Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Coffee Commission - good coffee with Robusta beans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Coffee Commission - good coffee with Robusta beans!

The Coffee Commission is one of those places you can walk past a hundred times and not notice, they’re in the lower ground floor at the back of 80 Collins St, so actually on Little Collins St, on the corner of Exhibition St.

They have a 3 group Linea and I think Mazzers, but I couldn’t see them clearly.

They market themselves very much as a real Italian coffee house - they have lots of signs saying things like they do “real Italian coffee, not coffee that just has an Italian name”, etc, but the sign that really caught my eye was one that said “our coffee is proudly 100% Arabica free”. When I asked the barista she said the sign was a little out of date and they now use blends that are 20%-40% robusta, as 100% robusta was just to overpowering for most people.

I was completely intrigued by the proud use of robusta, so I had to try a double espresso. A good sized shot with decent crema, it had a slight bitterness but overall was a nicely balanced shot with a little sweetness coming through at the end. It certainly opened my mind on the use of robusta in an espresso blend.

Even though it’s a normal sized café with maybe 16 chairs inside and another 10-12 outside, they just do coffee, so they’re actually BYO food.

The Coffee Commission is well worth a visit, not sure it’ll make it onto my regular paris end rotation, with so many great cafes near that corner, (It’s between Famished and Black Velvet) but interesting all the same.

Originally posted by Jonathon View Post
    they’re in the lower ground floor at the back of 80 Collins St, so actually on Little Collins St, on the corner of Exhibition St.
    80 Collins Street is really a 'cheat' of an address, when Nauru House (as it was originally called) was built in Exhibition Street, they decided a Collins Street address was swankier, so they bought the building that was at 80 Collins Street and knocked it down, making a walkway 'entrance' to Nauru House and 'borrowing' the Collins Street address for Nauru House.

Comment

I tried this whilst down in Melbourne thursday morning, a piccolo latte with their "extra robusta" blend

I was very pleasantly surprised.......... Strong but not too strong, no bitterness, im new to "coffee" tasting vocab but i think it had a strong dark choc hit........ but definitely not as delicate tasting a coffee as i had down the road at famish'd the morning before.

Comment

Happy to give it a try when next in the city - I can drop the missus at Haig's and wander over - are we mentioning we are from CS? Might get them involved here...

Comment

Working...
        X