This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !!!SOURCED!!! - WTB: Heatsnob or similar

Heatsnob or similar data logger for <$40.

I'm at the point where I need to be getting better feedback about temps when I'm roasting to improve more and follow consistent roast profiles regardless of batch size. So before I pull the trigger on a Heatsnob I just wondered if anyone had an old data logger that they're not using that they'd be happy to sell. Just looking to save some money really so willing to pay $40 max including shipping to NZ. I can pay via PayPal or internet banking in Australia or NZ.

Cheers.

If you're willing to DIY and know a bit about electronics/programming or willing to learn, you can make one yourself with an arduino and max6675 thermocouple interface arduino breakout boards. You can get an arduino copy for about $10 and the max6675 TC interface is about $3, so you can make a dual input logger for < $20. I've done this myself and it works great. There are max6675 libraries for arduino so the code is very simple. If you write a program to communicate with the arduino over serial that outputs the temps, artisan can read that using the "External program" device.

I can give you more details if you'd like on how to wire it up/program it if you want to go down that route.

Comment

Sounds really interesting. Suggest you give all the wannabe techies a tutorial (pictures please), if you have time and inclination.
      I'd be all over it!

Comment

Hmm...

Andy has developed a logger at very low cost which does the job brilliantly. In addition, the accompanying software provided for nothing represents $$$$ when you add similar stuff to a commercial roaster.

Yes, perhaps you may be able to make your own at lower cost if your time is worth nothing to you, but may I suggest that etiquette and the tiniest modicum of respect would dictate that these discussions be conducted elsewhere?

Comment

Thanks for the offer Agrajag, but I don't have the time or the know how to do anything like that. As Chris pointed out above the Heatsnob is already good value so I don't want to circumvent the proper process. Also it's probably a fair call that sharing that info is better done via PM or other media.
          I'm still happy to take a 2nd hand Heatsnob or DMM or the like from anyone that has one they don't use, but if I haven't sourced anything by payday (next week) I'll happily grab a new Heatsnob.

Comment

I dunno! $80 for a made to order setup that's ready to go, and people are trying to reinvent the wheel to try and save a few bucks

I agree with Chris, "may I suggest that etiquette and the tiniest modicum of respect would dictate that these discussions be conducted elsewhere"

Comment

Edit: PM'd info as suggested. I agree that spending a bit of $$ (and yes, a heatsnob is very good value) for something that "just works" is what the vast majority of people will want/should do. Just thought I'd let people who have the inclination know that DIY options are available

Comment

Originally posted by Yelta View Post
                Ipeople are trying to reinvent the wheel to try and save a few bucks
                It wasn't about saving a few bucks for me. I bought a heatsnob and it's great, as is the software, however it doesn't work for everyone in all situations (e.g. linux), so when my requirements changed I had to look for something else. I don't think it's so bad to put it out there for others where the heatsnob isn't suitable (the vast minority)

Comment

Yep...

A good idea for DIYers but this is NOT the thread to be espousing details or spruiking the concept...

Mal.

Comment

Sorted. Grabbed myself the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                      Sorted. Grabbed myself the real deal.
                      Well done.

Comment

Working...
                      X