X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fair Crack Auction: Home Coffee Machine Review by Sean Edwards, Signed

Hi All,

With the last Fair Crack auction behind us, as Andy foreshadowed in this post, its time to move on to the next one ...

So last weekend a bunch of coffee industry people got together for the launch of Sean Edwards "Home Coffee Machine Review" book. Several years ago, Sean identified a hole in the market and launched the first version of this book. In the meantime, much to everyones amazement, it doesnt look like anyone else tried to have a go at writing anything similar anywhere around the world, so Sean is back, bigger, badder and better than ever with the second edition.

At the launch, I thought it would be fun to get some of of the various people in the book to sign it for this auction, which then spilled over into getting various other coffee people to sign it. The list of signatures includes:

*Sean Edwards, Author
    *Justin Metcalf, Daily Roast, WBC Judging Committee, Trans-tasman team coach, blah, blah, blah
    *Con Haralambopoulos, 7 Grams, Gridlock Coffee, World Latte Art Champion, etc
    *Andy Freeman, some internet coffee guy
    *Toshiyuki Ishiwata, St Ali
    *Eleonora Genovese, Genovese
    *Maria Paoli, Evolving Success
    *Kirby Berlin, The Maling Room, Australian Coffee In Good Spirits Champ
    *Andrew Lew, The Maling Room (whose signature could not be dragged out by wild horses until we told him it was for Fair Crack)
    *Indecipherable squiggles that presumably belong to people

So there you go. Totally unique. Various photos in Andys post

The rules:

You are bidding on: The aforementioned copy of Sean Edwards "Home Coffee Machine Review" 2nd Edition. Postage included within Australia.

Bid format: Post below.

Starting bid: $2.00.

Bid increments: Multiples of $1.00.

Bidding begins: NOW!

Bidding ends: Thursday 4 June, 8:30 pm Melbourne time.

Sudden death: At the time above, the auction will continue to extend as long as people continue to place a higher bid within half an hour of the previous valid high bid. (Hey, it did wonders for the Esmeralda auction!)

Claiming the prize: I will post to declare the winner. The winner is to PM me their postal address and purchase Fair Crack Direct donations from BeanBay to the value of their winning bid. Upon confirmation that Fair Crack has the cash, I will post the book to the winner.

Have at it!

Luca

Re: Fair Crack Auction: Home Coffee Machine Review by Sean Edwards, Signed

I bid $55.00

KK

Comment

mmm .. this is weird ... the last Auction, Tim Adams theme : and I had the Kyocera Grinder with me the same day that Tim came down to Di Bella in Brisbane to pick up some green cups. I was up there for the COE cupping as hosted by Anne Cooper. We had a grind session then

now this Auction:  I see Kirby signing the book  (btw .. its a fantastic book, more like a dictionary .. jammed packed with INFO.  Printed on good stock, glossy pics, covering history, growing coffee, cupping, roasting, grinding, dosing and tamping, extraction, milk, cleaning .. and of course reviews of grinders and machines.

Some highlights:

a double page Coffee Tasting Flavour Wheel
      step by step Latte art taught by Con Haralambopoulos (Rosetta, Double Rosetta, Heart on Rosetta and Tulip)

anyway .. this post by KK in the Iced Coffee thread:
      http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1243450886/14#14

Originally posted by 7B5F565655556F7B5F435D5F300 link=1243450886/12#12 date=1243514907
      I have recently been experimenting with
      Hot chocolate and adding real Canadian maple syrup (Yumm makes a nice drop)
      How about experimenting with the same syrup that I gave to Kirby to help her win the Australian Coffee in Good Spirits comp   (ps: I think it works better than Maple syrup   )

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1231997065/#52  < click link for a good read

To the Winning Bidder, I will send:

3x 300ml bottles of Kirbys secrect 100% Pure Organic Low GI Syrup  (RRP $8 per bottle)  as used to win the Australian Coffee in Good Spirits comp.

Comment

KK, au_d2 - tip of the hat to two class acts.

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by 61755F6432000 link=1243515067/2#2 date=1243520146
          How about experimenting with the same syrup that I gave to Kirby to help her win the Australian Coffee in Good Spirits comp Smiley (ps: I think it works better than Maple syrupWink )

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1231997065/#52< click link for a good read

To the Winning Bidder, I will send:

3x 300ml bottles of Kirbys secrect 100% Pure Organic Low GI Syrup(RRP $8 per bottle)as used to win the Australian Coffee in Good Spirits comp.
          Well if thats the new offer (added extras)
          I will bid again

$70

KK

Comment

Before you use Kirbys name to promote anything, please ask. Many things helped Kirby win her Coffee in Good spirits. The main reason why she won, was her intentions to help a friend out and win for him. That was "Nim". Nim also supplied Johhny Walker Blue & XO Cognac and designed the signature drink.

She wont be using this "secret" syrup in the Worlds. We have spent hours and hours training for this competition. Thank you for your help in the Australians. Please understand she wants to stay neutral in the political world of coffee.

As this is all for a good cause. We will donate 500 grams of the coffee she will be using in the Worlds, for the winning bid.

Comment

Well I am in for $95 at this stage

Comment

Hi All,

Just saw AndyLs post here and wanted to comment.

Firstly .. Thanks AndyL for the extra goodies for this Auction.  It is certainly for a great cause.

My apologies Kirby, I can appreciate the desire to remain neutral (as most people will know, Ive only been involved in the specialty coffee industry since November 2008 - dont know anything about the politics).  It wasnt just giving the syrup to Kirby, it was also other elements to her routine that I also had a hand in.  Elements of her script and the idea to cleanse the palate with green tea.  It certainly was a magical time, I guess you had to have been there to know.  And hats off to Nim, he has an excellent palate .. Congnac is one of my favorite spirits.

For now on, I will for the time being (until official launch July August 2009)  . call this .. "competition syrup"  as used in the  winning drinks of the 2009 Australian Coffee in Good Spirits Comp. and most recently as used by myself to win the local CoffeeFestival signature drink competion  (using an Aeropress-Kyocera hand grinder combo AND  Coffeesnobs Cote dIvoire Red African Cocoa as well as a dash (3mls) of Cognac)  

This was my first competition, and I can fully appreciate the preparation needed by competitors.   Im not sure if it was for the lack of sleep the night before - due to me sampling and getting the ratios right for my signature drink the night before.  Although I had the idea for my signature drink since the nationals in Feb, I hadnt designed a routine until the night before the comp.  Friday was spent running around all the Kitchenware suppliers hunting glassware. (Found some awesome shot glasses for use with the Aeropress) Friday night was spent doing heaps of trial runs.  The comp .. was spent shaking like a off center grinder.  

The result .. a WIN .. for the Aeropress / Kyocera / "Competition" Syrup / Ivory Coast Chocolate(Cote dIvoire Red African Cocoa)

Finally a shout out to Sean Edwards who I met at the competition.  He was up here promoting the book.  It was excellent to have met you in person and to chat about things coffee.  The book was very well received.

So far .. the winning prize consists of:

1) A signed: Sean Edwards "Home Coffee Machine Review" book.

2) 3x 300ml bottles of "Competition" syrup .. 100% Organic Certified, Low GI

3) 500 grms of the coffee being used by Kirby Berlin in the Worlds.  Best of luck Kirby .. Bring home the gold.

and today after the buzz of Saturdays WIN, I will also throw in
                4) 1x 500grm pack of Coffeesnobs 100% Ivory Coast Chocolate (Cote dIvoire Red African Cocoa) .. BUT .. as this shipment is still on its way into country,  the winner will have to wait for that stock to arrive  

This 100% Chocolate combined with the "competition" syrup is unbelievable.

Sincerely yours
                Mark

ps:  those that have already purchased the Kyocera Grinder know what the "competition" syrup is  

Comment

I see your bid Beanflying and raise it to

$100.00 :P

KK

Comment

Im a softy for a good cause

$110

Case.

Mark: Purchased....and still dont know :O

Comment

Originally posted by 6E5B42481C1D2B0 link=1243515067/9#9 date=1243832412

Mark: Purchased....and still dont know  :O
                      Same :-?

Comment

Originally posted by 5F574F45583C0 link=1243515067/10#10 date=1243832496
                        Originally posted by 6E5B42481C1D2B0 link=1243515067/9#9 date=1243832412

Mark: Purchased....and still dont know  :O
                        Same  :-?

hint ... lol .. read the .. "other coffee related items" section towards the end of the first PM details that I sent. Some of the earlier buyers may not have had that line inserted. Send me a PM and Ill send you out the most recent PM.

We are also working with a contract packer to make some sample satchels of the syrup. Hopefully theyll be ready in 2 to 3wks, I will ship out free samples to the Kyocera CoffeeSnobs family as well as some of the Ivory Coast Chocolate powder.

Comment

OK, so I FINALLY worked out how to make the auction waaaay more INTERESTING - I should have had a starting bid of something like $40 and then made it bid increments of ONLY $2. That would have really strung it out. Then I guess the increments would go up after we enter sudden death. Now that would be cool. Guess Ill have to find some more stuff for people to sign so that I can auction it off.

All of that said, fantastic bidding action here; keep it up, guys!

Cheers,

Luca

Comment

Originally posted by 435A4C4E2F0 link=1243515067/12#12 date=1243860777
                            Ill have to find some more stuff for people to sign so that I can auction it off.
                            Originally posted by 625E4358525344515952360 link=1242921961/21#21 date=1243816252
                            Originally posted by 6168736A616C64090 link=1242921961/20#20 date=1243815881
                            Ill add the magazine to my collection of autographed memorabilia
                            I havent signed anything for you yet. :-?
                            Let me know what you want me to sign.

Comment

Hi Mark,

Game plan for the competition is all about remaining humble and not saying too much. We dont want to tell the world what we are doing and give any hints.....
                              If telling everyone in the coffee industry "You made Kirby win the competition makes you feel better, go for it." I know I will never take that away from her.

Ill make it a 1 Kg of coffee now. Pretty exciting coffee too which a few lucky coffeesnobs have already tried.

Comment

Working...
                              X