Darwin/NT coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darwin/NT coffee

Eeek, there are no previous posts about Darwin or the NT in this section?
    Is there no where in this state which does palatable coffee?
    I am happy enough making my own most of the time, but I still enjoy going "out" for coffee at times.

Re: Darwin/NT coffee

/me watches the tumbleweed fly past...cries a little

Comment

Roma Bar in Darwin is the only decent coffee in Darwin.

Ricks Bar & Grill in Nhulunbuy is the best in the NT, he has a lovely Izzo Pompeii Lever.

Comment

Originally posted by 76707D647C7068110 link=1304916844/2#2 date=1305143521
        Roma Bar in Darwin is the only decent coffee in Darwin.

Ricks Bar & Grill in Nhulunbuy is the best in the NT, he has a lovely Izzo Pompeii Lever.
        I agree about the Roma Bar.

I wish Id known known about ricks when I spent 3 weeks in Nhulunbuy.

Comment

Thanks, its not quite as desperate as I was led to believe then. Surprisingly neither of those turn up on Beanhunter (which someone else suggested looking at)

Comment

Well I tried Roma bar, and I have to say... not impressed.

I didnt see (or hear) the barista coffee maker grind coffee once in the whole time I was there, and when leaving noticed that the doser on the grinder was almost completely full. Considering they made 3 coffees the entire time i was in there it was probably ground for the rest of the week.

I tried a latte as I dont tend to trust new places with a black coffee first up, and as I needed 3 (I normally take 0) sugars to be able to drink it, I wont be rushing back.

Will be ordering more from greens once I get paid.

Comment

Hmmm. too many cafes are hit and miss depending on who is on the machine.

The other thing to try is going to one of the regular markets they have up there in parap, nightcliff and maybe mindle beach. There used to be a place selling decent coffees and brown beans at the markets. The markets are worth a look anyway.

Comment

Cheers, road out to the markets this weekend, and saw a guy who was selling roasted beans at Rapid Creek market.
                BTW love the markets - Rustys in Cairns could learn a lot about local producers selling local products.

Comment

I am in darwin for a few days, agree about the Roma Bar, its gone downhill - you were right about the grinder!

Comment

Ok, 4 days in Darwin and all the coffee was crap. Just flew home this morning and pulled a nice latte out of the Izzo Lever and now just roasted a batch of the Mexico Yeni Navan Typica and pulled myself a nice double espresso of Peru Ceja de Selva Estate to confirm my impressions of Darwin - and of course it was nectar of the gods!

So with out a trace of modesty, I confirm the best coffee in the NT is at Ricks Bar & Grill!

Comment

Ahh, I see you would be Rick then?
                      Not had the chance to get to Nhulunbuy but if I do i will give you fair warning.
                      I am learning that apartment living is not very conducive towards home roasting so am living in a coffee desert for the moment.

Comment

I should make it out to Ricks one day... What does it cost for a return ticket? Maybe we could have an NT snobs meet & greet out there? Or maybe it would be cheaper to get galumay in here

linnaen are you still in the NT?

I've moved into the city for work and the coffee is pretty dreadful. Thanks to Andy I brew my own. Four Birds in the Star Village Arcade off the mall is ok. Caffeine Extreme has nice equipment but he wastes it on stale Lavazza or something similar.

When the markets are open, Coffee NT can make some good coffee.

I've ordered a fresh batch from Andy to keep me and my Giotto going over Christmas - I'm taking it with me!

Comment

Hi all territorians

Theirs a fantastic new coffee shop just opened up in Parap Village called "all about coffee & tea". Makes the best and more importantly most consistant coffee i've had in the NT. It gets really busy when the Parap markets are on but go any other time and you'll generally have it all to yourself.

Comment

I dropped in to coffee & tea a few weeks ago - didn't know they were selling drinks as well otherwise I would have ordered one. The lady I spoke to seemed to know about beans and other stuff but I didn't do the Spanish inquisition I think they sell Isomac? Can't remember. They had some Pullmans in store as well as a bunch of fresh beans. I'll have to go back for another visit...

Comment

yes they definitely sell drinks. a few Weeks ago they had the 2012 Australian barista champ up giving advise to customers and training staff at their shop and also finlays joint café, graig simon i think his name was. they both get their beans from Venezianocoffee.com.au my work mates and i quite often go to finlays for coffees and all agree it's pretty good Coffee.

Comment

Working...
                              X