Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Visiting Melbourne this weekend - your top 3 cafes in/around CBD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting Melbourne this weekend - your top 3 cafes in/around CBD?

Hi all

I will be visiting Melbourne for the first time since I became a coffee snob.

I have heard of Atomica and Seven Seeds, and have been to Auction Rooms (but somehow the coffee did not make an impression on me, maybe because I was having it with breakfast).

Which other cafes do you think are a must, for a Sydney based coffee snob visiting Melbourne?

Would very much appreciate your top 3 (for coffee + atmosphere) in and around CBD (including surrounding suburbs like Fitzroy, Carlton etc).

I am planning to visit at least 4 of them next weekend while I'm there for work, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Not much help to you maybe, but IF you find yourself on the Mornington peninsula, be sure to hit up Via Battisti.

Comment

On the north side of town:
      Proud Mary, Collingwood, but it gets packed at weekends, before 9:30 for breakfast and you've got a chance of a table.

Three Bags Full, Abbotsford. Similar to above but not quite so crazily busy.

Padre at Queen Vic market.

Cheers
      Jonathon

Comment

Just a few of them I have been in the past few years, Menchester Press in CBD, St Ali, Malling Room, should not disappiont you.

Comment

Agreed with Padre at the Queen Vic Market, also Market Lane espresso, which also has a drip station. Don't get this confused with Market. Espresso which is terrible!

Market Lane is in Therry St.

Brother Bubba Budan is good in the CBD.

Comment

Auction Rooms is good if you steer away from their house blend, which is pretty boring.

Comment

Thanks all.

Three bags full is the cafe I had heard about before and wanted to visit.

I will check out:
              Atomica
              Seven Seeds
              Three Bags Full
              Padre

To return the favour, here are my top 5 favourite cafes in Sydney serving specialty coffee:
              - Mecca, Ultimo or CBD
              - Campos, Newtown
              - Grounds of Alexandria, Alexandria
              - Single Origin Roasters, Surry Hills
              - Coffee Alchemy, Marrickville

Comment

Three bags full is excellent, it was opened by the guy who opened APTE in Alphington, which was off the charts when it opened.

He sold Three Bags Full a year or two ago, but the new owners haven't missed a beat and it's still excellent.

Because it's a little off the beaten track, I'd aim to get there as early as possible to get a table (they open at 8am on weekends), as there aren't too many other options nearby.

Incidentally, the guy who set it up has a sister who owns Red Door Corner Store in Northcote, which is my local cafe.

Comment

I forgot about the best espresso shot in Melbourne - Chris from Talk Coffee!

If you can find something to buy from him on Saturday morning, he'll pull a shot for you on his lever machine which will have you floating on clouds.

Comment

I would highly recommend Veneziano in Abbotsford, theyre not super busy on saturday mornings from my experience anyway (that's where the Melbourne beanbay pickups have been previously)

They have a nice choice of filter options as well, usually 2 or 3 different ones available, pretty easy to get to by tram as well if you're using PT

It would help if I put the address in as well...

26 Bond St, Abbotsford
                    Mon – Fri: 8am – 4pm
                    Sat: 8am – 2pm
                    Last edited by phrostyboi; 3 May 2013, 10:25 AM. Reason: forgot the address... whoopsie

Comment

Originally posted by phrostyboi View Post
                      I would highly recommend Veneziano in Abbotsford, theyre not super busy on saturday mornings from my experience anyway (that's where the Melbourne beanbay pickups have been previously)
                      Do they do food there? Despite living in that part of town, I'm embarrassed to admit I've never been there.

Comment

according to the website yes, baguettes, sandwhiches and so on, havn't had the food as i've only been once but if it's up to the standard of the coffee i'm sure it would be good

only had coffee the only time i've been there on a beanbay pickup day, was a very interesting yirgacheffe on syphon, yum

Comment

Ones I've visited that I rate are:

Proud mary - overall favourite
                          Veneziano - current seasonal espresso is the bomb. Nice crew
                          St Ali - always have interesting SOs and I love the grungey vibe. Breakfast venue of choice
                          Brother Baba Budan - a hole in the wall. Coffees and pastries rock

Details of above already posted by others

Also, Top Paddock, 658 Church St Richmond. Great food, cool space, good range of coffees and pourover options. Top choice for lunch

Comment

Also market Lane in prahran market has stunning SO coffees perfectly poured, and the seasonal espresso never disappoints

Comment

Anyhow... I'll throw some suggestions into the ring

In no particular order:
                              • Code Black Coffee (Brunswick)
                              • Patricia Coffee Brewers (CBD)
                              • The Premises (Kensoville)

Comment

Working...
                              X