This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !!SOLD!!: Silvia

Ive just acquired a shiny new Minore, thanks to the good people at Barazi so Im looking to offload my Silvia.

Includes a larger commercial style portafilter which I bought from coffeeparts, plus you can have the old one which I cut the bottom out of if you wish. Also comes with double and triple baskets, and I might be able to dig up the single, plus a rubber backflush disk. Note that the triple doesnt fit the original/bottomless pf though. You can also have the crappy plastic tamper that came with the minore to get you going.

This model doesnt have the adjustable OPV, but Ive fiddled it to run at about 9 bar with washers.

There is a little rust on the frame under the drip tray, not structural and you cant see it when the tray is in place, Ill attach a picture in another post. Also the steam wand could do with having its washer replaced (theres a guide on how to do this here: http://www.coffeeco.com.au/articles/repair.html), although it doesnt drip if you turn it off firmly.

Asking $450 and would vastly prefer collection from Chapel Hill in Brisbane, but could possibly be convinced to ship it.

Re: For Sale: Silvia

And heres a pic of the rust, completely invisible with the drip tray in, and Im guessing it would be easy to clean up with some killrust or something if it bothered you.

Comment

With a new Silvia at $800+ at RRP and usual CS price of $500+, this is a bargain CSers...

Grab it while its hot or miss out and

Comment

Could you give us some details about its age?

Comment

Originally posted by E-Gene link=1205222300/0#3 date=1205237360
          Could you give us some details about its age?
          My guesstimate looking at external badging and configuration would be maybe 5 years or so....which is no problem whatsoever in a well maintained machine. I think that this model has a an element which can be replaced easily as well- which is a bonus.

Chris

Chris

Comment

Sorry, I should have said, about 5 years as Chris says. It has the original boiler but can you actually still buy the elements if it were to fail anyway Chris? Or would you be stuck with buying an entire new-style boiler?

Comment

old school! dont suppose anyone is driving down to melbourne from brisbane any time soon? what is the adjustable OPV?

Comment

The Over Pressure Valve is a valve that limits the pressure that the vibe pump puts out. On early silvias this wasnt really adjustable and meant that when you pulled ristrettos the pump was operating at around 12 bar (depending on machine). You could adjust this by changing the thickness of a washer in the valve (which is what Ive done on my machine).

On newer silvias (and all the decent HXs that use the same ulka vibe pump) this valve can be adjusted with a screwdriver. As I understand it this was done to the silvia because the new silvias can use pods, and part of the pod spec says you have to put out 11 bar, but coffeesnob types use it to get a proper 9ish bar for their real espresso.

Comment

With all the items requiring replacement, are these things easy to replace yourself (note I am a newbie) or is there somewhere in Melbourne that could do the job?

Also, what is the likelihood of damage whilst in transit from Brisbane to Melbourne? Would you use a courier as opposed to standard mail? Whats the estimated postal cost?

Comment

JL08,

As I read it, its basically ready to go as is, but it wouldnt hurt to have the steam valve overhauled. Ive done this myself and its a straightforward job (did up a step by step guide but the link in the opening post is basically identical) and its a common thing that needs to be done on any compression-type valves (same reason household taps drip after a while and need their washers replacing). There are descriptions in the thread of bits and pieces inside it but I dont read any of those as actually being faulty.

Greg

Comment

JL08, Gregs right, the machine works just fine as is. If I was keeping it I would probably replace the washer in the steam valve, but Ive been telling myself that for months. The guide I linked to in the first post looks pretty simple, but I havent tried it obviously.

Having said that, Ive had a few offers of reasonably close to my asking price from people in Brisbane, so unless they fall through I wont be shipping this. Its still for sale at $450 for people able to pick it up until say, the end of the weekend. After that it will go to the first offer I got (Im not going to turn this in to a blind auction just to get 5 or 10 extra dollars).

If you want to offer less feel free to PM me, but know that there are people ahead of you.

Comment

I have a buyer for you... Ive PMed the details.

Comment

Thanks Sparky, hes just picked it up and hopefully gone home to drink too much coffee.

Thank you to those who showed some interest, the Silvia has been sold to a friend of Sparkys.

Comment

Re: !!SOLD!!: Silvia

Thats great to hear. Sam was on the lookout for a Sunbeam EM6910, but I told him this was too good to pass up.

Im sure Ill hear all about it next week...

Cheers,

Mark.

Comment

Working...
                            X