Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Tassie snobs - talk up your favourite cafe

...here: http://www.news.com.au/mercury/comme...9-3462,00.html

Are there any Tassie-based CoffeeSnobs sponsors??

Re: For Tassie snobs - talk up your favourite cafe

Coffee Republic in Launceston. Passions in New Norfolk. Brew in Sandy Bay. The Groovy Penguin in Penguin.... and ofcourse on board The Bronze Cocky, wherever she roosts/parks

the Bridport cafe (in Bridport :P ) has changed hands, and i havent had the chance to sample the new owners efforts... watch this space!

L

Comment

Gday,

Launceston - little patisserie called Tant Pour Tant in Charles St can be great (they use Oomph beans, roasted in Hobart) - but you need to get the right barista. Coffee Republic in Brisbane St mall do roast their own, but they dont get the best out of them IMO... Croplines roast their own too. I havent been there but have heard mixed reports. Sorry if Im being negative here!

Hobart - Villino Espresso in Criterion St is fantastic. They use Rio beans (same as Mecca in Syd - which is kudos enough) and Richard is a genius. Island Espresso are great too, but can be inconsistent. Dont think they are roasting their own at the moment, but theyre getting good beans from Justin Metcalf. Sugo in Salamanca Square is interesting. Using Five Senses beans (good) and a Synesso (!!) with some guys who know how to use it (including my brother in law ... what? Its Tasmania!). Theyre pretty new in terms of being serious about coffee. Oomph in Hobart are a bit disappointing IMO because they roast so well, but make coffee inconsistently. Villino, Island and Oomph all have LMs.

So... I didnt exactly "talk up" my favourite café, but theres a bit of an (opinionated) overview. :P
      Cheers,
      Stuart.

Comment

Yep, Villino is my daily haunt, even though I work in Salamanca. Its worth the walk

If youve got time, add a comment at the Mercury story above & help educate the masses. They certainly need it - most of the comments there name Retro or bloody Jackman & McRoss as Hobarts best coffee [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Comment

Love some of the on-line responsed comments!

Mary-Ann, "sniff-sniff", lamenting the loss of Starbucks for her loss of gingerbread lattes.

Comment

While Im not living in Tassie, I can tell you I had great coffee in Launceston last summer, it was at Elm Tree Cafe. Which is near the information centre, they roast their own beans there.Whilst they didnt have a lot of food on offer, they have great coffee and this outdoor service window.

Comment

Hi Richard,

Did you notice how often Criterion St Cafe was mentioned? 24 times!! Hey, I havent been there so I dont know if theyre the goods or not, but it sounds like you need to strategically placed sign at the bottom of Criterion St saying "best coffee, 100m"... or one outside Crit St Cafe saying "keep walking"!

I think it takes a while for people to catch on to what good coffee really tastes like. Good on you for educating people.

Cheers
              Stuart.

Comment

Hello all,
                whilst not a Taswegian, I was lucky enough to sample some of the cafes when I was there last year on our honeymoon.
                The Hobart ones have been mentioned already, but I thought that Oomph was superb when I was there.
                The Eucalypt cafe on the Arthur Hwy, Port Arthur was sensational. Oomph coffee.
                The Groovy Pengion in Penguin was very nice as well. Genovese Coffee.
                Cafe Indulgence in the cinema complex at Devonport is also well worth a visit. Another Oomph devotee.
                All the best,
                Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovey link=1217393863/0#7 date=1218796751
                  Hello all,
                  The Eucalypt cafe on the Arthur Hwy, Port Arthur was sensational. Oomph coffee.
                  When we were in Tassie a year ago we had coffee here. First round wasnt quite what I was hoping for, so I asked for another but started going into details of how I wanted it made. The woman behind the counter asked if I wanted to make it myself, which of course I happily did That was my first experience behind a commercial machine & wasnt it quite a step up from my napolitana at home. Still, shot was decent & the woman was impressed that I seemed to know pretty much what I was doing.

Not my favorite coffee, but service second only to Dane & Island Espresso (who really looked after us after a recommendation to visit by the veneziano boys).

Comment

My first commercial machine experience was also an eye opener but the many hours of practise on the Expobar meant it wasnt a disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by stuartgrant link=1217393863/0#2 date=1217475052
                      Hobart - Villino Espresso in Criterion St is fantastic. They use Rio beans (same as Mecca in Syd - which is kudos enough) and Richard is a genius.
                      Agreed.
                      Since my VBM hit the bench at home, the only nice coffee I have purchased was from Richard at Villino.

A good coffee in Tasmania is hard to find. So many very average efforts out there. I didnt realize how "average" some of the coffees were until I educated myself.

Comment

I actually reckon that in proportion to both population and overall number of cafes, we have more great cafes in Hobart than Melbourne!

In Hobart, obviously Villino stands above the rest of the pack but Island, Oomph and Sugo also produce some excellent coffee most of the time. Then there are other ok cafes around Hobart like Brew, Tricycle and Machine (on a good day) that are less than snob-quality but not terrible either.

Compare to Melbourne - theres obviously a larger overall number of great cafes, but also many billions* of cafes in the CBD the bulk of which are really, really terrible - and many of the really great places are out in the suburbs.

Of course Tassie has the most dispersed population of any State, so outside of major population centers is likely to be a different story...

*literally!

Comment

I agree with you m@ that Hobart has a pretty good number of decent cafés per capita. Interestingly, I dont think Hobart consumers have the same generally high level of coffee knowledge that Melbournites or Sydney-siders have... or that could be some kind of bias on my part...?

Launceston unfortunately doesnt have a good range of cafés... or even ONE that Im happy with. Plenty of good coffee available, but only if the wind is right that day...

Cheers
                          Stuart.

Comment

Can personally vouch for Villino in Hobart as of Saturday! An absolute top place and the greatest care is taken with every shot pulled. I sat there for a while and watched Richard and his side kick make many many-a-coffee and was very impressed.
                            10/10 for consistency and quality.
                            (hey, if Barristers from other cafes go there it must be good hehe)

Good job mate

Comment

Villino is good! Just what I need after flying on to tassie. Thank you coffee snobs!

Comment

Working...
                              X