Clear All

• Brunswick

I thought that a great way to categorise them is by suburb

Rays - 332 Victoria St, Brunswick
    A Minor Place - 103 Albion St, Brunswick
    Gingerlee - 117 Lygon Street, Brunswick East
    El Mirage - 349 Lygon Street, Brunswick East

Re: Brunswick

"the east brunswick project" just opened yesterday at the top end of Lygon Street -
    i havent tried the coffee but theyve got a 10kg has garanti roaster out the back and a synesso cyncra up front and they roast their own

i had a good chat to the guys there and they seemed pretty on to it - but id had 5 coffees before i arrived - so i abstained from drinking any more coffee!

Comment

and a minor place in albion street is my new local - damn fine coffee if you ask me! (though its hard to get me away from my machine at home) :

Comment

My faves in the area apart from the first 2 cafes mentioned (that Atomica supply so im biased) heres another recommendation for the Brunswick East Project.

Been a few times, good coffee and great, genuine people.

Comment

hey andreas,

ive read something about the brunswick east project being quite welcoming of baristas from other joints popping in for a stint behind their machine??

Comment

No idea Aaron, wouldnt surprise me if that was the case.

On my days off im not going out to critique or judge a cafe like some people may do, id rather forget about the politics, relax and enjoy a good coffee without imposing.

Comment

Though Im interested in critiquing and judging coffee, like Andreas Im not particularly interested in doing the same for cafes. That said, YeeZa and I popped by Brunswick East the other day and had some great coffee and they deserve some props for it. We had espresso with:

Padre: creamy
              Zimbabwe Peruzu: red apple, more chocolatey than the Padre, long aftertaste
              Oromia Coop Fair Trade Sidamo: strawberry, coriander, tea/tannin

We also had a french press of the Sidamo and my notes read "tea, mint."

The guys were very hospitable, the fitout was beautiful and Im sure that their coffee will only improve. If youre in the area, its worthwhile checking them out. If youre not, add it to your to do list.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Thought Id formalise it a bit more with details and add my vote to this joint. It ended up being one of the highlights of my trip.

PADRE COFFEE - EAST BRUNSWICK PROJECT
                438 lygon street
                brunswick east vic 3057
                open tuesday-sunday 8am-4pm

I think cuppings are going to be a regular occurence on Saturdays, but best to contact first.

Comment

Could we get a few more opinions on this "Gingerlee" place?

Comment

Luca this section is only for positive feedback.
                    Negative opinions arent meant to be posted here.

Your request may not receive a response if noone else has anything good to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1218374584/0#9 date=1224320219
                      Luca this section is only for positive feedback.
                      Negative opinions arent meant to be posted here.

Your request may not receive a response if noone else has anything good to say.
                      I dont know if thats the case.

As I foreshadowed in the discussion that took place when the "Good Coffee Where?" sections were introduced, these threads wont be very useful if you cant post negative feedback about cafes that have been recommended.

I agreed that people shouldnt be posting negative feedback about cafes that have not been recommended because that doesnt answer the question "Good Coffee Where?" However, once a cafe has been recommended, any and all feedback on that cafe should be fair game. Otherwise, I could go through and recommend every McDonalds in the country and that recommendation would stay up for time immemorial. Or a place could change owners and go downhill and readers would never know.

I ask again - could we get a few more opinions on "Gingerlee"?

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Been to Gingerlee a few times, probably more for the food than the coffee on most occasions.

Spoke to the staff and they told me that they use "Syndicate" coffee. Supposedly a small roaster who pretty much supplies them and another restaurant. Cant seem to find out more info on this roaster online.

Had a nice short black from their Synesso on one of my trips there, but havent had the luck of a repeat experience since. Perhaps on a busy Sat where their focus is obviously serving the masses isnt the best time to get a great coffee from them.

Comment

Ive heard of this company around the traps....and from what I have heard from people....they should be quite good.

Comment

Syndicate seems to be a fair trade brand that has some connection with gravity. Google got me a link from a fair trade web page that specified an "@.gravityespresso.com" email address.

Have they moved into the abbotsford espresso precinct yet?

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Past Gravity partner wasnt it? Something like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X