This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !! SOLD !! Solis SL90 for sale

Having occupied a fair space in the kitchen with my La Cimbali 2 group.... The wife has spoken and my Solis SL90 has to find a new home!

The machine is about 18 months old and produces excellent espresso (on par with a Silvia) and is a real wiz when it comes to milk texturing!

The Solis is Swiss made, with a marine brass boiler and solid brass group. No fancy milk frothing attachment – just a normal wand – with lots of steam (the heater element is turned back on when the steam tap is opened – and stays on whilst steaming)

Goes from brew to steam in about 20 seconds, steam back to brew in a couple of seconds. Electronic temp control to within a degree (tweaked to 92deg), volumetric dosing with 6 levels and either 1 cup or 2 (giving 12 different volumes) plus, of course, manual..

Been very happy with the unit and it has given me zero problems. Always been run on filtered water and regularly descaled (but probably didnt need it!)

Comes with original pressurised single, double and pod baskets as well as unpressurised single and double. The pressurised makes OK coffee (even from stale beans) so I only used them once or twice to try them, but the unpressurised makes brilliant espresso! Also included a tamper and scoop....

Asking price - $250 (My location is Perth, will pack for free and ship at buyers expense)

A couple of details which could be useful

Weight: 8.7 kg (plus allow a little for packing!)
    Size: 30cm H X 27cm W X 24cm D

Re: Solis SL90 for sale

Hey, How did you tweak your solis for 1 degree temp controling? I got a Solis sl-70

Comment

The Solis SL90 has computer control of dosing and of temperature (so it is adjustable).... Maintains the temp to within 1 deg as it comes- but the swiss like to brew at 88deg!

Unfortunately the SL70 doesnt have those smarts, only using mechanical thermostats for temp control..... so you would need to add an external PID

Comment

Wow!

$250.00..... Thats a very attractive price for someone after a good machine to start out with. Great offer JavaB,

Mal.

Comment

mystery is looking for a good deal.
          http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1155884257/6#0

Comment

This person didnt like it!  

http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/solis_sl-90/kirkegrd

Im still reading all the reviews.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by p38arover link=1155889385/0#5 date=1156016297
              But there are far more reviews on that site from people who did like it

This is a consumer grade coffee machine, unlike the prosumer machines some of the site sponsors sell..... These prosumer machines are truly magnificent machines with a far better build quality and higher cost

I very much doubt anyone would have problems or a bad word to say about these!

Just look at the sunbeam thread and you will get an idea of how many problems you can have with any consumer grade coffee machine

I personally think the solis build quality is better than most (did quite a bit of research before I bought it!) and I have had zero problems with it. Any brand (in this price bracket) can have the odd lemon.... thats why some people choose to pay a ****LOT**** more money and buy a machine which is a real work of art!

The current model of the La Cimbali which Im now using retails in Australia fo $9500..... And, although 18 years old, works beautifully and has zero problems....

Comment

Originally posted by p38arover link=1155889385/0#5 date=1156016297
                Yeah,

I think youve got to be careful singling out reviews that support a certain point of view. These machines have generally got a very good reputation for what they are, a consumer oriented espresso machine... nothing more , nothing less. For the money that one would have to pay for a new one, I think there are better options around for sure, but for what JavaB is asking for an 18 month old machine, it represents extremely good value IMO and certainly worthy of consideration for someone starting out on a limited budget.... Id have no hesitation in recommending it to my son if he had the money but he is a bit skint at the moment, otherwise it would be gone ;D,

Cheers,
                Mal.

Comment

Dont get me wrong. Im seriously considering this machine.

I note that Choice gave it quite a low rating and relatively poor in coffe making quality.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by p38arover link=1155889385/0#8 date=1156151086
                    Dont get me wrong. Im seriously considering this machine.

I note that Choice gave it quite a low rating and relatively poor in coffe making quality.

Ron
                    Choice have some "interesting" comments on various items (not just coffee machines) from time to time....

I can assure you that it makes espresso on par with a silvia (lots of real crema) as long as you use the non pressurised baskets....

If you use the normally supplied baskets- you will get lots of "crema" from pretty much any coffee- even real stale supermarket coffee.... But the taste - well its "OK?" - but I wouldnt use them!!!

The unpressurised baskets require the correct grind and tamp - just like the silvia - and then the quality of espresso is also just like the silvia Its a pity that Solis never supplied these - you must buy them "after market" but no problem to get if you ever need to replace them.

When it comes to milk texturing - I dont think there is another single boiler domestic machine which can touch it.... mainly due to the steam switch activating the heater.... you get lots of dry steam - and , with a bit of practise- lots of very fine microfoam...... Great for latte art!

By the way, when using non pressurised baskets you need a good grinder - one that will grind for the silvia---- I had to replace mine. hence the La Cimbali Jnr (which is fantastic)!

Supermarket ground coffee is just not good enough either- so if you are not prepared to grind your own, I wouldnt advise you to buy the Solis :

Comment

Still trying to get approval :-)

Would appear that I have yet to find the sweet spot of the $$$$$ Controller.

If I call it 9kg from what post code will it be coming from?

I have to try and confirm all up expenses and then place a certain part of my body up for bond, should there be any changes to the agreement, she will expect her 16oz of of flesh....... (After 19 years she should trust me).

Comment

Originally posted by AngerManagement link=1155889385/0#10 date=1156152606

If I call it 9kg from what post code will it be coming from?

I have to try and confirm all up expenses and then place a certain part of my body up for bond, should there be any changes to the agreement, she will expect her 16oz of of flesh....... (After 19 years she should trust me).
                        Hey, I ticked over 19 years as well (In April) so I know about the 1lb of flesh! (What do you think it took to get approval for the La Cimbali 2 group) - Im missing an arm and a leg! ;D

The Coffee Machine would be coming from 6054 (Bassendean - the home of Rolf Harris!)

And as I said in the PM - Bus Freight is also an option (and the goods sent that way are **VERY** well treated)

Good luck!

Comment

Does the solis make 2 decent cups or is it better to make double shots with the solis? by any chance you remeber the pour time from your solis?

Comment

Originally posted by Coffee Kid link=1155889385/0#12 date=1156154259
                            Does the solis make 2 decent cups or is it better to make double shots with the solis? by any chance you remeber the pour time from your solis?
                            Yep, always made two cups (well almost always!) as I had to keep the "other half" happy :

Pour time was whatever you wanted... I normally ran at 25 seconds using the double basket.... for about 1/3 crema.

But you could make it as short as you want (yuck!!) or up to 40 seconds or more (if you have a good grinder).

Comment

If its not already sold, Id like to buy it.

PM sent.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X