Newcastle/Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcastle/Hunter

Bliss Coffee Roasters - in the Hunter Valley Gardens (Broke Rd, Pokolbin).

Have visited a few times in the last year or so.

This time round I tried an espresso, ristretto and a long black. The long black was great, the other two quite good. Really well made, just not my preferred style. Milk drinks looked pretty good. According to friends and family, the iced coffees are awesome.

Re: Newcastle/Hunter

Ill second them.

Time before last when I was in the Hunter I stopped in and spoke with the roaster as well as trying my usual flat white.

It was good enough to buy some of the same blend to bring home.

So to confirm Michelles impressions of the milk drinks, they were as good as they looked.

Comment

Cant agree with either of you more, this place really has some great coffee, having to stop there for one of these coffees is a must each time we drive from Dubbo to Newcastle...

Comment

Ive only been the once, but the coffee was awful when I went... might need to give them another try next time Im out that way.

Comment

Not so much as a great cup of coffee (I didnt stop to have one - I hate spending money on coffee nowdays when I can go home and make it - most times - much better!).

Id run out of Brown Bay Beans, and knew that Andy doesnt roast until the weekend so I was facing Tuesday next week before I can get a fresh batch, so had to go and source some reasonable roasted beans from elsewhere.

Not holding out much hope, I went into the Greenhills Shopping Centre at East Maitland and into a little cafe called Cinos in there. They had some one way valve bags of beans on a shelf and I asked the Barista behind the counter how fresh they were. His reply was "Im not sure, but I can give you some beans I definitely know are fresh".

I took him up on his offer and bought some fresh beans off him and they are brilliant! I could tell they were fresh because they left oils on the brown paper bag he put them in (Id already told him that I had a couple of valve bags at home, so dont worry about packaging them up too much) and I could smell them in the car all the way home. Got home, pulled a shot and can definitely say they were lovely & fresh.

Ill be going back there when Im in a tight spot again...thoroughly recommended!

Cheers
          Di

Comment

Hippo Espresso, Warners Bay Foreshore. Recently opened, true barista on the machine (at least on Saturdays) who knows her stuff. Fresh beans, great equipment (Mazzerx2/3-group La Marzocco), hand-tamping, jugs rotated, lovely coffee.

Comment

An extremely high recommendation to James at Real Coffee, Belmore Road, Lorn.

James, who owns the place, makes a brilliant coffee, offered two choices of beans and has equipment and every imaginable accessory along his walls that are to die for.  It was great to see a Vibiemme in the flesh (still think it looks a little bit industrial but, I have to admit, it looks a lot better in real life!)

James obviously has a real passion for coffee making and imparting that knowledge to anyone and, as a fellow CoffeeSnob Member, made us feel extremely welcome and comfortable in his Cafe.

If you are passing through Maitland, or live close by, definitely drop in and say hi to James and have one of his coffees!

Comment

Seconding James coffee at Real Coffee, Lorn, awesome. Thanks!

Exiting Real Coffee with my BeanBay greens, I was sorely tempted to make off with a local cafes sign promoting stale italian coffee on my way past. Hard to resist when a few of James coffees were still reverberating on my tongue.

Comment

Its hard to believe there has been no mention of Suspension espresso or Estabar.

Suspension was great a couple years back, but has been a bit hit and miss lately - they seem to be employing people that dont have much of a clue about coffee, a couple of the guys there I used to be able to talk to all day about coffee and they were as into it as I. All their been hoppers used to be between full and empty and were regulary replenished, with an excellen selection of singles and blends, roasted on premesis. Nowadays the roaster is in Sydney and there is rarely a full hopper or two, but if one of the old school skilled baristas is working there is still tastey espresso to be had.

Estabar Im yet to have a bad coffee, every time Ive been there the machine is operated by, I assume (based on the outcome), a skilled barista, and the drink is excellent. Highly recommended.

Comment

Rolladoor, opposite Sydney Junction Hotel on Beaumont St is doing some decent coffee.

I also got told the guy from DiBella is coming up to work the machine next Thursday at rolladoor too

Comment

if any CSers are getting around SCONE with that large amount of cafes around i suggest Canters using fresh campos beans and
                      Kerv is also good at times depending who makes it ushaly have fresh tobys estate beans.
                      The Larda is also good for a quickie. sorry so many to choose from but all a good drop, my fav is Canters though.

Comment

blurk, not a fan of rollerdoor. Also the new place, spocket that just opened, now the only roaster in newcastle I think... they run a hot air roaster that runs from burning waste from surrounding business or something. Nice stylings inside, I had a double espresso on the weekend. Wasnt bad, wasnt great though.

Still I prefer suspension or estabar.

Comment

^^^ I tried sprockets and it was awesome, but when I next went in they had a different blend in the hopper and it wasnt as nice.
                          Rolladoor was pretty tasty I thought, but I was annoyed before I even arrived because hamilton is just frustrating to get around with my son in tow.

Comment

Tried Rolladoor last weekend, we had large Caps, bit cold for my liking though, as soon as the g/f tried hers she straight away said youre not going to like yours
                            I wouldnt of even classed it as being hot, luke warm at best.
                            Table service was ok, the water glasses werent the cleanest though which was very off putting so from that point of view i doubt i will go back.

Might have to try Sprockets, but along with Sammus i think Estabar is still the most consistent place.

Darren

Comment

I went to Sprockets last week on my way back to work (had been in town for a meeting, so decided to spend my lunch break there) and the coffee was excellent and service was great.

They didnt have any beans on the shelves for sale, so I asked where they were and they were just roasting up a batch that day.  I happened to mention that I roasted my own at home and the Barista was really interested and genuinely impressed and asked the right questions.

They were also quite shocked and appreciative when I took the time to go back in after my coffee and tell them that I really enjoyed it and had done a great job.

Now, I just wish they would move closer to Williamtown.

Cheers
                              Di

Comment

Working...
                              X