Indonesia - Jakarta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indonesia - Jakarta

Slim pickings here in Jakarta, with the usual Starbucks and Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (although after travelling for a while I just need a soy latte, and average ones will still hit the spot just enough).
    Thankfully, there is at least one place worth stopping past - Giyanti Coffee Roastery at Jl. Surabaya no 20 Menteng - Jakarta Pusat
    It ranks very highly on Tripadvisor and I can see why - no soy latte unfortunately, but an excellent espresso worthy of any snob. They run with a Spirit Triplette and roast onsite with a petroncini and do a fantastic job of it. There's a selection of baked goods, and a pretty cool atmosphere. They also have an aeropress and Pullman tamper for sale if you happen to need it! Well worth stopping in if you're here and need a good fix.

I used to spend a lot of time in Jakarta. Great city. If you're still there go check out these guys. Centrally located:

Commond Grounds Coffee Roaster
    Citywalk Sudirman 1st flr
    (next to ATM BCA)
    Jl. KH Mansyur Kav.121
    Jakarta

Comment

The coffee scene in Jakarta has improved remarkably in the last year, and those two places you mention are a huge part of it. Giyanti is terrific, a great atmosphere as well as top notch coffee. I think Common Grounds often pips it for quality. They had a sort of an exchange program with St Ali last year, whereby Matt Perger and others from St Ali came to the cafe for a week, taught some classes and ran some other events. Very cool. I usually source my beans direct from Giyanti, but have bought some from Common Ground today to try at home.

The funkiest and most interesting place is more of a training centre than a coffee shop, but it's worth the trip if they're open. ABCD (A bunch of caffeine dealers) is in Pasar Santa. From the outside and the first floors, Pasar Santa is a traditional Indonesian market, but the top level is now a hipster paradise. ABCD was one of the first leaders in setting it up. Their opening hours are erratic, so you need to check their Instagram or otherwise contact them to see if they're open. https://abunchofcaffeinedealers.wordpress.com/

Tanamera Coffee(Thamrin City Office Park Blok AA No.7, Jalan Kebon Kacang Raya,) is also worth a visit, they probably have the best range of beans from around Indonesia, all roasted on premises. They also run a barista training class.

If any other coffeesnobs are coming through Jakarta, let me know! It's a big city and tough to find your way around, but I might also know of some other places near where you're working or staying.

Comment

Working...
      X