Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoffeeHack
    commented on 's reply
    Good to know, hopefully I might be able to check out at least one of those if we make it over to visit the in laws this year.

• Lovey
    replied
    Alfresco roasters has opened a second shop in Batemans Bay on North Street. The coffee is great and they have a choice of 2 or 3 blends (sometimes a single origin) available.
    The Farm Gate oyster shed at Wray Street has put a coffee shop inside a shipping container next door to it. The coffee there is fantastic and there's a nice outlook over the northern side of the Clyde river. It's a bit hard to find, but it's nice and quiet and well worth the effort.

Leave a comment:

• chokkidog
    replied
    Originally posted by Lovey View Post
    There is a fabric shop called Stephs which has a hole in the wall cafe, just up the hill slightly from the Holden dealer and on the same side of the road, could that be the one?
    Yep, that's it.

Leave a comment:

• Lovey
    replied
    Tylers Kitchen
    4 Kuppa Avenue
    Malua Bay (a few km’s south of Batemans Bay)

Restaurants and good coffee don’t normally go hand in hand, but this newly opened place is an exception. They’re using a La San Marco 2 group and a Mazzer grinder (don’t know which model), and the coffee is from Single Origin roasters in Surry Hills.

I had an espresso before the meal and a flat white to finish off with. The espresso was pulled a bit short, like a ristretto, but was very tasty with great body and crema. The flat white was also great, with the coffee cutting nicely through the milk. The meals were superb, with the chef/s using regional produce. A highly recommended restaurant to visit.
    An update on this restaurant, it has unfortunately closed down.

Leave a comment:

• Lovey
    replied
    Originally posted by chokkidog View Post
    I've had coffee at Alfresco.... it was over roasted. There is another hole in the wall, also using Alfresco, in the main street, south side, bottom end. Maria's or Jane's or something... October just past was the first time I had seen it.
    Coffee well below par.
    There is a fabric shop called Stephs which has a hole in the wall cafe, just up the hill slightly from the Holden dealer and on the same side of the road, could that be the one?
    Last edited by Lovey; 3 December 2017, 05:43 PM. Reason: Additional info

Leave a comment:

• chokkidog
    replied
    I've had coffee at Alfresco.... it was over roasted. There is another hole in the wall, also using Alfresco, in the main street, south side, bottom end. Maria's or Jane's or something... October just past was the first time I had seen it.
    Coffee well below par.
    In over 30 years the only good coffee I've had in Moruya was at the Gundary store when they were serving Ona, a few years ago. If they've changed supplier it might explain the change in machine??

Leave a comment:

• Jono_Willmer
    replied
    No, they changed their equipment and they've now got a La Marzocco 2 group.
    That's kind of a shame, yet another LaMarzocco package deal.

Leave a comment:

• Lovey
    replied
    Originally posted by Jono_Willmer View Post
    Do they still have the old Synesso?
    No, they changed their equipment and they've now got a La Marzocco 2 group.

Leave a comment:

• Jono_Willmer
    replied
    It's been around for a year, maybe 2, I'm not really sure. The Gundary store has changed hands recently and the new owner seems to have his consistency right. They're using Maverick coffee from Ulladulla, with the house brew being the one they use for takeaways, very tasty. They also do cold brew and he let me have a sample this morning of his Geisha cold brew with a hint of lemon myrtle. Mmmmm, it was good.
    Do they still have the old Synesso?

Leave a comment:

• Lovey
    replied
    Originally posted by CoffeeHack View Post
    Moruya is my home town, which I'll be visiting over xmas with all the other thousands of tourists. I'm keen to try this place - how long has it been around? In recent times when I've visited I've tended to drop into the Gundary store which seems to have a good setup but inconsistent results...
    It's been around for a year, maybe 2, I'm not really sure. The Gundary store has changed hands recently and the new owner seems to have his consistency right. They're using Maverick coffee from Ulladulla, with the house brew being the one they use for takeaways, very tasty. They also do cold brew and he let me have a sample this morning of his Geisha cold brew with a hint of lemon myrtle. Mmmmm, it was good.

Leave a comment:

• CoffeeHack
    replied
    Alfresco Coffee.

1/15 Church Street, Moruya (25km south of Batemans Bay).
    Turn left at the traffic lights heading south on the Princes Highway, just past the Moruya river bridge. Its close by the fire station.
    This cafe has a selection of single origins and a house blend to choose from, which are roasted on site. The coffee is great and there is also a well stocked shop inside to tempt with all sorts of goodies.
    Moruya is my home town, which I'll be visiting over xmas with all the other thousands of tourists. I'm keen to try this place - how long has it been around? In recent times when I've visited I've tended to drop into the Gundary store which seems to have a good setup but inconsistent results...

Leave a comment:

• Lovey
    replied
    Alfresco Coffee.

1/15 Church Street, Moruya (25km south of Batemans Bay).
    Turn left at the traffic lights heading south on the Princes Highway, just past the Moruya river bridge. Its close by the fire station.
    This cafe has a selection of single origins and a house blend to choose from, which are roasted on site. The coffee is great and there is also a well stocked shop inside to tempt with all sorts of goodies.

Leave a comment:

• Pavoniboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Jono_Willmer View Post
    Cool shop in Nowra coffee roaster and over counter wet coffee sales. The machines he uses are worth going to look at, coffee is ok. The address is 73 North St Nowra next to tyrepower.

Hyper Hyper Espresso, 75 North St Nowra - look for the big yellow building that is an automotive engineering business.

I just discovered this place after working in nowra for six weeks. A 'hole in the wall' type operation in a mechanical engineering workshop! Who would have thought that they would be serving such good coffee from such beautiful machines. The coffee is great some days and good on others, but I'm yet to get a bad one. My first experience, I began talking to them about the machines and their roaster and let on that I am quite a coffee snob. The woman making my coffee pulled my shot, looked at it and commented 'not good enough', tipped it out and started again - which I like to see. I don't mind someone who pulls a dud shot if they acknowledge it and toss it. I would suggest letting on that you are a discerning customer, as the only complaint I have heard about the place is some days it is not as good as others. It can be great, so let them know you're a snob and they will likely be more discerning in making sure your shot is great.

The owner then came out and discussed the machine restorations with me whilst I drank my coffee, and then we discussed roasting etc. It's always good to see an owner who is passionate and wants to talk coffee with his customers. He has been importing old Faema levers and restoring them. He's now running 2x 2 groups and one single group. He's also restored a few for others.
    If in Nowra, check it out.

Leave a comment:

• Wiffle
    replied
    Re: South Coast

Little Gunga, Milton

A new cafe In the arcade off Wason St which goes through to the carpark.

3group la marzocco machine, had an espresso from Campos superior blend and a FW with a dibella blend; both were excellent. Definitely the best coffee Ive found in over a decade travelling to/through the area!!

Leave a comment:

• Jono_Willmer
    replied
    Re: South Coast

Cool shop in Nowra coffee roaster and over counter wet coffee sales. The machines he uses are worth going to look at, coffee is ok. The address is 73 North St Nowra next to tyrepower.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X