This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !!SOURCED!! WTB: Vintage lever espresso machine

I would like to purchase a vintage single group lever machine and am willing to pay up to $5000.00 depending on condition.

It can be unrestored, however must be original and complete.

If you happen to have one lying around let me know!

Some examples of what Im looking for are the Gaggia Classica and the Faema Mercurio, as shown below that are from Enrico Maltonis collection.

The Gaggia Classica...

The Faema Mercurio...

Re: WTB: Vintage lever espresso machine

Hi Dennis,

nice Check out the Bay of Evil "italy" (they wont show up on a world search) if your prepared to take a punt. They run 230V power and there is a fairly steady stream of toys like this show up.

Comment

Thanks, and yes, Ive looked there and while there may be the occasional bargain to be had, Ive also heard some real horror stories - eg. goods not as described, never arriving, as well as being sold multiple times! Its why it deserves the name evilbay.

Comment

yep caveat emptor definitely applies but maybe I have just been lucky or really careful over the years

Best of luck with the search

Comment

I can understand your doubts about ebay Dennis but give it a go. When paying by Paypal your covered in most cases and 95% of disputes have gone my way.
          Ive only really had one problem and it was an item from a Melbourne cafe/cake shop. I eventually got my money back though as i have before.

That said...ive got a bucket load of bargains on ebay and will continue to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by 735259595E44370 link=1266716461/0#0 date=1266716461
            I would like to purchase a vintage single group lever machine and am willing to pay up to $5000.00 depending on condition.

It can be unrestored, however must be original and complete.

If you happen to have one lying around let me know!

Some examples of what Im looking for are the Gaggia Classica and the Faema Mercurio, as shown below that are from Enrico Maltonis collection.

The Gaggia Classica...

The Faema Mercurio...

Sent you a PM Dennis (hope the PM has not doubled up)

I am sure you will have a good starting point to find what you want from the information I sent you

KK

Comment

Thanks KK - Ive responded. He doesnt have what Im after.

Comment

Now thats coffee art! I can well understand your wish to find such a beauty! Sorry doesnt help your search, just some encouragement.

Comment

removed the post at mod request

post was a about a machine on a auction site

Comment

Thanks Leeham. Wanna go halves in the first one? You can come over to the shop and use it any time you like. ;D

Im really after a single lever. 50s not 60s or 70s, though do appreciate you looking out for me.

Cheers!

Comment

yeah Dennis the price is a bit out of control on that one

good luck in your search

Comment

Dennis,

when you get one...dont let me get too close without being ready to wipe the drool off!

Good luck with the search.

Comment

I may be in luck.

This weekend Im heading off for a private viewing at a secret location. :-X

Comment

Originally posted by 5C7D7676716B180 link=1266716461/12#12 date=1266989502
                            I may be in luck.

This weekend Im heading off for a private viewing at a secret location.  :-X
                            Where is that again Dennis ?

KK

Comment

evilbay can be hit and miss but with care you can end up doing well. My philosophy is what you lose on the swings you pick up on the roundabouts... research is also critical to avoid the dodgiest sellers. With experience you can identify the worst scammers- who can be quite clever in their manipulations of the evilbay system.

as to paypal: Caveat Emptor. their buyer protection is discretionary and for very expensive items you may not be covered at all despite promises to the contrary (read the fine print). Paypal will usually cover smaller purchases and this can lead to a false sense of security... reading the fine print is quite scary. Also many Italians will not accept it- and especially not for very expensive items (for large sums paypal is a real rip off for seller- very bad exchange rates and fees). Lastly shipping for a 60KG (plus packing) espresso machine from Italy can be very expensive (1000 Euro+)- so you need your own shipping agent- and to deal with a good seller who will pack well.

In all it took me over 4 months to land my Gaggia and Faema levers.... as soon as I have had them finally restored I will post more info on here. they will be available for sale (unless I simply cannot part with the Gaggia).

Comment

Working...
                              X