Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper/Lower North Shore, Sydney

THE SOURCE

Shop 6 914 Military Rd, Mosman. Its entrance is actually on Raglan Rd. They pump St Alis (only place in NSW, I think) through a 3gp Synesso Sabre, ground by a Robur. Theyve got a few Hario Syphons and a pour-over station setup for the single origins. Great La Marzocco posters up. Check out the tattoo on one of the baristas forearm - a PF! 8-)

Got great food too!

Re: Upper/Lower North Shore, Sydney

Ringas Cafe
    Trafalgar Shopping Centre
    1 Trafalgar Place, Marsfield
    (opposite the MAASH Centre Gym & Squash Courts)

Kirby (formerly of 2kf in Mona Vale) is the main barista here, using Campos Coffee. Milk coffees are very sweet without milk, and short blacks & ristrettos are quite intense and fruity. I go out of my way to drop in for coffee here.

On the food side, if Kirby is working, order a Matt (named after me!) - its a ham and cheese croissant with a fried egg. Or dont order a matt if you have cholestorol problems. Otherwise, meals are generally different incarnations of bacon and eggs with a few sandwich options and some sweet things. They also have a tappas menu on tuesdays and friday lunchtimes.

Comment

Originally posted by mattyj link=1218423416/0#1 date=1218588674
      Ringas Cafe
      Trafalgar Shopping Centre
      1 Trafalgar Place, Marsfield
      (opposite the MAASH Centre Gym & Squash Courts)

Kirby (formerly of 2kf in Mona Vale) is the main barista here, using Campos Coffee. Milk coffees are very sweet without milk, and short blacks & ristrettos are quite intense and fruity. I go out of my way to drop in for coffee here.

On the food side, if Kirby is working, order a Matt (named after me!) - its a ham and cheese croissant with a fried egg. Or dont order a matt if you have cholestorol problems. Otherwise, meals are generally different incarnations of bacon and eggs with a few sandwich options and some sweet things. They also have a tappas menu on tuesdays and friday lunchtimes.
      Whoa, I would have never thought of going there. Ive been past a heap of times over the years going to that seafood restaurant for special occasions. Ill definitely check it out soon.

2kf at Mona was one of my faves when I was down that way after a surf. They use Campos there too from memory.

Comment

yeah, its actually the perfect location for a cafe, I think! Its owned by the gym, but run by Kirby and the chef (Brett?), so they advertise to all the gym members. Then its also across the road from the new uni accomodation, so once you get word into the uni that theres good coffee across the road, you get a lot of uni students coming. Its also next to a child care place/place where you get your kiddies weighed and talk to nurses and stuff (cant remember what theyre called...), so all the mums drop in for coffee.

Its always pretty busy on a saturday morning, and quiet during the week.

Comment

I used to work at Basils a few years back. The guy who owns the gym owns the entire complex.

Comment

Originally posted by Wine_of_the_Bean link=1218423416/0#4 date=1218599866
            I used to work at Basils a few years back.  The guy who owns the gym owns the entire complex.
            Haha, yeah right, my family has been going there for about 26 years. Theres still waiters who have been there since I can remember. Nuts.

Comment

They still have the same menu since they opened too. The current owner used to be one of the wait staff. The old owner has since moved on, and opened a fish n chip shop out in Hunters Hill. Funny enough, its called Basils Gourmet Seafood.

Until I closed shop, I would probably have made this list...

Comment

Originally posted by Wine_of_the_Bean link=1218423416/0#6 date=1218692627

Until I closed shop, I would probably have made this list...
                Definitely Anthony! 8-)

For the time being, just give us your home address. ;D

Comment

I currently use a machine with a broken pressure gauge, dripping hot water tap, and notoriously runs hot (massive cooling flush required).

Only good for espresso I reckon.

Comment

PABLO & RUSTYS - Premium Espresso Bar

St Johns Ave
                    Gordon
                    Across from the rail station.

Pablo & Rustys blend, 3 gp Synesso Sabre, Robur.
                    Hrs are Monday-Saturday 6am (I think, Im never up that early)-7pm

Was my local until I moved out of Gordon to the next suburb.
                    This is the flagship store. They have a few other outlets in Homebush and Chatswood Station I think.

Comment

EDIT: didnt even notice the post above this!

Pablo&Rustys
                      Across the road from Epping Train Station
                      (cant remember the name of the street)
                      Its a black sign with white writing, as above.

They just opened last monday. They use their own blend, which is contract roasted.
                      2nd hand ECM Michelangelo Machine, brand new Mazzer Robur.

Its pretty good for the area. Id stick to milk drinks. Theyre all friendly, knowlegdable people. Very trendy interior, especially the back room. Theyre also open for long hours, opening at 7am and closing at 5:30pm.

If you know the area, Id say the quality of the coffee is somewhere in between Topiary and Ringas, both of whom use campos (closer to the Topiary end - a cleaner and more consistent cup than Topiary, but not as tight or refined as Ringas).

Comment

Oh, Pablo&Rustys also have great, affordable food! A toasted ham & cheese sandwich for $3!!!

And really nice looking turkish bread sandwiches and chocolate croissants etc etc.

Comment

KOKOH
                          11 REDLEAF AVE
                          Wahroonga

Morgans Coffee, LM FB80 (custom light blue). Knowledgable staff.

Great atmosphere, a bit of food I think, kills everything else around that area at the moment (IMHO )

Comment

THE SOURCE (update)

Just to keep things up to date:

They have a 5kg in store Renegade Roaster, with a 1 pound sample roaster on its way.

Some of the best SOs coming out of here at the moment.

They dont use St Alis anymore, rather using their own blend. Look out for some barista exchanges with BBB soon

O and they have the Cyncra, not the Sabre.... and talk of the new Hydra on its way 8-)

Comment

THE SOURCE

I went this morning to try them out.
                              The food may be OK prices for Mosman but I thought  it was a tad expensive.

I ordered my usual flat white and a long black for my wife.

It was their own blend and tasted quite nice, though a little cool.

I took a sip of the long black and what I sampled seemed strong to me but as Im not a long black drinker I couldnt say more than it was not the worst Id tried (found a shocker two weeks ago).

However, just as we were finishing up my wife commented that shed found it to be bitter and still had an unpleasant taste in the back of her throat.

Inspection of the remains revealed some grinds in the cup.
                              Mostly fines but also a few larger ones.

I thought Id better give some friendly feedback so waited for a quiet moment to front the counter with the cup and mention my wifes feedback and point out the grinds.

The first guy I spoke to seemed interested but wanted to refer to the guy whod taken my order.
                              I asked if he had an explanation for the bitterness but got no reply.
                              So I asked about the grinds in the cup and he said they would have come through the holes in the basket; I told him I found that strange and he said they were using the standard LM baskets.
                              I told him Id been using the same baskets at home and that I dont have a problem with grinds coming through holes in the basket.
                              By this point it was obvious he didnt care, so I threw up that even if it were true that they were finding their way through, considering the variance in particle size, maybe he should be worried about his grinder.

Although my coffee was nice (to my taste), my wife  has a more refined palate and hers really wasnt good enough.

Food  9/10
                              Price  7/10
                              Attitude 4/10

Comment

Working...
                              X