[SYD] BBQ drum roaster 900g capacity with drive motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOR SALE [SYD] BBQ drum roaster 900g capacity with drive motor

I have an old BBQ drum roaster that I've put many hundreds of kilos through over the years, but haven't used in quite a few years, so I think it's time to move it on.

The BBQ drum coffee roaster is 250mm long and 140mm diameter, made from stainless steel. Will roast close to 1kg of green coffee per batch (see comment below). Comes on an old BBQ rotisserie rod, and if I remember, the side plates the rod spins in. Also comes with a 12v windscreen wiper motor and my patent pending drive coupling; this setup is suitable for driving the drum at an appropriate speed for roasting, and is all currently mounted in a quick and easy frame that allowed me to hold the motor and drum at the required height for my BBQ - may require finesse for yours.
    I'm based in Sutherland Shire in Sydney. It's bulky and not exactly light, so preference is for local pickup only, but I could potentially look at boxing it up and shipping it at your expense.

Asking price for the whole setup is $250, but make offers if you like - I can only say no. If you're nice I will throw in 1kg of green coffee from my current stock.

My typical roasting capacity was 850g but I've pushed it to 1kg occasionally, except on big coffees that expand quite a lot during roasting (Pacamara, Monsoooned Malabar) where I just like to give them more room and keep it around 750g.

OK, here's the price drop...

$200. Still negotiable. Much much much prefer it goes to someone who will use it rather than someone who is not that interested in coffee if I have to get rid of it some other way.

Comment

Interesting project. I wonder if someone could put a thermocouple in that rotating drum? Some sort of rotating contacts on the shaft? Sure there is a solution. Would make it a very interesting roaster.

I am not personally interested because I recently bought a Hottop.

I recently saw a BBQ at COSTCO with a sort of perforated rotating drum on top and thought if it could be used to roast coffee. Yours has pushed it to a new level.

Comment

• Dimal
        Dimal commented
        Editing a comment
        Some sort of rotating contacts on the shaft?
        No mate, any method that introduces additional joins or contacts of any kind into a t/couple circuit will render it totally useless. You could perhaps remove the centre section of the shaft (inside the drum), reinforce the residual shafts at each end and then drill an access hole through one of the remaining shaft sections and then insert a t/c probe/bead through that.

Hmm. I have a feeling we got our original drums at the same time
      Click image for larger version  Name:	drum on rod.jpg Views:	0 Size:	32.4 KB ID:	845771

I have since upgraded to an RK 4lb.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2kg drum.JPG Views:	0 Size:	24.9 KB ID:	845770
      Last edited by fatboy_1999; 6 days ago. Reason: Added pics

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy_1999 View Post
        Hmm. I have a feeling we got our original drums at the same time
        Well given that you and I (and one other) had them made as a group collectively, yep they are pretty similar
        I've upgraded too, but in different ways. The RK is one level of upgrade for sure, but I went in a different way (watch this space as there'll be another dedicated coffee BBQ up for sale soon). But even up to a few years ago I would roast upwards of 20kg in a day on the BBQ with this thing for family and friends, a couple of times a month - it was awesome.

As for options for thermocouples. Yes it'd be possible to create a drum that has a fixed point that a thermocouple could mount in and remain embedded in the bean mass, but it requires you to be intentional about it and have an internal frame that supports the cylinder (this drum uses the end cap to support the fins and the central pivot). There's two options you could do - a side mounted option, or a centre mounted option, and either way would work; you need a fixed point that is not connected to the rotating drum (a side wall, or a curved plate at the base) that is in close contact with the drum (which becomes a wear and friction point, and source of noise) that can then have a TC mounted in it. This is exactly what a traditional roaster does into it's faceplate. The challenge with any implementations in a BBQ sense is that the tolerances you can get with a home built stainless steel drum that is subject to repeated move cycles when you take it out to empty it and refill it, and then back in for roasting, is it's going to cause jams and/or escaping coffee unless you can engineer a real good fit. There certainly are slip-ring power or signal transfer options that other sensor applications but as Dimal points out you can't really do that with unprocessed TC signals due to the very small signals generated by the TC. Even FB's RK drum doesn't have a TC measurement option and I haven't seen them do one - and they have been developing their BBQ roasting drums for a long time....
        Last edited by poundy; 5 days ago.

Comment

Mal Thanks for pointing that out. Poundy, I hope someone with an inventive mind takes it off your hand and works out how to develop it further.

Comment

Still happy to negotiate price on this and I'd much prefer it gone to a home who wants to upgrade from a popper or similar to be able to roast larger batch sizes, rather than sit in my shed...

All this talk of TC probes had me thinking... I'm not going to do this but can see a relatively simple way to deal with adding a probe. Taking the assembly apart is a relatively simple task, just drill out the rivets on one end (I'd do the end away from the sliding door opening), then drill out the rivets for the internal fins. The fins would need to be notched (ground / cut out) along the outside face by the length the probe will insert into the bean mass to allow clearance. The end face will need to be reduced in diameter so it can still be reattached to the fins but allows for clearance for the probe. A new end plate (only needs to come up 2/3 height of drum) would then be attached to a hard point on the BBQ that has a hole drilled at the point the probe inserts in, and with a slot for the shaft to drop down in when installing the drum in the roaster, and the drum rotates against it to hold coffee in.

Comment

Working...
            X