeille27
        A-100 Wien

the sales person name is Christoph.

Bought a espresso cup set from him before I left.

Comment

I found the same shop and entered for, at least, a coffee chat. I didn't get any coffee

Places like the Hawelka have a lot of charm and sell excellent cakes, but they still serve dreadful coffee. By they way, don't believe anything people may tell you: Julius Mainl am Graben combines bad coffee with no charm.

I enquired my Viennese friends about the service. They told me that cafe staff are supposed to be rude to unknown customers. Once you come a few times they will start treating you a little better. The idea is you will not go to other cafes once you are treated decently somewhere. Of course, non-German speaking tourists stand no chance.

By the way, last time in Vienna I got my best cup at a the Cafe Ritazza franchise inside the airport. Ymmv, I went to a similar franchise place in Abu Dhabi and I got something absolutely dreadful.

I will pack an Aeropress and a hand grinder this time around.

Comment

Julius Mainl , been there twice but no coffee consumed there, I think just too many tourist there more than they can deal with, bought Espresso Cup from there, really not cheap. This is one coffee I will not order again.
            Attached Files

Comment

I am back in Vienna. This time I brought a Porlex and an Aeropress, so I have been brewing decent coffee. The problem is I run out of beans from home. I bought some at the Alt Wien roaster in Naschmarkt: nothing special. Anyone knows a reliable roaster in Vienna?

Comment

Good coffee in Vienna, finally

Co Space Buro Cafe in Kirchengasse 44. A Berlin-chic place. They roast their own coffee. I had the first decent espresso in weeks. Nice people too, no arrogant "ober" in sight.

Enjoy!

Tupinamba

Comment

Hi all

I was in Vienna in August, looked for good espresso but didn't find any. Their long blacks are actually OK it's just that they don't "do espressos" as far as I can tell.

I was also at Dubai in August enroute and was looking forward after a long flight for a generic arabic coffee i.e. turkish/lebanese/greek what ever and all that was there was Starbucks and another place where they made me an espresso and I had to return it and get my money back. They were nice about it but just didn't know how to make one. Thought of emailing the Crown Prince of Dubai who owns the place to tell him his coffee to guests was terrible but thought I'd better wait till I was out of the country.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by speleomike View Post
                    Hi all

I was in Vienna in August, looked for good espresso but didn't find any. Their long blacks are actually OK it's just that they don't "do espressos" as far as I can tell.

I was also at Dubai in August enroute and was looking forward after a long flight for a generic arabic coffee i.e. turkish/lebanese/greek what ever and all that was there was Starbucks and another place where they made me an espresso and I had to return it and get my money back. They were nice about it but just didn't know how to make one. Thought of emailing the Crown Prince of Dubai who owns the place to tell him his coffee to guests was terrible but thought I'd better wait till I was out of the country.

Mike
                    Hi Mike,

They may not do espressos, but what they do by adding foamed milk is even worse Now I have found a couple of decent places and I am quite happy here.

Similar to your experience, I had a coffee in Abu Dhabi's airport... THAT does not deserve a description.

Tupinamba

Comment

Working...
                    X