Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOR SALE 1kg Electric Roaster

Hi,

This is a commercial roaster designed to produce batch after batch, hour after hour, day after day. It has no fancy computer controls, or gadgets. It will sit well in a shop, or café, or as a small production roaster for a mobile coffee cart or small coffee roasting business. Because of the price and compact size this will also appeal to home roasters who want a roaster that they can produce a high-quality roast and be able to supply to friends and retail outlets.

It sells for $6,300 new.

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/bella...g-roaster.html

I'm looking to sell for $3,900.

Pick up in Adelaide - it will fit in the back of a car. I'd consider sending it interstate but would need to add the cost of a crate and freight which would not be a trivial expense for an item like this.

I also have a commercial heavy-duty steel table on casters that it sits on and will sell that for $100.

I've made 2 modifications to the roaster:

First, I had an electrician replace the standard power cord with a longer one (it's a 3-phase roaster so you can't use a standard extension cord). One of the photos shows this long orange cord. If you don't have an existing 3-phase power outlet you will need to get an electrician to install one. Don't be put off by needing a 3 phase outlet, it's not expensive.

Second, I added a PID so I could track and log roasts on Artisan (free) https://artisan-scope.org/about/.

The roaster uses a single fan for the cooling tray and for airflow through the drum. I have had issues with some natural coffees throwing off too much chaff for the fan to handle when doing back-to-back roasts. That's meant chaff staying in the drum too long. You can get around this by either reducing batch size or waiting for the beans to cool before loading the roaster again (so all the fans' power is being used for airflow through the drum). Or you can do what I did and just roast washed coffees. You could install a second fan to pull directly from the cooling tray if you wanted (there's a cleaning hatch and you'd attach it there).

The UK company who developed this version of the Dalian claims it can roast 20% overcapacity, but I've found that 1.2 kg roasts too slowly unless it's a warm summer day. On very cold nights (~5 C) I'd drop back to 900 gram roasts.

Because it was my first commercial roaster I liked that it was electric - there was less to screw up, no installation certification, no chance of blowing myself up or suffering carbon monoxide poisoning. Obviously, anything bigger than 1kg and you need to go gas, but at 1kg, electric worked well for me.

Yes, it's electric. No, it's not plug and play like a Behmor. You need to actively roast, and accept that it's going to take some learning to get great results. Which is why logging with Artisan (or Cropster) is so important.

If you did decide to buy this for home use, remember that it takes nearly 20 min to warm up fully and the 1st batch is always 1 min slower than the rest (for the same settings). You can't simply switch it off and walk away; it needs to run for 15 minutes or so, before you can turn the power off, to give the drum a chance to cool down.

There are extensive notes and specifications here:

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/pdf/D...0Closer%20Look

While tidying up I found about 10kg of old mystery green beans which I'll throw in for your practice roasts!

I'm selling this because I'm now roasting on a 5kg.

This is the roaster I started my small roasting business with. I sweated over the decision to go from home roaster to commercial roaster for years. Right from the first time I put green beans into a $15 popcorn popper I wanted to go into business as a roaster. If that sounds like you, then consider a roaster like this. It's a stepping stone into the industry. Low cost, low risk, but big enough to get started, and it's a drum roaster so what you learn roasting on it will transfer over to a bigger roaster when the time comes.

I think $3,900 is a bargain and will be sad to see it go, but my wife is keen to get it out of the house.

Cheers
    Nick

P.S. I not only have the CE and ROHS certificates from the factory, but the actual reports as well. I'm pretty paranoid about not buying dodgy gear - something that comes from working in manufacturing!

If you don't have an existing 3-phase power outlet you will need to get an electrician to install one. Don't be put off by needing a 3 phase outlet, it's not expensive.
    According to the manufacturer's label and the plug-tops you can see in the photos, it is a 220/240V, 10A roaster??

Mal.

Comment

Interesting. I'm also seeing 10A 220/240 single phase.

1kg for 2100W (less whatever is required for the ancillary electricals) 1800W element?

What's roast duration? I'm guessing it would be maxed out at 1kg when it is doable?

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
        According to the manufacturer's label and the plug-tops you can see in the photos, it is a 220/240V, 10A roaster??

Mal.
        My mistake, I'll correct the ad. For some reason I have always had 3 phase in my mind - it has a 20 amp plug. I've taken closer photos of the plug for clarification. Note that this plug doesn't fit into a standard wall outlet - you will still need an electrician to install a 20 amp socket.

Comment

• Dimal
          Dimal commented
          Editing a comment
          No worries mate...
          Still only requires a 10A circuit so a standard 10A plug-top and 10A GPO is all that's needed.

Originally posted by Caffeinator View Post

What's roast duration? I'm guessing it would be maxed out at 1kg when it is doable?
        On a normal (say, 20 degree) day it roasts 1kg in about 12.5 min. On a +30 degree day you can increase charge (but probably only 10%). On a cold night (say, 5 degrees) you need to pull it back to 900g. That's based on the green going in at whatever temperature the climate is. That's also roasting expresso - pulling up just short of second crack.

Comment

Originally posted by NickC View Post

I'll correct the ad.
          Not sure how to edit the original post - doesn't seem to be an edit button, I may be blind.

Comment

I was going to also add the a coffee-tech 2kg solar is a 20amp plug but still single Phase so was surprised when you said 3 phase.
            Either way good luck with the machine, nice one. Id love to buy it but must resist!!

Regards,

Chris

Comment

Working...
            X