Best in Bendigo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best in Bendigo

After a number of weeks walking past the new coffee place in Mitchell St. Bendigo, (street running off from the fountain in CBD) I finally paid a visit. The Naked Espresso Bar does coffee. There's a fridge with drinks but near as I can tell, no food.

Jesse used to manage t'Hooft, one of the better coffee places in town - the other was The Old green Bean - and h's got a Slayer 3 group machine & has a Costa Rica bean for black/macch's and Velvet Assassin for milks. I walked in and mentioned I'd been past a few times and just wanted to see if it lived up to the name - peered around the machine and saw 3 x naked PF's - he laughed and mentioned it was good not to get comments about clothing.

He uses VST baskets - from what I saw 22g's but used a weighed 18g of grind for a double. That leaves almost 1cm from the top in the VST's.

So, long strong macchiato - he watches his nakeds on the pre-infusion setting until he judges it right time and then flicks to pour - thick honey ensues. Because I asked for long and strong he did it twice. Uses the same double wall glasses I got for Xmas - a great innovation for delicate fingers although mine got inured to hot glass a long time back.

Not a trace of bitterness nor sourness and a crema per double shot of over 1cm. I asked for sugar but tasted it first - didn't need the sugar. I can't recall the last time a café coffee didn't need sugar, particularly that strong. A truly delightful coffee and I recommend the place to anyone - I'd reckon it's worth a drive up from Melbourne.

So I had to do it... I asked for a strong latté and got the best latté I can recall having. Those who have seen my posts know I don't like the plastic milk - this was so well made I didn't need sugar to cover the milk taste. Rich and flavour was across the range palate-wise. After taste was sweet without the cloy.

I made sure I got a loyalty card - for the first time since I started getting decent coffee at home I can justify paying someone else to make it. While t'Hooft was one of the best, The NEB is clearly the best I have tried and I've been to quite a few based on recommendations from friends about 'the best coffee' in town.

Come see Bendigo - plenty for the family to see so you can use that as an excuse as you 'stumble across' The Naked Espresso bar. Tell Jesse that Mark from Coffeesnobs sent you.

Just thought I would add to this. I've been back since... coffee just as good, but Jesse should pick up all the decaf drinkers in the area - he grinds decaf beans on the spot. Decaf drinkers (like me missus) get a raw deal - most cafés decide the $30 - $40 per kg for decaf beans is too much for caffeine-intolerant people so they buy pre-ground and store it till the decaf types have the temerity to dare to ask for decaf - so those poor folks get an undrinkable and sour imitation of a coffee that leads them to not finish their cup AND to never dare to ask for one again.

Get Naked espresso Bar has a grinder under the counter expressly ( should that be 'espressly'? ) for decaf...

Well done GetNEB!

Comment

Got to agree with this post; we've heard about NEB too from a friend drinking espresso swearing it was the best pull he had ever tasted and we were not disappointed; this small cafe just doing coffee quietly and nothing else has become our only out of home for coffee travel destination.

Comment

Cheers Michael - say hello to Jesse when you're in and tell him you're a CS'er... He also does fresh ground decaf and a superb hot choc... Great place...

Comment

Working...
        X