Axil Coffee, Hawthorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axil Coffee, Hawthorn

Today i dropped into David Makins new enterprise, Axil Coffee, at 322 Burwood Road, Hawthorn.

They opened their doors yesterday so i was really keen to see what theyd put together and my first thought was wow.

Its easily the biggest, most spacious coffee-centric cafe ive seen and the fitout is not only beautiful but also highly practical.
    Theyve obviously put a lot of thought (and money) into the layout and it shows.
    Such big, open spaces can sometimes make creating a good atmsophere difficult but i think once word gets out and they start getting really busy (which, given the area, might take a year or so) the atmosphere will take care of itself.

In terms of staff, theyve put together a real dream team of baristi with David and Zoe joined by Matt Perger and Ryan Tan.

In terms of equipment theyve got two lovely La Marzoccos, an Uber Boiler and the usual syphon and pourover options.
    In the grinders today they had their seasonal espresso blend along with a Tanzanian SO, whilst they had a second SO specifically for pourover (using the Clever Dripper).
    Theyve also got easily the biggest roaster ive seen out the back, although i didnt get a chance to have a proper look at it.

I had both a milk-based coffee and a pourover and both were outstanding.

Their choice of cups is also an interesting one.
    Theyve gone with these funky white numbers that David told me came from Intelligentsia in America and i for one loved both quality and design of them (the handle actually allows fingers larger than those of a 5yo to fit comfortably).

Liar Liar is one of my top five cafes in Melbourne, but until now they havent had a whole lot of competition in the Hawthorn area so itll be interesting to see if Axils big, open spaces (which is the antithesis of Liar Liars tiny, bustling space) can make a dent in the Liar Liar/St. Ali empire.

Its certainly a brave, bold concept and im really keen to see how Melburnians react to it.

Re: Axil Coffee, Hawthorn

Side issue Liar Liar has just changed hands again.

Was at Axil today and had a great lunch and coffee. Ordered from a waiter who actually knew what the coffee was and some basic tasting notes Great start and no doubt will continue to thrive. The Old Probat out the back is a classic too.

Comment

Originally posted by 4A4D49464E445141464F280 link=1305797375/1#1 date=1305883929
      Was at Axil today and had a great lunch and coffee. Ordered from a waiter who actually knew what the coffee was and some basic tasting notes
      I went back again today, this time for breakfast.
      Place was rocking, with a bit of a whos who in the house, including Will Priestly and Tom and Shanny from Elevenses (i think Shanny was actually working there today).

Food was outstanding, had a nice chat to Matt Perger and had a divine short mac with an El Salvador El Carmen bean.

Originally posted by 4A4D49464E445141464F280 link=1305797375/1#1 date=1305883929
      The Old Probat out the back is a classic too.
      Its rather pretty, isnt it.
      I meant to ask Dave how big it is but totally forgot about it.
      Im no expert on commercial roasters but it looked far bigger than the usual 10kg or so roasters i see around the place.

Side issue Liar Liar has just changed hands again.
      Really? When?

I was there last Tuesday and all the usual staff were there and they were still using coffee i know to be from St.Ali.
      They had a really rough patch after Malatesta bought the place from Nolan but lately theyve returned to some of their former glory so im a little worried at this news.

Comment

Originally posted by 737373390 link=1305797375/2#2 date=1305968685
        (i think Shanny was actually working there today).
        Sssshhh dont tell Tom but I had lunch with his better half on Friday when she was on a break

The old Probat is a 25kg I think from what I remember reading on twitter a while back.

Originally posted by 737373390 link=1305797375/2#2 date=1305968685
        returned to some of their former glory so im a little worried at this news
        Came out of the mouth of another nearby coffee shop owner but not confirmed by me.

Comment

So thats where Axil comes from, was at a new place in Malvern today and they had Axil on the board

Comment

Originally posted by 686868220 link=1305797375/0#0 date=1305797375
            I had both a milk-based coffee and a pourover and both were outstanding.
            David, Zoe and the Axil team know what it takes to prepare and present the perfect coffee and the results are evident in the cup.
            I have managed to drop in a few times in my travels and the coffee has been sensational every time.
            The place is comfortable, atmosphere is great, the staff make you feel welcome and the service and food is fantastic.

Comment

Went yesterday, what a huge space!

I enjoyed a nice brunch in the very rare sun.

I had 2 lattes which were great and I will be back for a few ristrettos sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by 68676D7B6C687A6B090 link=1305797375/6#6 date=1306813305
                I had 2 lattes which were great and I will be back for a few ristrettos sooner rather than later.
                Do you know who was behind the La Marzoccos, Andreas?

Just interested given Matt, Dave and Ryan all flew out on Sunday.

Comment

No sorry Ristrom. I walked in look around then went outside to enjoy the sun.

I did have a look for Dave but didnt spot him.

Comment

Originally posted by 2F202A3C2B2F3D2C4E0 link=1305797375/8#8 date=1306899657
                    No sorry Ristrom.  I walked in look around then went outside to enjoy the sun.

I did have a look for Dave but didnt spot him.
                    Daves at the WBC in Bogota

Comment

grabbed a roll and a takeaway flat white the other day.

both very good, their takeaway was a smaller cup than you would usually get, even for a "regular" but it was an excellent balance of espresso to milk. Quality over quantity.

They also have an excellent collection of coffee equipment for sale. hand grinders, clever drippers, syphons etc and whilst browsing I was asked if I needed a hand.

It was a pleasant experience all round 8-)

Comment

finally dropped in on the way back to the office and there was parking out the front so had a try

got a clever dripper brew of an indian geisha, never tried clever drip before but will certainly be back to try it again

nice space with what looks to be a good selection of coffee and food

Comment

Ive been frequenting Axil quite a bit recently and continue to be impressed.

Dave and Zoe have trained the floor staff brilliantly, theyre getting good, consistent quality in the cup and the food thats coming out of the kitchen is excellent.

I stopped by for lunch today and was pleased to see that their SO of the day was a Herbazu, a bean ive experienced (and enjoyed) at quite a few places in the last year, and i have to say it was the best Herbazu ive had in Melbourne.

I noticed they had a new female barista working alongside Matt, and given what i experienced in the cup, theyve obviously recruited another quality barista.

Comment

The burwood rd cafe is pretty impressive. The food is amazing, and there are heaps of great coffee options to choose from. All the coffee apparatus options are far too tempting, and its a great place to pick up some really nicely roasted beans. Love the feel of the place, and it seems to be pretty busy most of the time so it must have quite a following. Will be taking people to visit this place as its very cool.

Comment

Working...
                            X