X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for the heads up, I'm checking them out tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov21 View Post
      There's a cafe/restaurant just next to the deck which I find decent; can't recall the name. Maybe Java-something.
      By "deck" I assume you mean The Deck Bar. Nice atmosphere and fantastic laksa. The cafe next door is called Java Spice. Delicious cakes, and some great aromatics going on in there (take the wife / gf / significant other).

I went to the Pearl the other day. Maybe I had my hopes up at the sight of the lever, but I wasn't entirely impressed. The milk was a bit bubbly, the taste was a bit ... off (like the grounds were passed it, but the grinder was going while I was there). The temp was perfect. I don't know if you have to monitor these lever machines but the barista just let it run until it stopped itself. They were out of sweets by the time I visited (about 3pm). A good (not great) coffee, not worth crossing over town for but I'll probably stop in again if I'm walking by.

Comment

Originally posted by iaindb View Post
        By "deck" I assume you mean The Deck Bar. Nice atmosphere and fantastic laksa..
        Tried the laksa at the Parap markets?

Comment

I'm a confessed (Sarawak) Laksa nut. Used to frequent Austins Kopi Tiam in Mt Hawthorn where I enjoyed the best I have ever tasted - sadly now gone - so I sourced ingredients and made my own paste in an effort to copy the "My Mums Laksa" from their menu and I got/get pretty close (my friends opinion not mine). Would love to find a similar Laksa house here in Perth but haven't managed it yet - any ideas?
          Last edited by noonar; 13 August 2014, 04:14 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by Dragunov21 View Post
            Tried the laksa at the Parap markets?
            I think I've tried everything (edible) from the Parap markets...

Apparently the place on the other side of the deck bar (Cafe Del' Art I think) is pretty good with the coffee (and excellent calamari I heard) but it's a bit far for the daily walk so I'll try it out next time I'm there.

My boss just bought the Breville Oracle for work so I don't think I'll be taking many more coffee walks...

Comment

Originally posted by surgeonsam View Post
              Can I put in a vote for The Pearl, Victoria Arcade, Smith St.

First thing that you see on walking in is a Kees Van der Westen mirage idrocompresso 3 group lever! Flat white and espresso vastly better than anything else in Darwin, good food too. Run by a couple ex- Adelaide I think and the barista is from Melbourne. So they take the coffee seriously for sure.

Guys- tried this place this morning expecting something good. Coffee was really bad. They have the right gear but the beans were not fresh. Food was really good albeit over-priced. Give it a miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Gavisconi007 View Post
                Guys- tried this place this morning expecting something good. Coffee was really bad. They have the right gear but the beans were not fresh. Food was really good albeit over-priced. Give it a miss!
                Gav,

Were you visiting darwin , and live in Sydney? Did you try and other coffee joints in Darwin?

Darwin isn't known for its nice coffee.

I offer two plausible reasons for your bad experience.

1) the coffee is actually pretty good, for Darwin. I mean, they used real beans to make it, didn't they? There are lots of worse places.

2) this time of year is the build up. It is a little bit humid. It takes its toll on coffee beans, and human beans too - no one wants to do much. People are busy leaving on holidays, leaving skeleton staff. Not as many tourists around, and less incentive to do your best.

Comment

No offence, but I don't like the phrase "pretty good, for xyz" as it only gives an excuse not to be good. I haven't seen a cafe that doesn't use real beans, yes, "even in Darwin".

And regarding the build-up, I visited them in July and wasn't impressed either.

I think the problem is that most people who open cafe's up here don't realise that coffee is more than just grinds + water.

I hope I'm not sounding grumpy like I'm in a bad mood... I look forward to a good cafe here one day.

Comment

Fair enough. I'm not trying to defend any coffee joint here or promote. But there is a prevailing attitude up here - it's not right.you get used to it. I was surprised on a recent trip to Melbourne, with quality, lower price, and cheerful attitude.

Keep the reports of the good oil coming!

Comment

Any recent updates to this thread? I'm heading to Darwin this weekend and wondering if I should take the Aeropress or not...

Comment

Let me know what you find Rebem, I haven't found a good coffee in Darwin for a long time. I'm also out of green beans so even at home I'm disappointed...

The nicest would be both in Parap: Mad about Coffee and Tea, and the Laneway Specialty Coffee. Both near the parap markets.

Comment

Working...
                        X