Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !!!SOURCED!!! - WTB: mid-tier espresso machine and grinder - total budget $1000

Hi all

I've been running lower-end espresso setups at home (Gaggia Classics of various vintages) for 7-8 years and worked as a barista for a year, playing with a Marzocco and a shiny new Slayer. I got great results from my Gaggias but have just moved back to Aus from the US so I need a new setup, and I want something a little more heavy duty that I can enjoy for the next 5 years plus.

I'm looking for a second hand espresso machine and grinder with a combined max budget of $1000 - no flexibility on that figure. I know I could get something like a Lelit Combi brand new for that price, but I'd rather stretch my dollar further by getting a good quality used setup.

My only criteria are that the equipment works well and has been looked after, and that the espresso machine has a warm-up time of say 30 minutes or less.

I'm in Melbourne but as long as freight would come within the $1000 total budget that's an option.

Hi there - I would recommend the Rancilio Silvia paired with the Rocky grinder - solid gear and has a large following on here for the manual setup fans.
    Mine hasn't skipped a beat in years!
    Cheers

Comment

Hmmmm. Yeah a Rancillio Silvia is an option. They're not particularly hard to find either, Jetblack have a couple of 2nd hand ones on their website at the moment for example. Even the more expensive one leaves you with a couple of hundred for a 2nd hand grinder.
      Another option would be a Breville dual boiler. You could probably get a new or reconditioned BES900 for well under $1000, or a 2nd hand BES920.
      A third option would be keepin your eyes on the bay, g-tree and the market place here for other, usually older things. Things like a Wega Mininova, Faema Compact, Rancillio S26 etc.
      Whatever you do, spend as much as you can on the grinder. As good as some of the small conical burr ones are there's usually a noticeable step up to the small, semi-commercial, flat burr grinders like a Rancillio Rocky, Compak K3, Macap M2M, Mazzer Mini, La Pavoni Zip, Anfim KS, for example.

Good luck.

Comment

Can highly recommend the Silvia. I got one with a Compak K3 Touch a few years back. The machine itself works fine but the base got slightly rusted.

Just upgraded to a Breville Dual Boiler on the weekend which came with the Smart Grinder for under a grand (after cashback deals) and I'll probably be selling off the smart grinder as three grinders is probably overkill

Comment

Personally, going for a Silvia or similar type of machine wouldn't realise much, if any, difference from the Classics you've been using up to date.

See if you can keep an eye out for a used Bezzera BZ-99 or similar machine; even old ones that have been well looked after, will still have many years of useful life left in them, and parts are easily obtained should it ever become necessary. You occasionally see decent grinders going for very attractive prices in here too, just a matter of being patient....

Mal.

Comment

I second looking for a bz99. I love mine. Upgraded from a silvia. Paid 700 in excellent condition. Bought off this site. Massive improvement over the single boiler silvia.

Comment

Be patient and aim for at least a hx machine with one of the grinders leroy mentioned. I had volumetric hx as my criteria and I picked up a Nuova Musica with Grinta grinder for $650 on the bay. Added a macap m2m and kept grinta for decaf. Still under 1k all up. Patience was the key.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I have a couple of PMs from people offering next-level options beyond the Silvia/Lelit, so I'm considering those. Additional offers still welcome as the ones I've got are stretching the budget

Comment

Mal's onto it, I don't know why I didn't think of Bezzera. Older Bezzeras actually come up on eBay fairly frequently, especially in Sydney and Melbourne so I'd be keeping a close eye on the bay for sure. They are a top value, work horse machine and you should get one with your budget quite easily. The good condition ones tend to sell between about $400 and $700. The other option is an old Boema as they pop up occasionally, and the other obvious one would be a Nuova Simonelli Oscar. The Oscar has a few detractors due to its lack of an anti-vac valve, but I don't really see this as a problem. You just need to purge via the steam wand after warm up and it's good to go. The only other thing is that you probably can't leave it on for any great length of time as you can with some other prosumer machines. But it sounds like it makes a great espresso and has good steam power. There are some upgrades and mods that can be done to it too for not too much $$.
                  Other grinder options include things like the Cunill Tranquillo. I saw a good condition one of these on G-tree in Sydney recently for $125, which is great value.
                  Happy hunting.

Comment

Sourced a nicely reconditioned Bezzera BZ99s... mods can close this thread and I'll make a separate one for a grinder thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mrfurion View Post
                      Sourced a nicely reconditioned Bezzera BZ99s... mods can close this thread and I'll make a separate one for a grinder thanks
                      Nice. [emoji106]🏻

Comment

Originally posted by mrfurion View Post
                        Well done mate....

Lots of fun brewing ahead...

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                        X