This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have ceramic insulation

im after insulation for a 10 litre boiler- ceramic preferred- does anyone have spare or have a source?
    brett

Re: anyone have ceramic insulation

Heres the contact page for Durablanket Ss manufacturers Aussie site: http://www.unifrax.com.au/contacts.htm

Java "Looks like good stuff" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I too might be interested in obtaining some ceramic insulation to lag the boiler in my machine. At present, I have in the ready a section of "builders blanket" but as yet have not used it. Im not sure which material would be more suitable. Brett, can you let me know if you manage to find a supplier of this other material. If you would like to share a section, please let me know.
      Thanks,
      Paolo.

Comment

Heres another one TM.... http://www.consolidatedrefractories.com.au/index.htm,

Mal.

Comment

thanks all for your help
          hi paolo- try this:
          info@consolidatedrefractories.com.au
          as mal said
          also here is brads from this website response to my enquiry:

Thank you for your enquiry. We are pleased to sell a small quantity of
          ceramic fibre. We find this is generally about 1 metre x the width of
          610mm
          x 25mm thick. I have a roll which I can cut if you need some this
          thick. I
          also have ceramic fibre paper at 3mm thick if this is of assistance. We
          sell
          the paper at $30.00 per metre and the blanket will also be $30.00 per
          metre
          both + GST. We ship by Couriers Please for most items at $12.50 + GST
          or can
          post at post cost + $5.00.
          If you require this item you need to be aware it is s man made fibre
          and may
          become a dust if not handled correctly of sealed in your application. I
          hope
          this is of some assistance and look forward to hearing from you again
          shortly if we are able to help.
          Best Regards
          Brad Attard

hope this helps - im getting the 3mm paper- as discussed on coffeegeek- see details:
          http://www.infraredheaters.com/550-k.htm

all the best
          brett

Comment

Originally posted by telemaster link=1154778166/0#4 date=1154935247

hope this helps - im getting the 3mm paper- as discussed on coffeegeek- see details:
            http://www.infraredheaters.com/550-k.htm

all the best
            brett
            Why would paper be used in preference to the blanket?

Surely the 25mm blanket would provide better insulation - and I dont think it would be any harder to work with....

Im thinkng of insulating the boiler on my Cimbali and I could fit 25mm no problem.....

Comment

Hi JavaB,

It just comes down to how much Over-kill do you want to go with. The reality is that the 3mm (flexible) paper is more than adequate to insulate a water boiler... the 25mm blanket is just way more than really needed, theres no problem with using either though... what ever is the easiest for you to use will probably be the deciding factor.

Cheers,
              Mal.

Comment

Ive never heard of insulating the boiler!
                Would it be worth my while insulating Silvias boiler?
                What are the benefits?
                Thanks
                RH

Comment

Originally posted by rayzurhed link=1154778166/0#7 date=1154985971
                  Ive never heard of insulating the boiler!
                  Would it be worth my while insulating Silvias boiler?
                  What are the benefits?
                  Thanks
                  RH
                  Lower electrical bills and less heat put into your house.

Java "Doesnt like the heat" phile

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile link=1154778166/0#8 date=1154990036

Lower electrical bills and less heat put into your house.

Java "Doesnt like the heat" phile
                    Yep....

4KW heater means lots of dollars plus its walming up the kitchen nicely at the mom but when it gets to 38 deg over here in Perth...... :-[

I think Ill be getting complaints! >

Coffees are great by the way..... just got to get the wifes latte milk frothed just right....

I have a lot more steam power to master!

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1154778166/0#9 date=1154992333
                      4KW heater means lots of dollars plus its walming up the kitchen nicely at the mom but when it gets to 38 deg over here in Perth...... :-[

I think Ill be getting complaints! >
                      I love having the Cimbali running in the winter. It makes a great hand warmer when coming in from those -25C temps!

In the summer when the temps are sitting at 25-30C day in and day out with no cool-off at night with runs of 35-40C days its not such a nice thing to have running. Hence why I turn to CP during the summer months and eagerly look forward to powering up the Cimbali in the fall after the heat of summer has passed.

Even with the boiler insulated with the thick ceramic blanket so that minimal heat was being put into the room I would still turn it off in the summer and drink CP. Heat is the last thing I want to be putting into my body when its already so bloody hot. Iced CP is the drink for me in the summer!

I debated a long time with myself before deciding not to insulate the boiler. In my case Im actually saving money by not insulating the boiler. LOL :-? I can see all the eyebrows going up out there right about now with people going HUH?!? I can see an explanation is in order. ;D

For those who dont know I live in the north central US not too awfully far from the Canadian border. It gets bloody cold here in the winter, and stays that way for months. Our average temperature for the month of January is -17C with dips down to -30C or even colder expected as a matter of course. I live in a 2-story wood frame house with a full basement that is the standard design for housing in the region with a gravity hot water radiator furnace. Bedrooms are on the 2nd floor, kitchen, diningroom and livingroom are on the first floor, with a basement under it all. All of the exterior walls and the attic space has been fully insulated and new double pane argon filled windows have been installed all-around to reduce heat loss as much as possible during the winters.

What does all this have to do with leaving the boiler uninsulated saving me money you ask? Well Ill tell ya. I spend the vast majority of my time in the basement. The 2nd floor is used for nothing other than sleeping and roasting and Im only on the 1st floor for cooking and making my cuppa. I prefere a cool temp and I see no reason to waste energy by heating unoccupied spaces. As a result I keep the thermostat controlling the furnace set to 13C. This thermostat is located on the 1st floor in the diningroom on the other side of a wall, and right next to the doorway connecting the two, shared with the kitchen. The door to the 2nd floor is kept closed.

The Cimbali has a massive 12l boiler that pumps a huge amount of heat into the room. With the furnaces thermostat being on the same floor and next to the kitchen where the Cimbali is located this means that the furnace has to do very little work to maintain the set temp. With the 2nd floor and basement doors closed all this heat is trapped on the first floor and not shared with them. With the 1st floor at 13C the 2nd floor is at only 7C. Perfect sleeping weather curled up under an electric blanket! ;D

If the Cimbali wasnt there or is well insulated the furnace would be kicking on much more frequently to maintain the temp per the thermostat on the 1st floor. Due to the design of the heating system (gravity hot water radiators) more than half of the furnaces output goes to the 2nd floor. So while Im paying $25USD a month for electricity to run the Cimbali Im paying $75USD a month less for natural gas to heat the house. So while insulating the boiler would save me perhaps as much as $20USD a month in electricity Id be paying out 3 or 4 times that much for the additional heating gas that would be used.

All clear now? ;D :

Java "Hates the heat!" phile

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile link=1154778166/0#10 date=1155008736
                        I love having the Cimbali running in the winter. It makes a great hand warmer when coming in from those -25C temps!

In the summer when the temps are sitting at 25-30C day in and day out with no cool-off at night with runs of 35-40C days its not such a nice thing to have running. Hence why I turn to CP during the summer months and eagerly look forward to powering up the Cimbali in the fall after the heat of summer has passed.

Java "Hates the heat!" phile
                        Now that is what I call temperature extreames!!!

We had a week of days at around 45C a few years ago but normally dont get above 38C or below 0C.....

We Australians are a wierd bunch- we still like hot coffee when the temps are in the 30-40C range.... So Ill be keeping mine running - just got to minimize the heat escaping into the room.

After all, who - other than Australians - would have a full roast Christmas lunch when the outside temp is near 40C ;D

But that is S..L..O..W..L..Y changing as more are going to cold meat and salad....

I still want my hot coffee on Christmas day regardless! :P

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1154778166/0#11 date=1155010983
                          Now that is what I call temperature extreames!!!
                          Yeah, few people who dont live here realize just how extreme the temperatures are here over the course of a year. I recall reading somewhere that we have a temperature range of 174F (97C) between our record high and low. A bit extreme indeed!

Were smack in the middle of the continent and as a result dont have the temperature moderating effect of the oceans. Minnesota is also the northen most point in the lower 48. Most people think its the northeastern tip of the country but the northern most point in the continental US is the little bump of Minnesota (Lake of the Woods) that sticks up into Canada on the northern border of the state.

People always think Alaska when they think of cold but were significantly colder than the cities in Alaska are in the winter as theyre all located on the coast and so their weather is heavily moderated by the ocean.

On a regular basis northern Minnesota (usually a small town named Embarrass) is the coldest spot in the country in the winter with temperatures of -50C and colder being recorded.

Our summers are little better as not only do we get the high temps, but the humidity levels match the temps with levels of 60-80%RH being common. Ugh!

Java "Why do I live here again?!?" phile

Comment

love the humour javaphile
                            brett

Comment

Originally posted by telemaster link=1154778166/0#13 date=1155017808
                              love the humour javaphile
                              brett
                              It keeps me sane in the middle of all this heat! ;D

Java "Of course that depends on who you ask!" phile

Comment

Working...
                              X