Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sydney - Eastern Suburbs

Tobys Estate Espresso Bar
    129 Cathedral Street Woolloomooloo (cnr Cathedral & Palmer)

I tried this place out today and found it VERY worthwhile.

I ordered a ristretto (good to see cafes that list terms like ristretto and piccolo latte on their menu boards). After ordering I notice that you can also choose a blend, SO or decaf. They supplied me with a SO (India Ratnagiri Pearl Mountain) which was rich and smooth. I wont pretend I have an educated palate but I will simply say it was the best coffee Ive had today and for the last few weeks).

I ordered lunch was was also delicious.

Im not going to break any site rules and post links, but the most notable discovery was that they sell North Tanzanian coffee (yes, Kilimanjaro). As I had just cracked a bag of Espresso Wow I didnt buy but I know Im going to have to purchase some of this VERY SOON in the name of FairCrack.

Tobys notes: ..... Smooth, sweet, deep flavours reminiscent of red wine and dark berries. Drink Tanzania fresh and black from the French Press or wait 8-10 days before extracting rich, honey-like espresso elixir. MMmmmm.

I noted that the bean size was quite small.

Re: Sydney - Eastern Suburbs

Im going to be down in Sydney later this week and the question still beckons? are there ANY good places near Wetherill Park?

I know Wetherill park aint the place to be but thats where ill be based for 4 days.

Before you go off the deep end about how the post above states the Tobys Estate is good...thats half the reason im going down there lol

So some othe suggestions would be appreciated that might be closer to where ill be?

Comment

Originally posted by 665F414F756D2A0 link=1231726051/1#1 date=1258434173
      are there ANY good places near Wetherill Park?
      Youll be about a 30 minute drive from AIR @ Seven Hills Luke. Might be worth giving them a call and paying a visit.

Comment

Just in case you didnt know, Wetherill Park is nowhere near Tobys - its about 30k west of there and, no, I dont know of any good coffee places there. You could try around Parramatta. Otherwise youd might have to pack a hand grinder, French Press and BYO.

FWIW, my post above is 10 months old and now I only go there occasionally. Im finding Tobys beans all seem to taste the same to me these days but one or two of the baristi there manage to serve a fairly good drop - worth the stroll from my workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by 1D3C3737302A590 link=1231726051/2#2 date=1258438927
          Youll be about a 30 minute drive from AIR @ Seven Hills
          Thanks for the hot tip!
          As for packing a grinder and BYO? Just finished roasting some Kenyan and Ethiopian to take with me. I have an emergency plunger to take with me but ill be needing a grinder. What are those good quality hand grinders called and where could i get one in Sydney?

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by 5B627C724850170 link=1231726051/4#4 date=1258445523
            Originally posted by 1D3C3737302A590 link=1231726051/2#2 date=1258438927
            Youll be about a 30 minute drive from AIR @ Seven Hills
            Thanks for the hot tip!
            As for packing a grinder and BYO? Just finished roasting some Kenyan and Ethiopian to take with me. I have an emergency plunger to take with me but ill be needing a grinder. What are those good quality hand grinders called and where could i get one in Sydney?

Thanks guys
            faced with an extended stay in Wetherill Park Id be thinking BYO. Nothing is springing to mind in terms of a tasty brew out that way. Are you talking about zassenhaus handgrinders?

Comment

Le Monde 83 Foveaux Street Surry Hills

Have made a couple of visits to Le Monde after meeting one of the owners Anthony at the AASCA judges training. He then went on to win the NSW Cup Tasting championship at the 2010 NSW Comp, with his Barista brad taking out second in the Barista comp.

So these guys certainly have the pedigree!

enough about that, Anthony and his co-owner Renee, along with Brad and the rest of the team are all lovely, friendly, welcoming people who you instantly feel like youve known forever.

Using a custom blend that Anthony worked on with 5 Senses, the coffee at Le Monde is delicious and works as well in milk as it does as an espresso. Sweet and savoury all at once, just thinking about it makes me want to go back tomorrow and drink some more. I noticed today that had a Mountain Top coffee on offer as a single origin but didnt have a chance to try it. I am told there are changes coming to add brewed coffee to the current espresso offerings.

Ive only had one plate of food there, but similarly I think I could go back tomorrow and have it again.

so yeah, Le Monde in Surry Hills - check it out!

Comment

Eastern Suburbs?

Comment

Originally posted by 454C574E4548402D0 link=1231726051/6#6 date=1258460116
                  I am told there are changes coming to add brewed coffee to the current espresso offerings.

Clover on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by 407C617A707166737B70140 link=1231726051/7#7 date=1258509448
                    Eastern Suburbs?
                    how is Surry Hills not the Eastern Suburbs?

Originally posted by 6D71716E75140 link=1231726051/8#8 date=1258526420
                    Clover on the way.
                    ahhh, you gave it away. I was trying to be subtle ...

Comment

I went to 'mae da' today (50 Llankelly Place, Potts Point, Sydney). I had an espresso and piccolo latte and both were superb. I'll be back for sure because this is seriously good coffee. I went on a bit of a 'coffee crawl' (including AllPress and Coffee Alchemy) and these were by far the best two coffees of the day. (I was disappointed by Coffee Alchemy today - very bright and tasted under roasted.) Anyway, the owner/barista at mae da uses Scottie Callaghan Tiempo coffee beans and I assume the beans are good, but he knows what he's doing with them and really extracted some great flavours. It's the best espresso I've ever had (although it's not my normal drink so my experience is limited). But it really was beautiful. If you are anywhere near the area it's worth checking out.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	maeda1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	573.7 KB
ID:	732899Click image for larger version

Name:	maeda3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	489.3 KB
ID:	732901
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...