Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Coffee Gippsland/Bairnsdale/Lakes Entrance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Coffee Gippsland/Bairnsdale/Lakes Entrance?

What are my chances of finding any crema down this way??
    Im scared

Re: Good Coffee Gippsland/Bairnsdale/Lakes Entrance?

Be afraid, very afraid.

There is a joint on the esplanade in Lakes that claims to roast their own from memory (I think in the first block west of the pedestrian bridge to the beach), but Ive never ventured in.

Please give a report - Im down that way from time to time - but never game.

Comment

lol...im scared too. Youve given me hope though....im praying its not a false one

Comment

Now this is blatant advertising and I havent made 50 posts, but if you are passing through Gippsland on the Princes Hwy you just might head North from the roundabout at Stratford. 13km gets you to Briagolong where we sell some of Andys finest in The Riverstone Cafe. Good food too. Only 250km from Melbourne!

Comment

I can recommend "Six Sisters and a Pigeon" in Lakes Entrance. I went there today and after a week in gippsland and Phillip Island for new years I was starting to crave a short black.

They are using fresh locally roasted beans (I forgot who by) and today were serving a variety of PNG that I hadnt heard of, (and cant remember either) The milk coffees came out at a good temperature, a nice change when I had been burning my mouth everywhere I went for the last week.  

My short black had good crema and a prominent juicy acidity, the darker notes were fairly earthy. It was probably a faster then ideal pull based on volume and body (I wasnt watching) but it didnt taste under extracted. When he cleared our table and with me only giving compliments the barista explained he was struggling to get perfect extractions in the high humidity today. They were using an old La Cimbali grinder that looked stepped so maybe thats why he was struggling to get it in the god zone.

It was great to see an establishment making an effort like these guys were without necessarily heaps of $$ spent on gear. Just a bit of good old fashioned passion.

Comment

Where abouts in Lakes are they, near the footbridge?

Comment

Originally posted by 4F777E6B5D70661F0 link=1253788707/5#5 date=1262555811
              Where abouts in Lakes are they, near the footbridge?
              Towards the eastern end of the strip. It might be near the foot bridge I cant really remember.

Comment

I called in there on Monday, unfortunately it was late,(3ish) the chairs were up and the floor was being swept, but the door was open so I ventured in.

They were having electrical problems in the kitchen and had closed early as a result, but when I said that their coffee had been recommended, they offered to make me a takeaway.

My soy latte was made with red vitasoy and an organic PNG (yukka?) roasted by local  "Arrandene Coffee" I was offered a double shot, the temp was perfect, the microfoam was a little bubbly, but hey it was soy and Ive had and done a lot worse.

The address is 567 The Esplanade, Lakes Entrance. It is next to Pinncchios Pizza (best Pizza in Lakes) about 100m west of the traffic lights, which is about 1km from the footbridge.

It will definitely become a regular coffee stop on my monthy pilgrimage east, hopefully I will be able to try something off the menu next visit.

Comment

there is a cafe for sale in Mallacoota, they have a little roaster there, where they do their own... I told them to come here, as they are buying from Greenbean ... but as has been said, local palate seems to be for the lava

Comment

Working...
                  X