Inner-West of Sydney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner-West of Sydney

(I hope thats the correct area designation - Im not a Sydney-sider so ... :-? ).

Flint and Steel
    (Coffee Alchemy)
    24 Addison St
    Marrickville

Friday and Saturday 9-2.

Regular-ish cupping sessions but you should probably call/email them to find out more info ...

Re: Inner-West

From my visits to the Coffee Alchemy Cauldron, I can tell that this place would be good.

Ive still got to try and get there though!

Comment

Re: Inner-West of Sydney

Hey Michelle,

Just changed the thread title to clarify that it is Sydney that is being talked about.

Comment

Re: Free Pour - Marrickville

I just found a new place.

Free Pour.

Its in Marrickville near the post office.
        As I turned into what used to be the side street, its now a "Plaza" I spotted two new coffee shops.
        The old Post Office has was taken over by a cafe a few yaers ago and what remains of the post office now occupies only the rear of the building.
        On the opposite side of the plaza are two new coffee places.
        One with a Greek name and theme, "Kafenes" and the other, "Free Pour".

Free Pour had a sign saying thay had "Single Origins", so I asked the barista what the SO of the day was.
        Theyd just run out so I had a choice of opening a bag of Kenyan, Brazialian or Ethiopian.

I chose the Ethiopion and ordered my usual double flat white and a long black for my wife.

After choosing a table I noticed that the machine was a Synesso. So naturally I got back up and started talking about it.

When the coffes came to the table we were left to sample for a while before the barista came to ask how the coffees were.
        My wife comment that her long black tasted a bit thin, which the guy didnt argue with.
        He then wanted my wife to try the house blend and wouldnt take no for an answer.
        She agreed it had more body than the first one.

My flat white wasnt the best coffee Ive had but I put it down to the bean not the making of the coffee.
        It didnt blow me away but it wasnt bitter and didnt have any other negatives I can think of.

I asked how long theyd been open, as even though I dont frequent Marrickville shops very often these days, I grew up there and have an interest.
        The answer was "5 days".
        He asked if Id seen the new Robur and I admitted I hadnt noticed that they had the new one with the built in fan.
        Before I left I took note of it being used and its remarkebly quiet.

I wished them good luck with their new venture. I dont know of any other decent coffee closer than Newtown (Campos, Cordial and Tobys).
        They have a chance to carve themselves a reputation for good coffee if the passion they spoke with cosistantly manifests itself in the cup.

Give them a try.

Free pour
        276 Marrickville Rd
        Marrickville
        Trevallion Plaza (opposite the post office).

Comment

So I walked into Marrickville Metro this morning to grab some groceries for todays BBQ. As I walk through the food court I notice a shiny new Synesso on the bench in a new outlet.

Free Pour! Also in Marrickville Metro! Just across from Michels Patisserie, I had a quick chat to Sherwyn who came across as very passionate and clearly knows his stuff. The espresso I had was great and just a complete surprise for ANY shopping centre food court, let alone the one in Marrickville Metro!

They are very keen on attracting passionate coffee drinkers and are, like any good cafe, interested to hear what their customers think.

I used to avoid Marrickville Metro like the plague even though its only 5 minutes down the road. Not anymore!

Comment

finally got my butt into Flint and Steel today.

wow.

so good! had an espresso and a cappuccino. amazing!

I left with a bag Ethiopian Sidamo Gerbichu and a bag of PNG direct trade something from five senses that hazel roasted.

Comment

Dude, that was me sitting in the corner when you came in. I had no idea it was you until youd left.

The PNG was the Elimbari.

Comment

haha, cool.

I was so freaking rushed that day.

Comment

Flint and Steel are now apparently open from Tuesday to Saturday - went there today and had a very nice macchiato.

Comment

Clipper Cafe
                    Glebe Point Road,
                    Glebe.

Serving a lovely blend roasted specially for them by Hazel de Los Reyes, IIRC through a LM FB80. Light, healthy food, home-made baklava and a range of small sweet treats make this my favourite Glebe cafe, and a sure cut above the usual suspects.

Staff were friendly, has unwired wifi hotspot and a mix of nice, beach-style furniture inside and out.

Comment

The Little Marionette
                      1A Booth Rd, Balmain (just off Darling St, near the Hospital)

wow. Tiny cafe, minimal seating. BUT: they have a basket full of rugs, and a park just across the street. Go sit in the sun, and they bring your coffee across the road to you!

They roast their own blend, and it reminded me of melbourne coffee: very chocolatey. I had a double ristretto based flat white, and I was really impressed.

This place is really great - so relaxing because you can just sit (or lie down) on the grass, in the sun and enjoy your coffee. Perfect for a day off.

warning though; set aside $4 for parking - its pay parking only, and being Balmain, its not cheap to park your car there.

Comment

Originally posted by 414D585855462C0 link=1224328934/10#10 date=1250554806
                        The Little Marionette
                        1A Booth Rd, Balmain (just off Darling St, near the Hospital)
                        Been there (last year). Has it changed owners as I cant remember it being called the Little Marionette. Pretty vibrant place when I visited there - lots of customers (in the morning) and the coffee was pretty good but that was in my fledgling CS days.

Do you know what the opening hours are?

Comment

Originally posted by 2E24312626293D3B480 link=1224328934/11#11 date=1250556183
                          Been there (last year). Has it changed owners as I cant remember it being called the Little Marionette. Pretty vibrant place when I visited there - lots of customers (in the morning) and the coffee was pretty good but that was in my fledgling CS days.

Do you know what the opening hours are?
                          My answer to both your questions is: I have no idea.

Comment

I regularly go to this cafe when Im in Balmain. Very tiny, but very nice coffee. Im not sure what s in their blend, but some Colombian for sure.

They usually close for sit-in customers at 4pm, but still do take-away for another thirty minutes or so.

Comment

true that ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X