Upper/Lower North Shore, Sydney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Barry

I found coffees at Steam Engine near the concourse of Chatswood to be consistently good and extremely friendly. definitely recommend you try it on your next trip

Comment

friskr,

I haven’t tried the coffee at Steam Engine yet but I will soon. While I understand that their coffee is great. While it is in a prime position at Chatswood Train Station, the shop is in a cupboard.

I prefer somewhere with plenty of room where I can sit down in comfort and eat some quality food and coffee. That is why when in Chatswood I go to Café Cherry Bean or Lid & Jar.

I didn’t go to Lid & Jar this weekend as their chief baristas, Andy and Chanho, are in Melbourne competing with Australians best at MICE.

I know that it is much cheaper to cater for the takeaway market than to provide for bums on seats.

I don't like drinking from paper cups.

Barry
      Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 15 March 2015, 10:37 AM.

Comment

I have tried the coffee at Steam Engine by the Chatswood Railway. Very good coffee. I found a perch to sit on. They have some coffee gear and I bought a Porlex mini ceramic hand grinder. I am going travelling next month and the Porlex will fit in my pocket and it does a good job of grinding.

Barry

Comment

Artarmon coffee

Artarmon now has a new good coffee shop called Wilkes, on Wilkes Avenue next door to the lads at Salvage, mentioned above, east of the train station.

Wilks, Salvage and the revamped café now called Hampden 86; in the middle of the Artarmon shops west of the railway, all serve great coffee and a variety of good tucker.

Barry
          Last edited by Barry_Duncan; 15 June 2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

North Sydney

All the years I lived in Artarmon, pre-Salvage days, there was nothing decent. Interesting to see some entrepreneurs fill the hole in the market!

I had a nice long black at Garage on Miller in North Sydney this morning. 'Boots blend', a blend which tasted a little lightly roasted for my liking, but with some sweetness counterpoint to the acidity. I appreciate this sweetness in light roasts when I find it, as a regular butcher myself of green beans at home, I know how hard it is to achieve. And it was true to the tasting notes on the menu.

Comment

I just had another coffee at Garage this morning, the Latin America blend, it was an overly acidic, baked tasting cup of swill! It tasted like some of my worst roasts out of the Behmor, the ones where the beans are totally baked with no smell, oil or caramelisation, and overly grassy and acidic. Just goes to show how much these cafes are dependent on good coffee roasters s'pose....

Comment

Lane Cove

My 2 picks so far are Story Espresso (hole in the wall with Synesso machine) and Pablo & Rusty (serves the longest/largest piccolo every time. Delicious but more like a 3/4 latte).

Any other suggestions? I've only started working in the area recently.

Comment

North Sydney

I regularly go to Roots in North Sydney, they are very consistent. They use Reuben Hills beans, with rotating SOs. There is seating immediate to where you pay and there is seating on the other side too. I have been to garage too, lovely outdoor seating area but found my latte was too weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Angusw15 View Post
                    North Sydney

I regularly go to Roots in North Sydney, they are very consistent. They use Reuben Hills beans, with rotating SOs. There is seating immediate to where you pay and there is seating on the other side too. I have been to garage too, lovely outdoor seating area but found my latte was too weak.
                    Walker and Jones Coffee Traders is the best I have found. Some superb SOs. Barista knows his stuff. Exceptional

Comment

Ran into an old school friend who opened up a coffee shop and roastery on the northern beaches called nine yards coffee. It's located on green Street which is very close to warringah mall. Bobby roasts all his beans in house and he made the door to the roastery glass so you can watch from the Cafe which is awesome. If you are into coffee he'd be happy to show you his roasting set up. Smooth strong coffee and always have something new in the single origin hopper for the snobs like us to try out!

Comment

Dose Cafe Willoughby High Street across from the Primary school.
                        Willoughby is spoilt for good coffee but IMO this is the best...I love a Picolo and they do the best i have had..Never bitter.
                        I also like the Hey You App so i dont have to communicate with any one early on the morning prior to caffeine.

Comment

Working...
                        X