North Melbourne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Melbourne

Went to a place called "Auction Rooms" on the weekend, errol st , nth melb.
    good coffee, good food. They have a roaster on-site, and look like they roast 4-5 varieties. seems a little st ali inspired (but with better food!)

i recommend a visit...

Re: North Melbourne

Originally posted by 6F767177707D040 link=1236655095/0#0 date=1236655095
    Went to a place called "Auction Rooms" on the weekend, errol st , nth melb.
    good coffee, good food. They have a roaster on-site, and look like they roast 4-5 varieties. seems a little st ali inspired (but with better food!)

i recommend a visit...
    have just checked it out and have been served beautiful coffee of the day (sumatra lintong). Very impressed actually. Barista seems to know what he is doing and La Marzocco is good too ;-)
    One more good place in North Melbourne. Gee, it will be a paradise when Mark D opens Seven Seeds not too far from here ;-)

Comment

One of the owners of Audition Rooms "Andrew" use to come to coffee forums Luca and I set up 6 years ago. He is a coffeesnob and long time coffeegeek. Use to see many coffeesnob bags there when he first open. The statement "St Ali inspired" its really Seattle inspired.

Comment

Just a little more gossip on the Auction Rooms apart from the really tasty food and good espresso.

Coming soon is a drip filter bar (papers already under the counter) and the rumour is that a Syphon Bar may be following soon

Comment

Syphon Bar hype everywhere. We give syphon coffee away every weekend and I dont think people are interested in paying for it.

Comment

While going a little off topic it will be hard to justify to labour input to output cost of syphon compared to the speed of espresso based drinks.

I had a talk to Toshi last week about this and he still hadnt come up with a price to charge if it got to the front bar at St Ali but he was thinking that a Barista with assistant to clean would be needed for the best performance. It would also need to be a premium price at $4+ /cup?

I dont want to open up a can of worms here but it is worthy of discussion about price, workflow and speed of Syphon/Espresso etc. It might make for an interesting topic in the Manual Brewing section?

Comment

Originally posted by 002F25380D410 link=1236655095/4#4 date=1237878435
              We give syphon coffee away every weekend and I dont think people are interested in paying for it.  
              Perhaps worth a thread of its own, but personally, if you throw an outstanding coffee (89+ points) into a syphon and Id pay for it.

I went to Liar Liar recently and was quite suprised to see the amount of people ordering SOs from the clover.

It may not work in other capital cities, but I think in Melbourne, (some) people would.

Comment

Originally posted by 77757971717F7865160 link=1236655095/6#6 date=1237880092
                Originally posted by 002F25380D410 link=1236655095/4#4 date=1237878435
                We give syphon coffee away every weekend and I dont think people are interested in paying for it.  
                Perhaps worth a thread of its own, but personally, if you throw an outstanding coffee (89+ points) into a syphon and Id pay for it.

I went to Liar Liar recently and was quite suprised to see the amount of people ordering SOs from the clover.

It may not work in other capital cities, but I think in Melbourne, (some) people would.

Agreed - if there is a great coffee and someone who knows how to use a syphon - I would definitely be happy to pay for it.

Comment

I was having a chat to Aaron from the Auction Rooms while I had lunch and he fired up a Freebie Syphon (mainly because I expressed an interest). Interesting the roast was to dark IMHO as it looked like an espresso roast colour and tasted like it too. They currently have a Sorrentina setup with a Butane burner but a Gas fired multi burner set is coming from Japan (apparently).

Perhaps the problem to date has been that people of the Snobby persuasion have been given freebies rather than seeing it as an option on a board along with bean types with a $ tag to decide if they want one or not.

Maybe it is still considered novelty stage (or a way to try a single origin) by cafés at this stage rather than a money making alternate to espresso?

Comment

I called into Auction rooms today and asked the barista, if he had any pourovers for sale. He said that they had some, for in house use only but they were thinking of getting some in for retail and possibly trying syphons.
                    I would pay a premium for a syphon coffee, I am loving mine at the moment
                    The barista told me to go to BBB and get some esmarelda to put in my syphon.Got a nice takeaway blue batak latte from him though.

Comment

I had lunch at Auction Rooms today. They now have an LPG burner similar to this http://sorrentinacoffee.myshopify.com/products/lpg-syphon-coffee-bar-akira-3-burner-kettle-burner-stainless-steel and serve syphon coffee all the time.

I had a nice Ethiopian Yirg through the syphon. The wife had a latte with a Tanzanian SO which she quite liked.

Definitely a venue that is worth a visit.

Comment

Remember if in North Melbourne.... and a coffee snobber obvious...

get into the Di Bella Coffee Roasting Warehouse and check out our Micro Roastery...

Mention your a coffee snob memeber and you will receive special pricing...

Comment

We country bumpkins on our way to Ciff Richard and The Shadows called into Di Bella yesterday for lunch and enjoyed fantastic food, service and sensational coffee. The new kitchen was up and running and there was more seating. The staff looked spiffy in their new uniforms. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]The smell of roasting coffee wafted across Leveson St.
                          We went back today for Breakfast and was the place buzzing. We had to stand and wait for a table. We were looked after fabulously as always with great service and we enjoyed fantastic food and coffee.
                          Coffee is always consistently excellent and never disappoints. [smiley=happy.gif]
                          We came home with Ali Reserve beans. Afternoon latte was so enjoyable with the rich coffee taste certainly lingering on our palates.
                          Thank you Di Bella.
                          A great way to start and end our 4 hour trip to Melbourne. See you again in April.
                          Herbie and the Missus.

Comment

Was in Melbourne from Perth for the weekend and had a sensational couple of lattes at The Auction Rooms. Also had a great breakfast and theres a menu that makes it really difficult to choose what you want to eat.
                            Purchased a bag of house blend browns to bring home.

This is my second visit to the Auction Rooms and it wont be the last. Keep it up!

rynnlic

Comment

Working...
                            X