Bendigo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendigo?

Im spending a couple of days up that way next week and not having been there since i was a kid, i need a little help in finding a decent coffee.

Can anyone suggest where i might be able to get a decent coffee (and a decent bite to eat) in and around Bendigo?

Re: Bendigo?

There are a few places on bath lane that were ok last time I was there. Cant remember their names sorry, there was also a roaster in the CBD I heard about after i was there, again their name escape me but I heard good reports.

Brett

Comment

the roaster in the CBD is called coffee select, theyre in the same street with the mall, but up opposite the library and town hall

havnt had coffee there for 3 or 4 years as i live in melb now but last time i went it was good

I think if its still there green olive is meant to do good coffee, they used to be just behind the bendigo bank hq

theres a few eateries along the main drag in the same area that did good food when i was living there too

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, lads.
        Im note them down, check them out and see what else i can find along the way.

Comment

Thought i best update the thread with my thoughts on the Bendigo coffee scene.

Firstly, Coffee Select that phrosty mentioned have closed down.
          Id heard good things about a place close to what was Coffee Select so dropped in but as soon as i saw them making my coffee i knew id just wasted $3.50.
          They were getting the ground coffee out of a tin, and upon pouring milk i noticed a spoon being used to hold back the froth.

Things got better though, when i dropped into THooft in Lyttleton Terace.
          Theyve got a lovely roaster on site (and even a little Behmor), roast their own and served up an excellent cup.

Further down Lyttleton Terrace (actually on the corner of Mundy Street) i really struck gold with Old Green Bean, a relatively new cafe run by a Scottish ex-pat and his girlfriend.

Theyve got a funky space with three rooms, old-school furnishings (including a cracking 1970s b&w tv) and a general vibe that reminds of a cafe youd expect in Brunswick.

Theyve got a beautiful little orange Diedrich roaster (i think from memory it was a 2.5kg capacity) where they roast their house blend, currently a 50/50 mix of Ethiopian Sidamo and the superb Guatemalan Huehuetenango.

In the cup the results were excellent and wouldnt have been out of place aside cups from superb places like Proud Mary, 3 Bags Full and Axil.

The service is about as friendly and relaxed as ive found, the food is simple but excellent (and very modestly priced especially considering the serves are huge) and the the coffee outstanding.

Old Green Bean will definitely be my first port of call when im next in Bendigo and is well worth a visit (as is THooft) if any other CoffeeSnobs are in the area.

Comment

thats a bugger about coffee select...

wouldnt have thought a cafe would pop up that far along lyttleton as i worked along mundy street years ago, might have to stop in if im in bendigo sometime soon and check it out

Comment

Originally posted by 524A504D51565B404D4B220 link=1311739542/5#5 date=1313054981
              wouldnt have thought a cafe would pop up that far along lyttleton as i worked along mundy street years ago, might have to stop in if im in bendigo sometime soon and check it out
              I was surprised to find it, too, but theyve got a great space and seem to be doing a roaring trade.
              I guess it proves that if you provide quality, they will come, regardless of location.

BTW In terms of food, Piyawat Thai is an absolute cracker, in fact, right up there with a couple of the better Thai places in Melbourne.

Comment

Originally posted by 6A6A6A200 link=1311739542/4#4 date=1312967495
                Further down Lyttleton Terrace (actually on the corner of Mundy Street) i really struck gold with Old Green Bean, a relatively new cafe run by a Scottish ex-pat and his girlfriend.
                I discovered "Old Green Bean" while visiting Bendigo last week.
                It was about 11am and the place was bustling with activity, the owners Chris and Zoe were hard at it but not too busy to acknowledge each customer as they entered, I ordered a long black and 2 x cappas, 5 mins later they arrived at our table, the cappucinos were well presented in nice cups and the artwork was way above average, my LB looked the goods with a nice layer of crema, the results in the cup were impressive.
                Well done to the owners and staff at "THE OLD GREEN BEAN" I wish you every success.
                My one grizzle, the coffees could a few degrees warmer.

Comment

To add to T'Hooft and Old Green Bean there is The Subtle Eye in Bull St, just down from Puggs Bar. Those 3 are about the best I have found so far. I got told there was a great place in Hargreaves St, near the library but I had exactly the same experience as JJJ - my macchiato was almost undrinkable and burnt as well. Later I found out that WASN'T the place they talked about and now I know they must have been thinking about Coffee Select.

Interestingly I had the same 'not-quite-hot-enough' experience at the OGB - might have to go back and let them know it wasn't just me - coffee was definitely nice enough so maybe it's a serving thing or they don't preheat cups or something.

I got my beans out at Custom Coffee - a variety of type available at $36/kg - not sure how that compares yet as, even with all my stuffing around with my grinder I still have more than half my first buy left. I'm keeping them in large Moccona jars in the cupboard so hopefully they will stay drinkable for a reasonable time. I'm still looking around for roasters around town, so far the only other one I know of is Brewhouse Coffee Roasters in Golden Square - not sure if T'Hooft sells their mixes so don't know if I can add them. They actually differentiate between bean types for black versus milk coffees but I don't know if that's a real difference or a bit um... posh talk.

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
                    They actually differentiate between bean types for black versus milk coffees but I don't know if that's a real difference or a bit um... posh talk.
                    There certainly is a difference, some beans are suited to milk based drinks, others to espresso, have a look here.
                    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/milk-froth...-drinkers.html

Comment

The Brewhouse is the new roaster in town (moving to Hargraves St) but I was not thrilled with the coffee when I went there. I don't think they rested it long enough and it was tight and very sour. It might have just been a bad day though so give them a shot.

Wholesome Bean is not too bad (Hargraves St) and the Green Olive in Bath Lane is not bad either. I haven't been to the Old Green Bean but heard that it is very good.

- I still prefer my own roasted coffee from CS .

As far as food goes:

Buchon - French (but don't hold that against them)
                      The Woodhouse - good steak
                      Masons of Bendigo - Need to book (haven't been there yet)
                      LaPiazza Wine Bar - Italian
                      Golden Star - Chinese (next to Wholesome Bean) $8.50 lunch and very good

Comment

I was disappointed with Green Olive macchiato - I took the first one back and the 2nd one wasn't much better. Their latte's looked OK but smelled burned so I haven't been back. For local beans, Custom Coffees were very helpful and when I asked how recent the roasts were said they rested them for up to a week before selling them. I'd like to get beans from site sponsors but will probably only do so on my trips to Melb. Otherwise freight costs make it an extra-expensive way to shop.

Comment

Friend of mine who lives here highly recommends brewhouse coffee - 7 Eve Ct Golden Square

not right in the CBD but not too far to walk or drive either, from what i've read and what my friend has told me they roast in house as well

Comment

Brewhouse expanding like helium all over the place, buying gigantic roasters, selling state wide; upshot: their inhouse coffee isn't rested well at all resulting in distasteful coffee and not looking after the walk in customer while serving the state. Old Green Bean now supplying the Boardwalk Cafe on Lake Weeroona which has to be the best location to take coffee in Bendigo, so apart from the Naked Espresso try the Boardwalk.

Comment

Yep Michael - the Get Naked Espresso Bar has to be the tops in Bendigo. I'd buy it there as takeaway and drive down to Weroona. All the others pale by comparison in quality. And the missus says my hot chocs run in 2nd to GNEB's... (bugger - trying harder now... )

Comment

Working...
                              X