Great coffee in Hobart.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great coffee in Hobart.

I am in Hobart for a few days so I decided to look for a decent coffee. Looking up Beanhunter on my phone, I found a place called Zimmah Coffee. Actually, it took a few circuits of the city to find them as they are located down a driveway at 219b
    Murray Street. I just rocked up and a guy looked up and said "can I help you?" It turns out his name is Dané and he's the owner. He made me a piccolo laté and it was great. When he found out I was a Coffeesnobs he was very helpful, telling me about the business and giving me hints about coffee roasting. In all I think I was there for an hour and a half. Dané was a pleasure to talk with. He is obviously very passionate about coffee. Presently they use a Has Garanti 10 kgs and will soon supplement it with a 30 kg roaster. The premises has turned an area into a funky little café currently only serving coffee but will soon expand and serve food as well. If you wish to visit Hobart soon, you can visit Island Espresso on Elizabeth Street that is run by his mum and sisters. They serve his coffee.

Bought beans off them a couple of times. Seriously delicious.

Comment

I forgot to mention that Zimmer use a fully rebuilt old La Marzocco plus they have a Trifecta. Dané made me a coffee on the Trifecta that was fruity and lightly acidic. It's an amazing machine.

Comment

I had heard of Zimmer, but haven't managed to get there on either of my recent trips... Had no idea Dané was involved! Added to the list for next time...

Comment

The Zimmah roastery and Café are hard to find. They're opposite the VW dealership, down the driveway.

Comment

Originally posted by ajayro57 View Post
            The Zimmah roastery and Café are hard to find. They're opposite the VW dealership, down the driveway.
            Thanks for the description there, I didn't even have to google it. I went there this morning and bought two 250g bags of beans and the one I opened smelled sensational! Only had one cup and under extracted it (but I didn't want to waste it). I'll try again in the morning but, wow, so nice to have such a great roaster in Hobart!

Comment

No problem! I know how much difficulty I had in finding it.
              As well as the coffee tasting great, the labels on the bags are pretty groovy too. Dané was wearing a tee-shirt with a graphic from one of the labels. I wanted to buy a tee but they only had womens sizes

Comment

Omg I have found the best coffee I've ever had, in my own home, on the BDB, with Zimmah beans. Second the cool label art. The beans I tried today were 'Devil and the Deep', so rich.

Comment

Originally posted by tanethomas View Post
                  Omg I have found the best coffee I've ever had, in my own home, on the BDB, with Zimmah beans. Second the cool label art. The beans I tried today were 'Devil and the Deep', so rich.
                  That, Son of a Gun and Artful Dodger are my standout favourites.

Comment

Tattooed Nun is pretty good IMO.

Comment

Yeah I got a pack of the tattooed nun for this week so next week I'll try those other two! I'm finding 500g/week is about right. Does he sell by the kg?

Comment

I don't know. Give him a call.

Comment

BOUTIQUE ESPRESSO 162 Macquarie St (near Travelodge). A welcoming and friendly Anthony and Dominic served up excellent and consistent cups of Café de Lacey coffees to us over several days.
                          doctor coffee shop 2 Salamanca Place. What a great themed café. Bags of green beans displayed information about such. Coffee superb. Delicious carrot cake and hot chocolate also.
                          ISLAND ESPRESSO 171 Elizabeth St. Using Zimmah coffee. A very tasty breakfast and beautiful coffee to accompany.
                          A real treat was to take the CAFE TOUR.
                          Started at ECRU 18 Criterion St (Villino's hole in the wall shop close by to Villino Cafe). Tasmanian Latte Art Champion Andy demonstrated his skills. Caleb pulled fantastic shots for the art work.
                          doctor coffee 3/58 Collins St. Privileged to chat with Dr Wynde Mason who owns the business and has a PhD in coffee. They import their own beans direct from the growers. Wynde's credentials show in the incredible coffees and chocolates we sampled.
                          PILGRIM COFFEE 48 Argyle St. Owner Will Priestley Tasmania's Barista and Cup Tasting Champion took time out to discuss and demonstrate his themes for his MICE completion entries. They were truly amazing and we felt so privileged.
                          YELLOW BERNARD 109 Collins St. Using Gridlock coffee and some of their own roasts. Scott and Tim make fabulous coffee and the best home made Chai ever tasted. Incredible delicious tasting macrons (home made by Carol).
                          PM if you would like details of CAFE TOUR.

Comment

Sounds like a good tour - reckon I can guess the mob; they're quality folk.

I made a couple of semi-accidental discoveries on the last Hobart trip:
                            • Capulus Espresso is a new(ish) place just off the corner of Elizabeth and Tasma in North Hobart. Tres hipster-chic hole-in-the-wall doing a busy pre-work takeaway trade, with tables out the back in a shared garage space. SO ristretto was one of the standouts of the trip.
                            • Park Lane Espresso are tucked away in the walkway behind Smolt in Salamanca Square. Some nice use of Tasmanian timber in the fitout. I had three or four solid flat whites over a couple of visits.

Also had great coffee at YB, Villino/cru, Pilgrim, the Dr Coffee empire, Berta, and probably others I've forgotten...

Yet to get to Zimmah... next time gadget.

Comment

Good to see Capulus getting a plug.
                              Dan has been a mate for a few years and worked/ managed a number of places. The hole in the wall (well, back entrance to the Hair Salon) is his own space now.
                              Shared area out the back with salon clients works for everyone.
                              His own blend and roast he does in conjunction with the guys at Zimmah, and I recommend taking a kilo home with you.
                              It's a great blend and one I use on a daily basis.

Also, Pigeon Hole Cafe are worth the trip to an out of the way spot.
                              Kev is a great barista and always have some interesting beans in the grinder.

Comment

Working...
                              X