Best coffee in Canberra?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tashie View Post
    Not sure as I don't think I ever saw Sunrise but I'm sure Google Maps will help you out. Good jaffles too.
    Yeh, I didn't phrase my post precisely. I realise it is on the bus interchange....was just trying to picture which shop it was located in. The Sunrise Cafe was a sort of a dodgy late night haunt for hamburgers and fried food like you'd get at a rural Easter Show They also did some alright stuff. Coffee was awful.

EDIT: Apparently it was actually called the Sunrise Food Bar and Cafe Lounge.

Comment

• People should check out Barrio in Braddon. Sam Burns is the man behind the show there who used to be the head roaster at Two Before Ten. Super nice people, great espresso and batch brew. Baked goods are provided courtesy of A.Baker. Glassware is from local artists.

Comment

• Canberra coffee

bean drinking some nice shots at a place called Autolyse, on Lonsdale street. Just FYI.

Comment

• Originally posted by taco View Post
          I had an espresso at Lonsdale St Roasters a few weeks ago, and it was pretty good.
          a second on this one. The espresso I was served up recently using some unwashed Brazilians was superb.

Comment

• Continuing to report on Canberra Coffee:

Just tried the espresso at a relatively new place called Torpelo, near the Pancake Parlour in the bus interchange

After chatting to the owner Nic about his set up and approach to coffee, I left really interested in what this place is doing.

Gratefully it is also translating in the cup, as I had one of the more nuanced cups of espresso I’ve had in some time. I think that is what they are going for.

Milk coffees are great too. Really pronounced flavour.

Well worth checking out.

They use a La Marzocco Linea and grind for all espressos through an EK43, dosed to 20 grams. From memory Nic is getting a 60 gram yield out of it, with a 25% extraction. That’s quite a long pour.

He does this, he says, because the Code Black beans he uses are so soluble that they warrant the extra fluid in the cup.

Results in a classy finish. There are arguments for seeking something a little more viscous and even more creamy. But that’s just my preference.

Comment

• Another cafe to add to the Canberra mix. Highgate Lane in Kingston. They are a roaster, and serve some pretty amazing espresso. The beans I've tried have been top notch also.

Comment

• Get a coffee made right at Wright - Molonglo Valley

Hello All,

I've discovered a mobile cafe that sets up every Sunday between 9am and 12pm at one of the newer suburbs of Canberra called 'Wright'.

He sets up in 'Link Park' in Wright at the co-ordinates of -35.324686, 149.036695 (Roughly) Google Maps is a little old as I write this, Google Maps for Android is a little newer.

What's great about this location is it's right near the start of what's called the 'Cotter Run' . This is where motorcyclists and other motoring enthusiasts hoon around the back parts of the country side.

So, if you're into motorcycling in Canberra you'll know of the 'Cotter Run' but you may of not known what awesome coffee is served by San from 'Our Dream Cafe' mobile coffee van every Sunday between 9am and 12pm at Link Park Wright just as the cotter run turns off the suburban streets and heads out to the back of the mountains. Why not stop for a coffee first, then have your second at the space center?

Even if you're not into motoring around the back parts of the mountains, grab a take-a-way before heading down to the Cotter Avenue recreation area.

Comment

• Trevs@Dickson

Have been to Dickson, Canberra a couple of times over the past three months. Discovered this place in Challis Street one morning when looking for some breakie. Friendly staff, good food and great coffee. They use fresh roasted beans from Black Mountain Coffee ACT.
                  Definitely worth a try if you're in that part of Canberra.

+1 for Coffee Lab in the CBD

Cheers
                  Mal

Comment

• Good Brother? Opened not long before I moved to Melbourne,

Comment

• Originally posted by Magic_Matt View Post
                      Good Brother? Opened not long before I moved to Melbourne,
                      Is that the one just around the corner from Trevs using Campos coffee? Was going to try them but they were closing up at the time.

Comment

• Espresso Room in Belconnen Westfield shops does some nice shots. Had to lay some carpet at the cinemas for 2 days and was lucky enough to find a specialty coffee shop in the shopping centre. I think the second time I went there for a coffee they made me a second espresso for free to compare the single origin as a double ristretto and double espresso.

Always nice when a cafe gives out freebies when you drink single origins black.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brewster View Post
                          Is that the one just around the corner from Trevs using Campos coffee? Was going to try them but they were closing up at the time.
                          Oops, accidental submit... could be, they're in the courtyard just off Challis from memory.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magic_Matt View Post
                            Oops, accidental submit... could be, they're in the courtyard just off Challis from memory.
                            Yep, that's them.
                            It's a pity I won't be back anytime soon, son living in Canberra is moving to Sydney in January.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brewster View Post
                              Have been to Dickson, Canberra a couple of times over the past three months. Discovered this place in Challis Street one morning when looking for some breakie. Friendly staff, good food and great coffee. They use fresh roasted beans from Black Mountain Coffee ACT.
                              Definitely worth a try if you're in that part of Canberra.

+1 for Coffee Lab in the CBD

Cheers
                              Mal
                              Yeh, they are good (both for food and coffee). They used to use Campos....didn't realise they'd switched beans. They also got a big thumbs up from me for replacing the worst named cafe in history ('Spill the Beans').

Comment

• Disclaimer - self promotion.

I own Stripey Sundae @ Gold Creek, where I make ice cream.
                                I don't make much coffee, but I already was roasting for myself in my Behemor at home so I've continued to use it to roast for the shop since I took it over a year and a bit ago.
                                I've been using PNG Mt Ambra green beans from beanbay and roast them to a little past 1st crack but before 2nd crack. I use that bean because I want to support our regional neighbours who could use the trade and I like the taste in a flat white.
                                I'm no Sasa from ONA, or a lonsdale street roaster or a two before ten, but I like what I make.
                                If I have a coffee flavoured ice cream it'll be made from the same beans too. I've got a coconut based dairy free ice cream with the coffee in it at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X