Messina gelato, Smith St - lever machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messina gelato, Smith St - lever machine

This is the hot new gelato place on Smith St, absolutely crazy queues at the moment in the evenings. Anyway, they have a 3 group Vittoria Arduino lever machine.

I didn't get to try it as the queue was too long - it seems a little silly to put a lever machine in a food retailer with the longest queue in Melbourne (100+ the other evening), but I'm sure the queues will settle down when the weather turns cold.

I'm only pointing out the presence of the lever rather than recommending it...

Since when do people queue for food?
    Seems to be a new phenomenon that's happening a lot lately. Due to facebook/twitter maybe, plus all the cooking shows putting the emphasis on quality food?

Call me old & crabby but I have better things to do with my life than queue 100m for the latest trendy food item.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteStyle3 View Post
      Since when do people queue for food?
      Call me old & crabby but I have better things to do with my life than queue 100m for the latest trendy food item.
      They may well be serving nirvana in a cup, I'm never going to find out, I simply refuse to queue for food or drinks.

As for them that do, gullible trendy's!

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
        They may well be serving nirvana in a cup, I'm never going to find out, I simply refuse to queue for food or drinks.

As for them that do, gullible trendy's!
        Me too, that's why I didn't get to try it. If the food is truly exceptional then I'll queue, but if it's just the latest in-place, well life's too short for that when there are a thousand other places in Melbourne serving great food.

Comment

I'm quite happy to queue for exceptional food, and Messina gelato certainly qualifies. I wish I could say I refuse to queue - but anyone who does clearly has the luxury of having someone else do their shopping!

Comment

We visited Melbourne a couple of years ago, our hosts decided a visit to a trendy (favorite restaurant) was in order, ha, spent a bloody cold hour out on the footpath milling around with other hopefuls waiting for a table to become available.

When we finally received the call, were ushered into a tiny crowded dining area where you were virtually rubbing shoulders with strangers.

The service was lousy, far too many diners for the couple of waiters on duty, the food was very ordinary and the bill was outrageous, a thoroughly unpleasant experience, when we left the queue of hopefuls waiting on the footpath had not diminished, never again.

Comment

Originally posted by habahabanero View Post
              I'm quite happy to queue for exceptional food, and Messina gelato certainly qualifies. I wish I could say I refuse to queue - but anyone who does clearly has the luxury of having someone else do their shopping!
              I WON'T queue for food, obviously there are necessary situations in life when queuing is unavoidable, food and coffee ain't one of em.

Comment

This made me laugh... In Launceston, a Cold Rock just opened up. Packed inside and a dozen out the door (hey, it's Launceston) every night I've seen it. The heck?

Comment

I don't make a habit of queuing for restaurants, but a cafe without at least a modest queue for a takeaway coffee at 8.30am usually tells me something about the quality of what is being served. I'll trade the 2-5 minutes for a better coffee.

Comment

A couple of months ago I tried Messina for the first time. Queued for about 15 minutes (the line moved faster than I would have expected) and the experience was excellent. I rarely queue for anything...

Comment

I feel like I've accidentally walked into the set of Grumpy Old Men L0L!

I've been to Messina once - about on-par with my local (traditional, Italian) gelato bar but obviously very different flavours. Definitely worth the short wait. I might order an espresso next time I'm there while they're getting hammered just out of badness

Comment

Working...
                      X