Ora, Kew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ora, Kew

This place only opened yesterday, and is fronted by John Vroom (ex-Proud Mary).

Its a small place with 26 seats (22 comfortably, id say) on the site of the old Ocha, in Pakington St, Kew.

Theyve got a beautiful La Marzocco Strada (possibly the first ive seen in Melbourne, or at least noticed), along with a couple of syphons.

Theyre deiliberately keeping the bean options to a minimum (much like Axil is doing), offering a house blend roasted by Proud Mary, a rotating single origin espresso and a rotating filter option.

Yesterdays single origin espresso was Nicaraguan Limoncillo, whilst the filter option was a Panamanian Geisha.

Knowing John Vrooms expertise behind the syphon i was dead keen to have one of those but i couldnt resist seeing what the new Strada could do, and i was mightily impressed.

The house blend was everything youd expect a good house blend to be, whilst the Nicaraguan Limoncillo was incredible as a double ristretto flat white (id have to say it would make my top five in terms of milk-based coffees ive had across Melbourne).

In terms of food, theyve got a small but interesting mix of cafe/restaurant dishes on the menu, and all seem to be prepared and presented beautifully by their chef (who is ex The Commoner).

Its great to see a serious coffee option in the vacuum north of Hawthorn and south of Northcote (aside from Studio Movida, of course).

Well worth a visit.
Working...
X