Hume Hwy, anywhere good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hume Hwy, anywhere good?

I'm heading from Melb to Sydney for Xmas, anywhere worth coming off the Hume for coffee along the way, particularly the Vic stretch, or the start of the NSW section for lunch?

The Proprietor is worth a look in Albury, it's a new Padre account and the fitout would not look out of place in fitzroy, complete with Slayer.

That and the Long Track Pantry in Jugiong are my stops.

Comment

Hume Hwy, anywhere good?

Originally posted by coffee_machinist View Post
      The Proprietor is worth a look in Albury, it's a new Padre account and the fitout would not look out of place in fitzroy, complete with Slayer.
      Holy cow Batman, padre beans through a slayer just off the Hume - you've suddenly made me think very differently about a long drive!

Comment

Don't set your hopes too high, Albury is still a country town with country town tastes.

I suspect the slayer is there to make an impression rather than improve their barista's output, so while coffee was more than acceptable it was not what I'd expect from a padre account in town.

The lunch menu however was bloody brilliant!

Comment

+1 for the Long Track in Jugiong, except on Tuesdays when they're closed.

Comment

Hume Hwy, anywhere good?

Originally posted by gunda View Post
            +1 for the Long Track in Jugiong, except on Tuesdays when they're closed.
            Damn, I'm driving on Tuesday. Thanks for saving me the wasted turn off.

Comment

Don't set your hopes too high, Albury is still a country town with country town tastes.

I suspect the slayer is there to make an impression rather than improve their barista's output, so while coffee was more than acceptable it was not what I'd expect from a padre account in town.

Don't worry, my expectations aren't high outside of cities, but that makes it all the more pleasing when you do find the odd nugget out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathon View Post
                Don't worry, my expectations aren't high outside of cities, but that makes it all the more pleasing when you do find the odd nugget out there.
                Ummm..... that'd be a 'gold' nugget, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathon View Post
                  Damn, I'm driving on Tuesday. Thanks for saving me the wasted turn off.
                  Yes, I was shattered, as my tongue was hanging out. According to the website they are open a few Tuesdays around Christmas and new year, so you may be in luck, but I suspect that if you're travelling tomorrow then you're out of luck.

Comment

I heard through the grapevine that Marinus (founder of said roaster) is moving up to Byron Bay, so perhaps the coffee scene there is up for a shake up. (Still got the problem of finding staff though)

Comment

Unsurprisingly, your description was spot on. Excellent food, much better than I expected and wouldn't be out of place on Smith St Fitzroy. The coffee was also better than you'd expect from a cafe in Albury, but not perhaps as good as you'd expect from the Slayer/Robur/Padre combination.

Definitely worth the turn off the Hume, I'm already looking forward to returning there on my way home next week.

Comment

Suspect it largely depends on who's behind the group at the Proprietor - I've had some excellent stuff as well as merely passable.

Was going to suggest Streetbean, but looking at their facebook page it seems they've closed.

Comment

Working...
                        X