• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the first that spring to mind

liar liar - hawthorn
    batch - balaclava
    maling room - cnr canterbury rd and maling rd
    apte - heidelberg rd alphington (near amcor)
    bbb - little bourke st (pretty sure)
    7 grams - richmond
    grocery bar - st kilda

Re: the first that spring to mind

Veneziano - Abbotsford
    Coffee Max - Camberwell
    Caffe Romeo - North Balwyn
    Coffea - Vic Market

Comment

Batch? You cant be serious, Aaron....it had its hey day a long time ago imo. I have had espressos when doing coffee deliveries around the area....and most were undrinkable.

Comment

And what about that Veneziano place, not too sure about the coffee there as well, though I hear the new barista there is a lot better than the old one.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Gene link=1218372642/0#3 date=1218375115
          And what about that Veneziano place, not too sure about the coffee there as well, though I hear the new barista there is a lot better than the old one.
          over my dead body

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes - David S link=1218372642/0#2 date=1218374938
            Batch? You cant be serious, Aaron....it had its hey day a long time ago imo. I have had espressos when doing coffee deliveries around the area....and most were undrinkable.
            what is "Batch", never heard of it, even though I have been to Balaclava a few times...I know theres The Coffee Company there, that some of my friends were buying beans from. They have a cafe as well. But I wasnt particularly impressed with their large open baskets of roasted beans and paper packets they were putting the beans in, so I decided to pass on their coffee altogether. Thank God, theres plenty of places where you can have a coffee in the area (my kitchen, for example ;-) )

Comment

DSs comment about batch made me think about coffee quality ratings - i dunno if we want to go down that track, but if there was a rating system for each cafe mentioned, then theres going to be a pretty fair system. having 20, 30 or 100 individual ratings for one cafe surely must be more statistically significant than one individuals (!) rating.

also, some people dont drink black - they like some milk in their coffees.
              so, to say that a particular cafe is producing "not as good as it used to be" epsresso, it is still POSSIBLE that their milk based drinks are still quite ok.

aaron - prepared for the onslaught...

Comment

Weve kind of been down this path before and the complexities of ratings is where we always have trouble.
                There are a lot of variables to contend with in coffee and cafes have this issue as well.
                Even when you find a place where you like the coffee, often it depends on who is behind the machine on a given day.

Granted that some places aspire to a great standard with ALL their baristas, but this is not always possible.

Ratings are often going to be subjective too. What one member regards as below par might be great coffee to another.

The other issue is the turnover of staff and indeed owners. A cafe might impress greatly in June, be sold in July and the new owners dont manage to keep it up to the same standard. A member visiting in August is likely to be sorely disappointed by the recommendation.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying to ditch the idea here, Im just saying that its been discussed a few times before and has always proved to be problematic when trying to rate places.

Brett.

Comment

yeah fatboy i know. this is a hard one.
                  there are SO many factors that go into one click (rating).
                  but it might still be problematic if one person recommends a cafe then theres a response from another snob who disagrees. BUT if theres 20 responses, then a MEAN rating (averaging all the responses) might provide a better indicator of overall coffee quality.

Comment

"what is "Batch", never heard of it, even though I have been to Balaclava a few times...I know theres The Coffee Company there, that some of my friends were buying beans from. They have a cafe as well. But I wasnt particularly impressed with their large open baskets of roasted beans and paper packets they were putting the beans in, so I decided to pass on their coffee altogether."

id definitely go to batch (one up from the cnr of westbury and carlisle st) over the coffee company.
                    and pop into glicks for some good bagels or other traditional kosher fare. or then again, "lichtensteins bakery" across the road - some seriously good pastries, esp the almond croissant.

and  re the coffee company - i personally dont like their little cafe, nor their beans. i used to think they were awesome a while back, until i discovered other local roasters. my impression of their quality has since dramatically changed

Comment

Im going off coffee in cafes and pick bakeries that go well with coffee at home

French Quarter Best almond croissants.
                      Cavalini Lemon tarts, pear tart, apple crumble and most of their cakes. Pastry chef is one of Australias best
                      Fatto mammas pistachio short bread/chocolate & peanut butter balls/pizza is pretty good
                      Baker DChiricos pistachio macaroons (baked on Saturdays)
                      La Tropezianes Mistral slice/cake Best textural chocolate hazelnut cake. Vanilla slice is amazing too
                      Giant Steps The best croissants, portuguese tarts are best I have ever had. Sourdough bread is great
                      Vue du monde cafe pistachio cup cakes, caramel slice

Comment

Try Midali directly opposite, Rios coffee, kony, NS mac.

Comment

yeah midali are pumping out some nice things too andreas.
                          last time i looked thou there wasnt no kony there - could be a recent upgrade

but i still find batch a great coffee

im usually having a strong latte or a long mac and theyve all been consistently very good.

Comment

Originally posted by AndreasM link=1218372642/0#11 date=1218547142
                            Try Midali directly opposite, Rios coffee, kony, NS mac.
                            On the otherside of Carlise?

Comment

walk out of batch, cross the road
                              across the road from batch
                              almost directly opposite batch
                              if you sit in the front window of batch, look at 11 oclock across the road
                              red signage "midali" - its got a rosetta

would you like some more help DS?

Comment

Working...
                              X