Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North/West of Sydney

Hi all

Cafe Botanica at Swanes Nursery, 490 Galston Road Dural.

Uses a 3 group Azkoyen machine, red colour.

My wife and I had a flat white and an espresso with lavender scones served with jam and cream. (It was a lavender festival month). The espresso was excellent. Nice crema, though it didnt last too long. Taste was a not sweet, but quite a strong coffee flavour, not bitter in any way. I have no idea what the blend was made of. Jills flat white she said was excellent. Oh and the lavender scones are great!

They use their own Botanica blend from beans roasted on site. As you walk in the door there is a Garanti Roaster which is not a display one. Its actually used. I had a chat to them as I thought it was a Garanti but there was no name plate on the roaster. They said its been rebuilt and repainted and its used for their coffee. They had just roasted some that morning and they do 7kg loads in it. I cant tell from the Garanti site what exact model it is but its definately a Garanti, probably one of their 10 kg shop roaster models.

Summary: excellent coffee, good service, nice scones, and you can look at the flowers :-)

Mike

Re: North/West of Sydney

Hi all

Found a very good cafe. Owner knows his coffee well. Chatting to him I find out that he has even rebuilt a roaster for a friend and so knows even more about coffee than your average cafe. While I was in their an ex-barista called in to get "The best coffee in the area". The owner makes excellent Devonshire scones, with cream and jam.

Cafe Name: "Pie in the Sky"
    1858 Bells Line of Road, Kurrajong Heights (near Bilpin)
    From my GPS: latitude -33.5150352, longitude 150.5804515

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by speleomike link=1221296682/0#1 date=1223385145
      Found a very good cafe. Owner knows his coffee well. Chatting to him I find out that he has even rebuilt a roaster for a friend and so knows even more about coffee than your average cafe. While I was in their an ex-barista called in to get "The best coffee in the area". The owner makes excellent Devonshire scones, with cream and jam.

Cafe Name: "Pie in the Sky"
      I must say Im surprised to see Pie featured here. Other than fiddling with coffee, the remainder of my time is spent cycling, and since I live "just down the road" Im up at Pie a LOT. I cant say Ive ever met the owner, but thats hardly surprising since I mainly see school aged kids working there (as theyre the cheapest on minimum wages I presume?)!! Mike, if the owner is as passionate as you say, I would encourage you to convince him to spend a bit of time training his staff as this would have to be a classic case of the owners passion not being translated to the final product. Having said that, Ive seen nothing in the set-up or equipment to hint that they are particularly interested in serving quality espresso based drinks, and its certainly translated into their product which I begrudgingly endure with monotonous regularity.

Its a real shame to have to contradict a glowing report, however I really wish this establishment would lift their game in this regard. Mike is right, its the best coffee in the area ... because its the ONLY coffee in the area! While I ride mainly during the week when its quieter, on weekends the Old Pacific Highway gets a good steady stream of cyclists, particularly in warmer months. Cyclists drink coffee, its part of the culture, and often have quite sophisticated taste considering most arent espresso "enthusiasts". Pie could really generate a good steady flow of business if it worked on the coffee to bring it up a notch, and pitched itself towards this customer base literally on its door step by providing free filtered water to refill bidons etc as many "cyclist friendly" cafes do. But of course being a typical Australian business I guess they couldnt stand the thought of giving something away for "free". Better to sell 1 bottle of Poweraide than give away a bit of filtered water, and maybe next time sell 20 flat-whites, 15 servings of raisin toast, 3 muffins ... etc etc next time the bunch rolls through!

Sorry for the rant but Ive always thought of this place as not taking full advantage of the location and its somewhat frustrating to me. It could be a "destination" instead of somewhere to turn around or ride past. Mind you, it IS better than "Road Warrior" cafe further out, not only is their coffee truly dreadful, but they HATE cyclists. Smart way to run a business that one  :

Comment

Is there more than one Pie? My parents live a stones throw from this place and its certainly nowhere near the Old Pacific Highway. To ride past it youd need to have some serious kahunas as Bells Line of Road isnt really that wide. Kurrajong is twenty minutes up the road from Richmond.

Grant

Comment

Hi all

It must be a different place PeteF. Easy to check as I gave a lat/long for the one I went to and an exact address - its on the Bells Line of Road not the Old Pacific Hwy. Also he calls his place "The original Pie in the Sky". I gathered there was another place that was a come-later.

PeteF said "I cant say Ive ever met the owner, but thats hardly surprising since I mainly see school aged kids working there .."

This isnt the sort of place that could afford to have kids working at. Its run by a retiree who was a former mechanical engineer. It would just get weekend traffic coming down the mountain back to Sydney. There is not enough business to employ staff and there is no transport to get kids there and back home unless they drive.

So I think there are two. Pete, one could check where your one is using Google Maps and see its lat/long and then look up where the one I went to is by the lat/long I gave.

PS. They also use rainwater for the coffee as they have no on-tap water.

PS2. Perhaps the Cosmos needs two "Pie in the Sky"s - one serving God shots and the other serving dregs to keep the Cosmos in balance.

Mike

Comment

There are clearly two similar named places. The entry in the BB said "Cafe name: Pie in the Sky". If you do a Google search for "Pie in the Sky Sydney" the one Im talking about comes up, complete with a map. Not surprisingly no GPS co-ordinates though. Not being originally from Sydney I had no idea where "Bilbin" is, but now see its completely the other direction.

Pie in the Sky is very well known on the upper North Shore and is just past Cowan heading north. If you have even a passing interest in coffee, avoid at all costs, even their pies are pretty crap in my book (considering its their speciality). At least I can now get over my shock that somebody would actually recommend it! Mike I can now confess that I even wondered if you were in fact the owner trying to drum up business. ;D

Sounds like "The Original Pie in the Sky" could be a place to head to, thanks for the heads up re the road though as you probably just saved me a lot of angst. What a shock to hear its yet another NSW road in sub-Third World condition :

Pete

Comment

Hi all

No probs Pete. Now the CSers know there are two similarly named places and what one is best. Lucky I gave GPS coords :-)

However Baristas or Owners can have good days and bad days in making coffee so a place can be recommended and yet be a dud for someone else - and vice-versa.

Mike

Comment

Coffee stores in Hawkesbury area

Hi all,

I am looking to do a coffee crawl and want to know the best places in the Hawkesbury to go for good quality coffee. Im looking at visiting Pie in the Sky at Kurrajong, Bellbird Echo cafe in Kurrajong Hills, and although its a little further away, Cafe Botanica in Galston. Can anyone recommend a couple of other stops I should make along the way or let me know if the above stops arent worth making. Its my first coffee crawl after doing some coffee appreciation classes, so i am a complete novice CSer, but I want to learn! 8-)

Comment

What happened to 50+???

Comment

Originally posted by 4749444B5C4A4B250 link=1221296682/8#8 date=1240224495
                    What happened to 50+???
                    Moved here by the mod team to keep things neat. The OP will be able to read any responses but not add to the discussion....

2mcm

Comment

Originally posted by 656F6A6030303631030 link=1221296682/7#7 date=1240186381
                      Hi all,

I am looking to do a coffee crawl and want to know the best places in the Hawkesbury to go for good quality coffee. Im looking at visiting Pie in the Sky at Kurrajong, Bellbird Echo cafe in Kurrajong Hills, and although its a little further away, Cafe Botanica in Galston. Can anyone recommend a couple of other stops I should make along the way or let me know if the above stops arent worth making. Its my first coffee crawl after doing some coffee appreciation classes, so i am a complete novice CSer, but I want to learn! 8-)
                      Not to toot my own horn, but my place in Richmond is probably the best place for coffee in the Hawkesbury :P

Grant

Comment

Well if its that good you will have to list the address ;D

Comment

Working...
                        X