Newtown coffee crawl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newtown coffee crawl

A few of us have gathered once or twice for a coffee crawl thats started in Newtown and then headed into the CBD.

The beginning of the crawl is usually:

Cordial - 130 Carillon Avenue Newtown
    Campos - 193 Missenden Rd Newtown
    Tobys Estate - 32-36 City Rd, Chippendale

These all have good coffee.
    Cordial also does a great breakfast (hence pole position).

All are are a leisurely stroll from one to the other.

Re: Newtown coffee crawl

Just to add that Cordial serve up Golden Cobra coffee roasted out of Botany (I think). I often dont even bother trying to line up at Campos if its ridiculous, but head down the hill to Cordial. Delish to have that kind of selection.

Comment

My local trio.

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1218370617/0#1 date=1218423604
        Just to add that Cordial serve up Golden Cobra coffee roasted out of Botany (I think). I often dont even bother trying to line up at Campos if its ridiculous, but head down the hill to Cordial. Delish to have that kind of selection.
        Best of all, most weekends, Sonny, one of the roasters from Golden Cobra is behind the linea pulling shots. Really nice guy, always happy to chat if not too busy.

I really like Cordial, but I think most of you here know that already!

Comment

Went to Cordial again this morning for breakfast and some coffee.

Food was great, as usual, and so was the coffee.

My flat white today was better than the one I had at Mecca yesterday.

Comment

Was in Sydney the other weekend and went to cordial with much anticipation but I was met with a flat bitter piccolo. Was going to put it down to the barista being off his game but looked at the grinder and the hopper was coated in rancid coffee oils which indicated to me a larger problem. I am willing to accept that not every coffee can be perfect but to be mentioned in the same thread as campos and tobys estate they need to lift their game.

Comment

Originally posted by 29272A253224254B0 link=1218370617/5#5 date=1234938985
              Was in Sydney the other weekend and went to cordial with much anticipation but I was met with a flat bitter piccolo. Was going to put it down to the barista being off his game but looked at the grinder and the hopper was coated in rancid coffee oils which indicated to me a larger problem. I am willing to accept that not every coffee can be perfect but to be mentioned in the same thread as campos and tobys estate they need to lift their game.
              Very strange. :-?

Comment

Thats what I thought, I am willing to give it another try but I only get to sydney a few times a year.

Comment

Is there a different barista at cordial on the weekends, to mid-week?

Like, I know its now cool to put down Campos, but the last few times Ive been to Cordial, its been just ok. Same as motos experience.

Comment

well, i think the owner and some of the other staff at Cordial are behind the counter now more often that Sonny or Dave from Golden Cobra. I think Sonny is only working the odd Saturday now. This could explain the change in experience.

I havent been able to get there much in the last 10 months or so but the few times I have been I havent noticed any change in the coffee Ive had. To be honest though, and not wishing to sound like a wanker, but they always recognise me so there is the possibility that they pay more attention to the coffee they serve me. Which would be a shame, every brew should get the same love and attention!

On the subject of Campos, Ive never really been down on them (not that anyone suggested I was) but once I discovered Cordial which had a nice outdoor area and good food as well as coffee, it was an easy choice of where to go.

Comment

Perhaps a CS crawl should be organised to verify these claims

Grant

Comment

Love to, anyone want to sponsor me for a plane ticket to Sydney ;D

Comment

Hey all!
                          I went to Cordal last Wednesday to chill/study over a coffee and breakfast. The only other time id been to Cordial was on a CS coffeecrawl a year or so ago. Last time I was there the coffee was really nice. Sonny was there and I think he was behind the machine. This time there was a different guy behind the machine and the coffee was pretty disappointing. Oh well, it was nice to sit there all morning and watch the world go by.

Comment

Cafe Ism Newtown
                            Machine on trestle table at door
                            Ordered Piccolo
                            Saw soy go in to jug.
                            No, Stop!
                            Its good and if you dont like it i will make you another, barista offered.
                            It was good enough. using bon soy.
                            Sign suggested no animal products used in this cafe.
                            "if it has a face we dont use its produce"
                            Coffee was good enough to encourage a thought and open a shop next door serving only animal products including piccolo with cows milk served in a new zealand lamb leather cup warmer.
                            Got my ugg boots on the counter with my Staffie drinking the soy waiting for the Anti honey monkey to react.
                            Good enough and admiring their discipline

Comment

Originally posted by 397E2F2E357E4D0 link=1218370617/13#13 date=1236524492
                              "if it has a face we dont use its produce"
                              Soy Beans have faces too.

Comment

Working...
                              X