Toby's Estate, Flinders Lane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toby's Estate, Flinders Lane

Toby’s Estate have opened a new café and training centre at 325 Flinders Lane, between Queen and Elizabeth. (Where Glick’s used to be)

A Kees van der Westen Spirit Triplette is the main machine up front, along with a few roburs, pour overs, etc. At the back is their training area, with a couple of 2 group E61s, a couple of Brevilles and a Speedster. Yes, you can come play on a Kees van der Westen here!

As for the coffee, my flat white was very balanced, smooth and the perfect temp, a top drawer coffee and some serious competition to Cup of Truth around the corner.

For takeaway they offer 4 sizes, the middle two being $3.50 and $3.80.

They do the usual cakes and pastries and there’s also a full kitchen attached to it, so I guess they do main meals as well, but I’d just been to Huxtaburger across the road, so in no mood for more food.

They sell some equipment here, Aeropress, Hario, etc and they did have a Rocket Evo on the shelf as well.

This is a great addition to this part of the city, well worth a visit.

Cheers
    Jonathon

Thanks for the review. Don't they also have a store on bourke between Russell and Swanson I think.
    Do they roast their own beans or are he purely a cafe + training shop?

Comment

Originally posted by ogip View Post
      Thanks for the review. Don't they also have a store on bourke between Russell and Swanson I think.
      Do they roast their own beans or are he purely a cafe + training shop?
      I didn't see a roaster there and they possibly don't have the vent capacity, given they're in the bottom of an office building and no open windows, but perhaps they could get creative.

However I think they offer home roasting courses, so perhaps they have a small roaster lurking somewhere, I'll have to check it out more thoroughly next time.

Yes there is a cafe on Bourke that uses Toby's Estate, but AFAIK they're just a cafe, not a training centre as we'll, and last time I tried it I didn't think it worthy of a post on here.

Comment

Originally posted by ogip View Post
        Thanks for the review. Don't they also have a store on bourke between Russell and Swanson I think.?
        Pretty sure that closed a couple of months ago. Maybe in preparation for the new site.

Comment

Walked passed the today and my snobometer detected a nice aroma so i popped in to try an espresso.
          Staff were nice and friendly, house blend espresso was quite nice even without sugar.
          They also asked me to try their single origin of the day which was also nice but as an espresso I preferred the blend.
          Over all, a very nice experience and would definitely return there.

Comment

I checked this place out a couple of times when I was in Melb for MICE and it was definitely one of the best. As mentioned lots of Kees hardware, filter equipment, and a good range of their blends and singles available from friendly staff.
            It is my understanding that Toby's used to roast in Brunswick but now all roasting for the east coast is done in Sydney. They also roast in Perth, Singapore and New York.

Comment

Working...
            X