Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get a good coffee in Sydney?

Hi all,
    Im off to Sydney at the end of this week, and as im from Melbourne i would like some
    recomendations from you Sydneysiders as to where i might get a good coffee. Im
    staying on the south side near Tom Ugleys bridge, but that wont stop me driving around.
    I guess its a good time to show off what you have up there. Come on, share your secrets!

Re: Where to get a good coffee in Sydney?

Southside - my neck of the woods! Try Kafeneo in Cronulla Mall, good sweet and gutsy espressos and nice milk drinks (if thats your thing). Hes the guy behind the machine with a "NO SKIM" hat on ;D There are others in cronulla with decent coffee - grind underneath the Rydges hotel (but hes only open on weekends. Cronulla used to have one of the best Ive ever tasted - "Buzz" but sadly that lovely place is no more.

There is a place outside David jones in the miranda westfield with a Synesso and good coffee (I think its called Piccollo), so if you have to enter the evil shopping mega mall you can get a good shot.

Outside "the shire" the one that I love is Single Origin, near central station.

Comment

Originally posted by Topher link=1156743464/0#1 date=1156748363
      so if you have to enter the evil shopping mega mall you can get a good shot.  
      Yeah, but good luck finding your way out again! ;D

Comment

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1145585373

Have a read of that thread. Then if you check out the news forum where I think Luca posted his cafe experiences in Sydney recently, you should be able to find some great places to go to there.

And it sounds like our newest site sponser is the go too, Di Bartoli, that is. Id be giving them a go.

My pick is Short Black in Penshurst, but you have to go across Tom Uglys to get there!

When youve done it all and got back home, you should join in on the Fave Cafe thread and put down your experiences there, wed love to hear them!

Comment

Originally posted by Topher link=1156743464/0#1 date=1156748363

There is a place outside David jones in the miranda westfield with a Synesso and good coffee (I think its called Piccollo), so if you have to enter the evil shopping mega mall you can get a good shot.  
          Is that the one that has the sign on the machine bragging about having the best machine in the shire? I found them to be very ordinary.
          My SO ordered me an doppio espresso, with the PBTM saying, its good to see someone drinking espresso for a change." It was very watery with a weak crema.
          My opinion only of course  .

Comment

Ill second the vote for Kafenio, they are excellent. And I second the vote to check out Lucas post as it hits off a heap of the other good places to go. Gee im a follower arent I

Scoota, I have to admit Ive never checked out Short Black at Penshurst. I go past there (King Georges Rd) frequently and would never have picked that thered be a great coffee place there. Its not very far at all over Tom Uglys Bridge, so Dennisl you should check it out and report back - Ill try to make the detour one day this week and try it out too

Comment

Give them a go, poundy. Theyre doing pretty good food as well and are making a decent cup out of a Schibello roast.

Comment

Originally posted by scoota gal link=1156743464/0#3 date=1156751937
                if you check out the news forum where I think Luca posted his cafe experiences in Sydney recently, you should be able to find some great places to go to there.
                Good memory, SG. Nice to think that people read some of my insane rants. The post is here. I went on about the Aroma festival and the ICTF in that thread; scroll down to my third post for the cafes. Not sure how many of them are going to be super convenient for you to get to; it was all kinda CBD-centric. If you only go to one cafe in that area, make it single origin. Theyre not necessarily the best, but their coffee is certainly very different and very good. And when in rome, its worthwhile ordering a "piccolo."

Hope that helps,

Luca

Comment

Thanks all, great help. I will get to some and try out their liquid gold,
                  and report back in a couple of weeks. However,being a novice and not
                  really knowing too much about the intricacys im not sure that my
                  recommendations will be anything to go by! The question is where the hell do you get a good shot on the Hume Highway on the way up ?

Comment

Originally posted by dennisl link=1156743464/0#8 date=1156766835
                    The question is where the hell do you get a good shot on the Hume Highway on the way up ?
                    ;D You dont! You have to wait the 8 hours till you get to Sydney! :P

Or, take a detour and go to Canberra and visit Cosmorex...

Comment

8 hours? Unlike you Scooter gal, my vespa isnt supercharged!!!

Comment

Ooh! Youre planning on riding up to Sydney, Dennis? That should be fun but if you are going to do that, why are you going via the Hume Hwy!? You should be going via the Princess Hwy. Way more fun and a much nicer ride. 8-)

And 8 hours in my V8 Chevy is a no brainer to Melbourne from Sydney!

Comment

Go to Campos, Missenden Road Camperdown. (the coffees got better again). Must

yep Single Origin, Surry Hills. Must

I am... ahmm not a fan of Tobys but you should at least check them out... in Wooloomolloo and Chippendale. Maybe

If in the city go to the Citibank Building 2Park Street Cafe, it is the one in the tower tucked into the corner on the right as you walk in the revolving doors. Havent been there in a while but they were very very good.

There one in the Strand Arcade (between george and pitt street), ground floor I forgot the name... but its in the middle, and its the only place that makes good coffee out of them.

If I think of some more Ill edit them here.

Comment

+1 for the stramd arcade one mentioned above. I too cant remember its name. Its in the middle, small shop with some stairs at the back.

Comment

Scooter gal,
                              No not riding,my legs get too tired from pedalling so i will spit some deisel fumes out of the landy on the way up, and take a nice leisurely cruise down
                              the Princess on the way home. 56 ?

Comment

Working...
                              X