X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !!!SOLD!!!FS Single group Bo-Ema

Hi Gang,

Ive decided to keep my recently re-furbished automatic Carimali, so its time to sell my semi-auto Boema .

Some basic specs are:-
    - ~7L nickel plated boiler
    - I believe the element to be 2400W
    - Plumbed in water and drain with rotary vane pump (not surprisingly).

I bought it about twelve months ago in a bad state, and did the usual clean, dismantle, descale, refurbish before re-assembling. As you can see, I "pillowed" the scratched stainless steel fascia. I spent a lot of time on this machine, and learnt a fair bit in the process.

The anti-vacuum valve hisses a bit, the "element on" neon bezel cover is cracked, and the powder coat appears a bit faded in the photos (but doesnt appear that bad in real life), but its now a solid performer. The pump has been replaced within the last 6 months, and I recently replaced the steam wand including a new fantastic 4 hole tip.

I could rabbit on forever, but if anyone has any questions or comments, Im all ears.

Im asking $700. Does that sound reasonable? Local pickup only from Lilli Pilli in sydneys south (near Cronulla).

I also plan to list it at that unmentionable site............

Regards,
    Phil

Re: FS Single group Bo-Ema

Phil,

I would call that an excellent price.... an opportunity for someone to purchase a quality refurbished machine at a bargain price!!

Hope a CS member snaps it up quickly before it goes to that site!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1180237194/0#1 date=1180237631
      Hope a CS member snaps it up quickly before it goes to that site!!!
      Ha, That might be later rather than sooner! Id just spent a couple of hours composing an ad, saved the draft for listing later this evening, then when I went to do a bit more, my draft was gone. Blast! Its the first time Ive not done the whole thing as a Frontpage and saved it on my computer; lesson learnt. Maybe its a sign..............

Phil

Comment

to be honest, i think youd get a better price elsewhere...but that is just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes link=1180237194/0#3 date=1180238378
          to be honest, i think youd get a better price elsewhere...but that is just my opinion
          Without a doubt he could but Phil is doing the "good CS thing" and offering it to members first.  Im sure he knows too well that is about half the price he might get on evilbay.  

Its not all about how much you can get sometimes and quite often CSrs will buy/sell/swap things for way under "street price" happy in the knowledge that it going to a good home and the buyer will do the same in return when the next round of upgraditis sets in.

--- back on topic ---

Excellent price Phil, I would jump on it if I didnt already have a Boema, a Saeco and a Giotto (at home, work, The Snobbery in that order)

Tell me about the steam wand on yours, it would have to be better than the standard "turbo wand" and I guess a little slower (more controlled) too.

PS: is it just my eyes or do you have "little people" that live and play around your coffee machine?

Comment

Yeah I respect that and totally agree with you Andy...Whenever I decide to upgrade...I will sell off my Sunbeam for cheap on CS because I know Ill be helping out someone get in to coffee making...Im just making sure he knows what he should be getting.

Comment

Half the price?! Cancel the ad! Just kidding. I do think its cheaper than what it may go for "elsehwere", but not that much. I dont know that Bo-Emas get quite the premium that equivalent imports get...but they deserve to be on equal footing I believe.

The 4 hole steam tip is apparently a recently introduced part. That appalling turbo nozzle was worn to a nub anyway (see photo), and it had been suggested to me to get the new 4 hole rather than the 5 hole. I bought a new wand at the same time as the chrome was missing from the base of mine. Total was about $35(?). I think the nozzle by itself is less than 15 bucks. To say it makes a big difference is an understatement. I dont really have any skills with milk as I dont use it very often, but even I can manage a half decent effort now.

Speaking of "elsewhere" Andy, hows that nice Climax grinder going? Niice....

Regards,
              Phil

Comment

You are the third CSr to mention the "new" grinder.

Its in perfect condition outside, hardly used, no scratches and the funnel shows very little use but the last bloke must have had an urge to tinker with the adjustment nut on the front so that when its set to anything past middle grind settings the burr plates touch (at espresso settings the motor doesnt turn!)

So I expect that it will get a new set of burrs and a good adjustment and then should last forever.

Ill post some pics (in another thread) when I pull it to bits.

Boy, that turbo tip has seen some milk. The chrome coming off is fairly standard but Im surprised that the brass has been getting thinner. Maybe the last owner used steelwool on it every day?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1180237194/0#7 date=1180242661
                  the burr plates touch (at espresso settings the motor doesnt turn!)
                  I recently bought some burrs from Coffee Parts to put in a vintage grinder that had similar symptoms whern doing espresso grind...big difference!

Im not sure exactly what happened with that tip; it looks like some sort of erosion plus overzealous scouring.

I meant to mention in my previous message that I sourced the tip directly from Boema; heres a close-up...

Comment

Im busy busting open every piggy bank in the house right now - and looking for things to sell. . .

Comment

I asked my mistress of finance, and she didnt bat an eyelid only one comment, where would you put it...
                      *cringe*

Comment

Im sure it is a fine machine, but, damn its ugly.

Comment

Function over form where coffee is concerned!

Ok - i love the italian machines too.

Comment

Originally posted by scottc link=1180237194/0#11 date=1180255094
                            Im sure it is a fine machine, but, damn its ugly.
                            Ooh, thems fightin words...........!

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by grendel link=1180237194/0#9 date=1180244894
                              Im busy busting open every piggy bank in the house right now - and looking for things to sell. . .
                              dont sell your car yet, Grendel, youll need it to pick the Bo-Ema up in Cronulla....

L

Comment

Working...
                              X