X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BeanBay Green Bean Release September/October

Landed, packed and available in BeanBay now:

Ethiopia Ardi Late Pick

Ethiopia Sidamo Ardi is on of my favourite Ethiopian coffees and the one that helped us win the Golden Bean roasting competition for the second time. This is the same Ardi but intentionally left on the trees longer to produce an even more explosive flavour profile. Their theory is that the sweetest point of sugars in the fruit is when it's slightly overripe and starting to naturally ferment. Leaving harvest a little longer than normal has exaggerated port florals, fruit and sweetness into an even more amazing coffee in the lighter roast depth.
    Limited production volume this year but hopefully they'll do it again next crop too.

Ethiopian Gambella Sundried

Ethiopian Gambella Sundried - Amazing coffee that we often called "poor man's Yemen". Very similar in style to the dry processed Yemeni beans the Gambella is full of sweet ripe fruit flavours like sultanas and red berries it has some earthy spice aromas and off the group handle you will see a syrup like pour. Huge body, bold and wild coffee that shows just how wonderful old growth heirloom coffee can be and proves that ugly coffees can cup really well.

Ethiopia Shakisso Estate

Ethiopia Shakisso Estate / Farm produces an amazing bean that is the essence of uniquely great Ethiopian coffee. Grown wild and foraged in the Shakisso Estate which is actually a natural growing area under a tree canopy not the typical "rows of planted trees" you would normally associate with an estate. This heirloom varietal is part Typica, part Geisha and unique to Shakisso which becomes more obvious when you see the very long, thin bean dimensions. This was the secret bean in the 2019 Home Roaster competition and I'm sure everyone found that they could produce flavours from a bright fresh lime citrus through to deep dark cocoa flavours depending on the profile used. Stunning coffee at a fraction of the price of Central American Geishas.

Kenya Lena AA

Kenya Lena AA - we just landed this year's crop and it's a ripper. Well processed and graded to AA this is a Kenyan that reminds me of what we used to get years ago.
    Easy to roast and works through a range of roast depths. In the lighter roasts it's bright, green apple crisp and winey. Roast it some more and it becomes a dark cocoa bomb. Blend the two different roasts for a great single origin blend!

Laos Bolaven Plateau A

Laos is an origin we don't see a lot of. Originally planted by the French 100 years ago, most of the coffee produced gets sold to neighbour Vietnam and very little gets exported. This Bolaven Plateau A grade is an easy bean to roast and produces a nutty, mid bodied espresso with a dark cocoa finish in the darker roasts.
    Great value at this price and hopefully their specialty coffee kicks off more export business for the emerging market in the future.

...the required fine print...
    With the exception of the more expensive 1kg lots and the bulky 2kg Monsoon coffee, all BeanBay green beans are packed in 2.5kg zippered cotton bags, perfect for storage for up to 3 years when kept in a cool, dark and dry position. We ship all paid orders out from the Snobbery and BeanBay will calculate the available shipping options and actual freight costs to your area. Larger orders are typically cheaper to freight per kilogram so we suggest ordering all your requirements at once for the cheapest per kilo postage. We also strongly recommend that you ship to an attended address (eg: work, grandma's house, the pub) to avoid delivery delays and hassle. We ship everything the same day that we have received payment. Please remember bank lag means it can a day or two for your payment to get to us even though your bank took it from you instantly.

Osko bank payments are near instant and fee-free, PayPal payments and Credit Card via PayPal are near instant and you pay their actual fees.

Typically, if you want it faster don't procrastinate, just order earlier for less stress and never have a reason to ask us "are we there yet?"

Click the +SUBSCRIBE button (top right of BeanBay Banter) to get email or forum notification of new posts in this area.
    Also see: BeanBay Green Bean sales It covers most of the likely questions.

Enjoy!

Andy.

Thanks Andy!

I was trying to convince myself not to order anything for a while, but I will have to order something very soon. Only 10kg left in the stash!

Comment

Hi Andy , thanks for the update, if I were not already loaded up I would have jumped at the Kenya.

What would the easiest way be to learn more about the beans, I'd be interested in things like growing altitude, varietals, processing and even a bit more about farmers and their farms. Might be a well kept secret for a reason I'm not aware of.
      Last edited by yochiya; 3 September 2021, 01:46 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

• Andy
        Andy commented
        Editing a comment
        Google? If you want marketing fluff you are in the wrong place, I'm shocked at some of the rubbish I see written on other sites around the world with most of it fictitious or plagiarised. For $300/hr min 4 hours I'll happily tell you a story but you are far better off learning to roast the bean in front of you without preconceived ideas of what it's history was. I don't land anything I wouldn't drink myself and I'll leave the "picked by neked vigins" descriptors to others.

• flynnaus
        flynnaus commented
        Editing a comment
        What Andy said.

Here's what Google provided but not sure it will help. Those 'nekid virgins' on the other hand ... never seen them offered in Beanbay before

BEAN DETAILS

Origin KENYA
        Region Kenyan Highlands
        Producer Selected small holder growers and wet mills
        Packing 60kg GrainPro
        Harvest September to December

Score 80
        Type Arabica
        Varietals Local varieties inc. SL28, SL34, Ruiru 11
        Processing Fully washed
        Altitude 1500 - 1950 MASL
        Prep Fully washed, sundried and specially graded

• yochiya
        yochiya commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks flynnaus Andy, definitely not interested in marketing fluff and truth be told did not know this was a big thing.

To confirm, I completely trust Beanbay and the quality has so far consistently spoken for itself. Im merely interested in knowing more about the beans in order to understand the impact of these variables on roasting and tasting.

Happy to continue googling around, just thought i'd see if there is a more official answer.

Originally posted by Whorl View Post
      Thanks Andy!

I was trying to convince myself not to order anything for a while, but I will have to order something very soon. Only 10kg left in the stash!
      You start home roasting in a popper and think 500g is a lot of beans and 2.5kg is more than you could ever need then that turns into "only 10kg left" and "only 50kg left" and at some point after that you look at 30,000kg of beans in the Snobbery and wonder if you'll make it through to the next crop okay.

It's a crazy ride.

Comment

• fatboy_1999
        fatboy_1999 commented
        Editing a comment
        Remember when we weren't sure we'd get enough takers for a full bag?

Originally posted by Andy View Post
      Google? If you want marketing fluff you are in the wrong place, I'm shocked at some of the rubbish I see written on other sites around the world with most of it fictitious or plagiarised. For $300/hr min 4 hours I'll happily tell you a story but you are far better off learning to roast the bean in front of you without preconceived ideas of what it's history was. I don't land anything I wouldn't drink myself and I'll leave the "picked by neked vigins" descriptors to others.
      Wine label writers are masters of this, reckon they're from another planet, and for some reason the punters seem to lap it up.

Comment

• yochiya
        yochiya commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats right, nothing sells like a good story, more so to the uneducated.

There are some useful information to be shared though...

• Lyrebird
        Lyrebird commented
        Editing a comment
        Most of us hate writing back labels but the market demands them.

I have a colleague who once did a back label that started in 10 point type and reduced by a point each line until it was totally unreadable.

When I have to write a back label I sit down with a full bottle of the wine in question and tell myself the label has to be finished before the wine is. I write much better in the second half of the bottle.

Can we get back to the neked vigin's please

(edit Andy - fixed the spelling above so google doesn't hate us)

Comment

• Barry O'Speedwagon
        Barry O'Speedwagon commented
        Editing a comment
        Hmmm. Their 'please' . Quite a euphimism.

As Andy has already said Yochy, time to jump onto Google, there's a wealth of information out there just waiting for you, here's a start https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee...ction_in_Kenya
      Now, away you go.?

Comment

Seeing the list makes me feel better about having just roasting some Shakisso that I had been holding onto - will fingers crossed order & get more before it sells out & after your comments on the Costa Rica/my roasting technique trying to slow down my roasting.

and I can relate to quantities - until this year, I’ve only bought 5kg at a time - your having the Yemen varieties has made me double that - but then I’m also wanting to go beyond my staples of Colombian & Gambella (so I’m also ordering more frequently) & now the one from Laos sounds interesting. First world problems I think they call it - meanwhile - thank you Andy.

Comment

Hi Andy,
          Just put in my latest order and noticed that the 'Ethiopia Ardi Late Pick' and the 'Kenya Lena" are shown as attracting GST while none of the other 4 varieties ordered are shown as attracting GST.
          Can't say I've ever noticed this before with previous orders. I'm a bit mistified and wondered if you could explain.
          Cheers.

Comment

UURRGGHHH... USER ERROR (me) Fixed now.

When I put these into BeanBay last week I had the wrong tax category set for the Ardi, Kenya and Laos.

Makes no difference to you as the items with GST are "tax included" prices in BeanBay and cost you the same either way but ouch, looks like I gave the Australian Tax Department a whole lot of GST this week for no reason. I'll have to see if I can fix that in BeanBay easily.

Coffee (green or brown), tea and cocoa are GST free until they are wet.

Thanks for the heads-up grimsby

Comment

• Andy
              Andy commented
              Editing a comment
              Just an update to this...
              geekrocket wrote some clever SQL to fix it in BeanBay on the weekend and it worked a treat, I emailed everyone that had the crook invoices and the invoices in BeanBay "My Previous Orders" are correct now.

Bad luck ATO, you don't get extra this month!
          Working...
          X