Balaclava + the legendary Carlisle St

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balaclava + the legendary Carlisle St

Though there has been some discussion about this area in other threads, I sort of figured that Carlisle St has been regarded as a coffee Mecca for long enough that it probably deserves its own thread.

Ill put my vote up for Midali Espresso. I had an espresso there on Friday that had good body and was quite sweet - always a difficult trick to pull off. I mentioned it in passing on my blog and Steve Agi thought that that meant that it warranted three beans on Melbourne Coffee Review. Some of the usual suspects mentioned Midali in the first that spring to mind thread.

Cheers,

Luca

Re: Balaclava + the legendary Carlisle St

Agreed. Midali = two thumbs up. Great espresso, friendly staff & naked shots for added drama.
    Ask about the blend and theyre only to happy to tell you about it.

So true about Carlisle St, the competition is fierce. The standards are high and hard to go wrong for coffee lovers.

Comment

Ill have to check out Midali next time Im in town. I usually go to Batch when Im in the area, but that is as much to do with the food as the coffee.

Comment

las chicas...... great place to visit in that area.......

Comment

Originally posted by 1A371C3B32323F5E0 link=1228136607/3#3 date=1243232526
          las chicas...... great place to visit in that area.......
          Thats a very impartial recommendation there, Phil.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Apologies for the bump but i need some help from my fellow CSs.

Im heading in to the St.Kilda/Balaclava area on Friday and as always i want to try as many quality coffees as i can.
            I need to be there pretty early so i also wouldnt mind enjoying a lovely breakfast as well.

So far im planning on visiting the usual suspects, Midali and Batch Espresso.

Any other suggestions (be it for coffee, food or both), lads?

Comment

If your there early enough the Galleon does an awesome breaky. Always hard to get a table though.

Comment

Originally posted by 5F47424257466D5F535C0405320 link=1228136607/6#6 date=1267517508
                If your there early enough the Galleon does an awesome breaky. Always hard to get a table though.
                Yeah? From photos ive seen it looked quite big (unlike so many other places in the area) so if they pack it out regularly they must be doing something right.
                Apparently their menu is huge and their coffee (Di Bella, from memory) is also excellent.

I spoke to someone today who suggested i try Las Chicas for breakfast, although like you with Galleon, they suggested i get there early.
                Same person also suggested that Wall 280 do a good coffee.
                Anyone able to confirm that those two are worth visiting?

Comment

Like many places in Balaclava that 5-10 years ago were considered great coffee, the Wall has not really kept up with the pace of change in the coffee industry. I think they are still using Genovese (not that there is anything wrong with that) but its not a blend you usually have to go out of your way to find.

Gattaca also in Balaclava have been using 5 senses for while now and Im yet to hear a review since they switched from Amanti. Their Baristas certainly know their stuff.

Regarding the Galleon they have a pretty good system where they take your number and send you a text when there is a table, so you can go for a walk down acland st rather then having to wait around.

Im not sure if it should really be in this thread though. Its only technically on Carlisle st. :P No where near the Balaclava strip.

Comment

Originally posted by 4850555540517A48444B1312250 link=1228136607/8#8 date=1267579054
                    Like many places in Balaclava that 5-10 years ago were considered great coffee, the Wall has not really kept up with the pace of change in the coffee industry. I think they are still using Genovese (not that there is anything wrong with that) but its not a blend you usually have to go out of your way to find.
                    I must admit that i have the same concerns when i see a well regarded coffee place using mainstream beans.

Originally posted by 4850555540517A48444B1312250 link=1228136607/8#8 date=1267579054
                    Gattaca also in Balaclava have been using 5 senses for while now and Im yet to hear a review since they switched from Amanti. Their Baristas certainly know their stuff.
                    Ah, i forgot about Gattica.
                    Im not familiar with Amanti but when youve got talented and knowledgeable baristas (as Gattica seem to have) and you give them the superb Five Senses blends to work with youve got to expect outstanding results.
                    Onto the list it goes.

Thanks for reminding me of it.

Regarding the Galleon they have a pretty good system where they take your number and send you a text when there is a table, so you can go for a walk down acland st rather then having to wait around.
                    I dont think id ever queue like that for a table, regardless of the quality of the food/coffee.
                    There are too many good coffee/food places in Melbourne to spend time queuing up.

Im not sure if it should really be in this thread though. Its only technically on Carlisle st. Tongue No where near the Balaclava strip.  
                    I was going to start a St.Kilda/Balaclava thread but when i saw this one i thought we could stretch the OPs parameters a little wider without much harm being done.
                    Perhaps a mod could alter the thread title to make a more encompassing thread about the entire area.

Comment

Its telling that there is no St Kilda thread. As an Acland st area local, there is no where particularly notable for coffee. My house being the only place I know that does SOs and guest blends. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 3A2227273223083A36396160570 link=1228136607/10#10 date=1267590027
                        Its telling that there is no St Kilda thread. As an Acland st area local, there is no where particularly notable for coffee.
                        Why is that, do you think? I find it really interesting and intriguing that certain suburbs, regardless of how trendy and upmarket they are, are known for having poor coffee, yet a suburb right next door has numerous options.

Have you been to Cafe Racer, down near the water? Ive heard they do a decent coffee although the constant stream of middle aged men in lycra doesnt make the most appealing of visuals.

Originally posted by 3A2227273223083A36396160570 link=1228136607/10#10 date=1267590027
                        My house being the only place I know that does SOs and guest blends.Grin
                        Is that an invitation? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 0404044E0 link=1228136607/11#11 date=1267597142
                          Its telling that there is no St Kilda thread. As an Acland st area local, there is no where particularly notable for coffee.
                          Why is that, do you think? I find it really interesting and intriguing that certain suburbs, regardless of how trendy and upmarket they are, are known for having poor coffee, yet a suburb right next door has numerous options.

Have you been to Cafe Racer, down near the water? Ive heard they do a decent coffee although the constant stream of middle aged men in lycra doesnt make the most appealing of visuals.

My house being the only place I know that does SOs and guest blends.Grin
                          Is that an invitation?  ;D
                          Cafe Racer is all right. I have had a well brewed long black there. I think they are using Genovese.

High rents mean that businesses want to be open day and night and serve alcohol. If you want a business like St.Ali, then its a waste of money to pay $5-10,000 a month rent on a shopfront, when they showed you can set up in a warehouse and be successful with zero passing trade.

Comment

New to the Carlisle St coffee scene is great little cafe called Monk Bodhi Dharma. Only been open for a couple of months and is quite hard to find as it is back off the street.
                            I think snobs are going to like this one - Hydra, 3 Manual Roburs, syphons, CCD, Pour overs, Diedrich 3kg.
                            Theyre using 5 senses and are also doing specialty tea with some teas going at $1000 per kg.
                            I jumped in on a training there with scottie callaghan this week and i can tell you they are pulling some awesome shots.
                            Check it out i think you will be impressed.

Rear 202 Carlisle St near the corner of chapel and carlisle. Up a cobble stone ally.

Comment

Originally posted by 2D01120E011313600 link=1228136607/13#13 date=1267602521
                              New to the Carlisle St coffee scene is great little cafe called Monk Bodhi Dharma. Only been open for a couple of months and is quite hard to find as it is back off the street.
                              I think snobs are going to like this one - Hydra, 3 Manual Roburs, syphons, CCD, Pour overs, Diedrich 3kg.
                              Theyre using 5 senses and are also doing specialty tea with some teas going at $1000 per kg.
                              I jumped in on a training there with scottie callaghan this week and i can tell you they are pulling some awesome shots.
                              Check it out i think you will be impressed.

Rear 202 Carlisle St near the corner of chapel and carlisle. Up a cobble stone ally.
                              Thanks for that. I had no idea. Ill check them out tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X