This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Special offer from Veneziano Caffe

As part of our new venture, "First Pour," Veneziano Caffe is extending a special coffeesnobs-only invitation to purchase David Makins signature home espresso machine, the Makin Espresso, at a greatly discounted price.

Before competing in the World Barista Championships this year, David and I stopped over at a number of fantastic espresso machine manufacturers who were willing to work with us to deliver machines made to our exacting specifications.  On the comercial side, we are now the proud owners of a custom yellow La Marzocco FB-80 and a fleet of custom-made BFC machines for our customers.  Not to be outdone, Dave visited Maver and so the "Makin Espresso" domestic machine was born.  Dave wanted a machine that would deliver the same results and reliability that we demand from our commercial machines, but with a small and beautiful form factor.  Dave was also keen that the machine should feel like using his favourite La Marzocco machines, so the Makin Espresso requires only a small cooling flush.

Some machine specifications:

-1.3L boiler
    -E-61 group and heat-exchanger
    -Large drip tray
    -WxDxH 29x41x43 cm
    -17kg
    -Angled portafilter
    - The machine comes with both a single and a double portafilter, single and double baskets and a blind filter
    - Hot water tap has a dispersion screen to minimise splashes
    - Water tank sits on a weight-sensitive platform to activate low water power cutoff
    - Resin filter
    - Lights indicate that water needs to be refilled (less invasive than beeping and much, much better than nothing!)  
    - Drip tray is huge!  (Combined with the tiny cooling flush, you wont need to empty it all that often.)
    - Pstat deadband seems to be about 0.1 or 0.15 bar (Ill double-check mine next time I use it, though)
    - Bodywork edges are folded in and the stainless seems to be of the same grade.
    -The rail goes around three of the four sides of the cup tray.  The whole tray lifts off.

If I missed anything that anyone wants to know, PM me and Ill add it.

The Makin Espresso is backed by our service department, which has maintained a fleet of commercial machines for years. We are, of course, able to provide any and all accessories, beans, grinders and training that you would like packaged with the machine.

If you would like to organise for a demonstration of this machine, please contact me by private message or email Luca on luca@venezianocoffee.com.au

Re: Special offer from Veneziano Caffe

Luca,

I have tried sending you an email on two occasions, but it has bounced each time!

(I should now be able to PM you).

Comment

Hi guys,

Ive had a few people asking me about price - Pete didnt post a price above, as hes keen that we work out a package deal to suit the needs of each person. For instance, if you wanted to buy a maver with a mazzer mini, you would save more than if you bought each of them separately.

Originally posted by mcb link=1161936248/0#1 date=1162303136
      I have tried sending you an email on two occasions, but it has bounced each time!
      Ive just come back from Veneziano; the tech guys have been playing around with everything cause they have been setting up the infrastructure in the new building. My email address should be working now, but the auto-forwarding to my personal address isnt online as of yet. In the meantime, people are best off continuing to PM me.

Has anybody noticed the pump pressure on that graphic? "Sorry captn, I canna hold er any longer....Shes gonna blow" Tongue Grin
      When youre photographing, 9 bar espresso doesnt look like 9 bar espresso. Youve got to use play-doh at 15 bar. Its like that simpsons episode about filming cows:

Martin Prince: (to a painter who is painting a horse with cow spots) Uh, sir, why dont you just use real cows?
      Painter: Cows dont look like cows on film. You got to use horses.
      Ralph Wiggum: What do you do if you want something that looks like a horse?
      Painter: Usually we just tape a bunch of cats together.
      Of course, the models being sold will be bench-tested and set up by our dedicated service department, rather than being air-freighted immediately to the photographers place! Either that, or well just tape a bunch of cats together ;P

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1161936248/0#2 date=1162351382
        "Sorry captn, I canna hold er any longer....Shes gonna blow" :P  ;D
        One of my all time favourite lines.
        ;D

Comment

Never mind the pressure, can anyone explain why the reflection of the spouts doesnt show the same coffee streams as the front?

It actually looks transposed and incomplete.
          The front view, left spout seems to be the reflected right spout and the reflected left spout has no coffee coming from it at all.

Get Mulder and Scully on this!

Comment

its called photoshopping to enahnce photos !!

Comment

looks like i need the text version since I cant spell enhance!

Comment

I thought you were just spelling it to match a snobby pronunciation.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy link=1161936248/0#5 date=1162427485
                  Never mind the pressure, can anyone explain why the reflection of the spouts doesnt show the same coffee streams as the front?

The front view, left spout seems to be the reflected right spout and the reflected left spout has no coffee coming from it at all.

I reckon its all to do with the speed of light. The reflected image takes a frag longer to reach the lens because of its longer path, hence your seeing an older image. And if we accept that the speed of light is...........mmmmmm. I wonder if Scottie can complete this for me!

Comment

Originally posted by cafeoholic link=1161936248/0#9 date=1162450174
                    Originally posted by fatboy link=1161936248/0#5 date=1162427485

I reckon its all to do with the speed of light. The reflected image takes a frag longer to reach the lens because of its longer path, hence your seeing an older image. And if we accept that the speed of light is...........mmmmmm. I wonder if Scottie can complete this for me!
                    Love it! ;D *looks VERY closely at every coffee pic in the library of things Ill ever post again....*

Comment

Originally posted by cafeoholic link=1161936248/0#9 date=1162450174
                      Nah; its the new functionality that can speed up or slow down the passage of time so that you get the right shot timing. Unfortunately, it doesnt work for the reflection ;P Either that, or maybe this was a prototype machine that has a glass front and two groups back-to-back!

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Noice, noice, very noice. Yes very effluent.

Any chance of a wider photo. Looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by luca link=1161936248/0#11 date=1162453200
                          Nah; its the new functionality that can speed up or slow down the passage of time so that you get the right shot timing.
                          The Professor must have sent you that device from New New York.

I wonder how many more TV shows we can reference in this thread?

Bite my shiny metal ass! ;D

Julio

Comment

Leela: "I know you like cooking shows, but youre a robot. You dont even have a sense of taste!"
                            Bender: "Honey, I wouldnt talk about taste if I was wearing a lime-green tank top."
                            Fry: "Bam!"

Comment

Better still, when Fry picked up the VW van and was explaining it to the professor:

Professor: Where is the device that lets you speed up or slow down the passage of time?

Fry: (reaches under seat and pulls out bong) Right here.

Comment

Working...
                              X