The dandenongs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dandenongs

There are many places to get a coffee in the Dandendongs, and although I am a local and have tried many of them over the years, I also tend to stick to what I like and will therefore refrain from criticizing the majority of cafes for serving awful coffee as my opinion would be based on the experience of a long time ago.

But...

If you are on a Sunday drive, the place I can recommend well and truly above anywhere else is....
    Little Elixar, in among the Mt. D. Shops. (opposite the Mt D pub).

Very friendly, obliging and expert barista and staff;range of brewing methods (Beautiful cold drip on the rocks!); and lovely fruity espresso.

Its a real breath of fresh air to have a place that really cares about coffee up here.

I really wanted to recommend this place, but while I'm up here, my Mt D silver goes to (oh, God, here goes) cafe Beaumarchais (sp?? There I tried) which is in Sassafras three doors down from my old regular haunt.

Mt. D. Bronze probably goes to Cloudehill. Don't know it so well though owing to sticking to what I like.

Down the mountain in Ferntree Gully is another good cafe/ roastery called the Chosen Bean, which has been mentioned in another thread, I noticed.

Interested in the thoughts of others on the Mt D coffee experience. Seems to me that there are many people coming up here for coffee, but not a heap of places that sell the good stuff.

Little Elixir, sorry.

Comment

Me and my wife went to Little Elixir yesterday and the coffees we had were really good. We were very happy with their service. I had the V60 pourover and the wife had a latte. I loved how sweet and clean my coffee was. I tried a sip of my wife's latte and found it was very sweet and loads of caramel. A relaxing place to drive to and enjoy a fantistic cup of coffee. Shortblackman you are right, I highly recommand it to everyone

Comment

The secret's out. They are getting busier by the week. Us locals are very lucky to have Little Eixir nearby.

re the pourover: Had my first non- short black (in about 10 years) there a month ago. Beautiful floral flavour. Geisha.

Also...
        Amanda's, if you're in Yarra Junction, is a decent coffee... but I am personally "going cool" on dark roasts. Others might like.
        Last edited by shortblackman; 9 June 2014, 08:30 PM. Reason: a'postrophe removal

Comment

After reading the reviews for Little Elixir I was keen to check it out, but they have closed down. That's a shame - what I read about them sounded fantastic. I can't imagine anywhere else in the Dandenongs that would serve a pourover. Had a look at the Cafe de Beaumarchais website and they look ok, but probably more focused on pastries than coffee. I've tried Chosen Bean - they were quite good, with a range of coffees on offer (roasted on site).

There is a string of cafes in the main street of Belgrave and although many of them make a reasonable coffee, I haven't found any that I would regard as standouts.

Anyone else have any gems in the Dandenongs?

Comment

The closest thing to Little Elixir in coffee quality - & they do a chemex - is the storehouse in mt Evelyn. So you have to go off the tourist road for that, but its pretty good.

If you can handle the crowds ( on weekends for example) and the general atmosphere, you can get a good cup at the piggery aka burnham beeches.

With the closing of little elixir - the birthplace of my own personal snobbery - I am afraid to say that the Dandenongs has slipped back into a being a place where it's easy to get coffee, but difficult to get a good one.

down the hill in Boronia is Forage: industry beans. Definitely give that a go. Had one or 2 there. I thought it was fine - better coffee than the storehouse in my opinion- 1 grinder only at this stage, but wanting to do pourover in the future I understand.

Belgrave have a string of places as you say, I've tried a few some drinkable, some not,. Haven't tried them all, but I'm yet to find a winner there.

then there's my joint, in Kalorama.

Comment

Off the mountain again in lilydale. Yellow bird can't sing. ( That's the name of the place, not another of my keyboard slips ).

thats a winner. He does filter & cold drip . Uses Chum Creek coffee. Beautiful faema e61 original.
              He means business! Go there

Comment

+1 Round Bird Can't Fly.......

Comment

Yellow Bird Can't Sing? Round Bird Can't Fly? Are these one and the same?

Comment

Oh god. I'm in for a barrage here! It is round bird can't sing!

yeah yeah... I was thinking of big bird at the time.

Comment

I thought we were discussing Beatles songs off 'Revolver'

Comment

Round Bird Can't Fly. Google it. Facebook it. Apparently it's named after a children's book.

Not a keyboard slip SBM.... ya musta fell off ya chair! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by shortblackman View Post
                          Oh god. I'm in for a barrage here! It is round bird can't sing!

yeah yeah... I was thinking of big bird at the time.
                          https://youtu.be/15Oz4k6jwQI

Sesame Street's great hit "Big Bird Can't Fly"

Comment

And Elf, a Unicorn and now Big Bird as well. It's been quite the week SBM

Comment

And I've not even hit the tropics yet!

Comment

Working...
                              X